Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12717 12718 [12719] 12720 12721 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14383945 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #190770 on: August 28, 2019, 07:25:03 am »

I got the job too. My salary's been summarily trebled for a start, my budget's two orders of magnitude higher, and they're so ludicrously well-equipped that it almost doesn't matter.

As for the people, it's quite something to find out that people you've spent your career looking up to have been geeking out over what you can do together. Half the interviews swiftly devolved into me designing and coding solutions to problems they've had for years or decades, and I've already heard back that one of them has apparently worked. There are a whole lot of previously impossible but very impactful things we've got to get through.

It's kind of weird how all the unpleasantness of college and grad school can suddenly become retroactively more than worth it, but...damn. Sometimes it really does all work out.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190771 on: August 28, 2019, 10:22:45 am »

That's what I'm hoping for tbh. Had a phone interview on Monday for a postition I'm hardly qualified for, but they gave me a shot anyway.

I solved the test case they gave me on-paper with 10 minutes of an hour to spare, but my infosec masters roommate managed to ruin output in a heartbeat. Here's to hoping they were looking for an algorithm rather than smoothly-working code.

Haven't heard back from them immediately so they didn't recoil in disgust, I hope.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190772 on: August 28, 2019, 12:31:05 pm »

I got the job too. My salary's been summarily trebled for a start, my budget's two orders of magnitude higher, and they're so ludicrously well-equipped that it almost doesn't matter.

As for the people, it's quite something to find out that people you've spent your career looking up to have been geeking out over what you can do together. Half the interviews swiftly devolved into me designing and coding solutions to problems they've had for years or decades, and I've already heard back that one of them has apparently worked. There are a whole lot of previously impossible but very impactful things we've got to get through.

It's kind of weird how all the unpleasantness of college and grad school can suddenly become retroactively more than worth it, but...damn. Sometimes it really does all work out.

Hey, that's great news!

Congrats!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #190773 on: August 28, 2019, 12:34:59 pm »

While we're talking jobs, I have an interview next Friday. I think I should get the position, since it's very entry-level and I'm a fairly appealing candidate.

But I might not! You never know.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190774 on: August 29, 2019, 11:10:28 am »

I now have an installation of Microsoft edge, internet explorer, old firefox, firefox quantum, and google chrome, hopefully, one of those should still support flash after 2020
EDIT: Palemoon as well, which should add another chance to do this

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190775 on: August 29, 2019, 12:17:21 pm »

why?

If this is for flash games, get the stand-alone player.

https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html

Grab the "Projector".  that's the stand-alone player.

They also have this one for windows, if the projector foes not work for you.

https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/flashplayer/flashplayer_32_sa_debug.exe
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 12:30:31 pm by wierd »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190776 on: August 29, 2019, 12:20:18 pm »

well that is a better idea then what I'm doing, thank you very much

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190777 on: August 29, 2019, 01:15:38 pm »

You might also be interested in the Flashpoint project, which has a massive archive of flash games and animations.  It uses a local proxy to make them playable even when they... expect to be run remotely.

I could rant about the way Flash is being abandoned, but this is the happy thread - and it's okay, people are preserving all that history, and keeping it playable!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #190778 on: August 30, 2019, 07:14:50 am »

edit: Nevermind, wrong thread.

Autohummer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190779 on: August 31, 2019, 12:45:07 pm »

Probably qualifies as a WTF as well, due to the timing, but a few minutes ago, I was idly browsing the net listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDtj-2qnTXk

When, at ~the 2:50 mark of the above, I came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J675BQaIuQs

Big Boss Karan S'jet is back.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #190780 on: August 31, 2019, 06:04:43 pm »

Whether it's happy is yet to be seen. Relic isn't involved and there's already been one godawful in-name-only cash grab game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #190781 on: August 31, 2019, 06:30:27 pm »

... wait, the desert thing? From what I've seen it wasn't actually godawful? Bit cash-grabby, I guess, but alright as a game otherwise.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #190782 on: August 31, 2019, 07:08:52 pm »

Homeworld-but-cars-in-a-desert looked decent.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #190783 on: August 31, 2019, 09:20:43 pm »

Deserts of Kharak has vaguely Homeworld elements but without the 3D aspect of the combat (yes there were aircraft, no it's not the same thing) it doesn't mean very much; it's a spinoff, not really a main entry IMO. Tanks and land battleships are cool but giant freaking spaceships are miles better. It wasn't a bad strategy game, it's just not at all the Homeworld sequel people wanted the most.

Autohummer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190784 on: September 01, 2019, 12:48:46 am »

I finished Deserts of Kharak and my only gripe is that there isn't enough of it. Campaign feels too short (though it has the same number of missions as HW2, IIRC,) no mod tools and unit variety is too low. The whole thing looks like a cut-down version of something much bigger.

PS: If you have support cruisers and they get attacked, you hear an announcement saying "support frigate under attack." This is evidence to me that the "cruisers" that we have were actually supposed to be frigates, and there was going to be at least one more size-class above it but it was cut probably for budget/time reasons.
Pages: 1 ... 12717 12718 [12719] 12720 12721 ... 13310