Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12722 12723 [12724] 12725 12726 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14382007 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #190845 on: September 15, 2019, 11:01:33 pm »

Captioning videos may not earn much, but it's pathetically easy and I can do it whenever. This is a significant step up from actual freelancing, where I had to "market myself" to get a contract making asset flips for $4 an hour.
I'm often looking online for work and have been utterly swamped the past few weeks because of that combined with studies T_T Wish I knew how to look but knowing that other folks are building upon themselves makes me happy.

That and I got to meet epic folks within and from Bay12 lately so eeee \o/

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190846 on: September 15, 2019, 11:23:29 pm »

Captioning videos may not earn much, but it's pathetically easy and I can do it whenever. This is a significant step up from actual freelancing, where I had to "market myself" to get a contract making asset flips for $4 an hour.

Wait, you can get paid for that? Where? How?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #190847 on: September 16, 2019, 01:15:10 am »

Wait, you can get paid for that? Where? How?

Here is the site that I use, but there's plenty of similar ones. You have to pass a short test before you're in, but it's really easy. It took about four days for them to get back to me, but I got in no trouble.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #190848 on: September 16, 2019, 01:41:58 am »

"May not earn much" I'unno at current exchange rates that pays significantly better than the job I was aiming for next year, even if it takes several minutes to transcribe a minute of audio.

Edit: I haven't submitted my thesis, but I think it's ready. Soon.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:55:20 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190849 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:50 am »

My moral waiver paperwork is in the recommendation stage, meaning I'm only 5 bureaucratic steps from boot camp!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190850 on: September 16, 2019, 11:00:19 am »

I have gotten my girlfriend and my munchkin hooked on Dungeons and Dragons. It's been wonderful to storytell agian. It's largely the only thing keeping me sane at this point.
That’s cool
A DND club started in high school the year after I graduated, so my brother is able to play it and maybe learn how to GM a game, then maybe his friends and I could play a game

D&D is one of the easier games as a player (very simple character generation, small list of abilities for non-mages). Shadowrun is easier for learning to GM, because the normal game is episodic (one session is one job). If everyone is new, you might look into stuff like Arkham Horror Card Game or something like the old Hero Quest board game. It's not the same, but it starts getting you into the mindset of playing a character as part of a team, trying to accomplish the goal together, and maybe making some decisions in-character.

Having someone actually teach how to GM would have been real helpful when I was learning. I'm not even sure where someone would go to learn, or where I got any of the advice I pieced together.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190851 on: September 16, 2019, 11:52:54 am »

I'm waiting for a time when the friends come over again. It's been a while. I've been playing RTDs where teams are a thing, so I understand how the team playing worrks. I tried running a DnD game with my brother as a character, and improving as I went. He didn't seemto like improv too much for some reason. Doesn't every plot start as an idea? wouldn't improv be a logical first step?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190852 on: September 16, 2019, 11:59:02 am »

It can be. Its usually better to have a bunch of prepared, prepackaged stuff to use for Plot, and improv the in between bits.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190853 on: September 16, 2019, 01:27:08 pm »

It can be. Its usually better to have a bunch of prepared, prepackaged stuff to use for Plot, and improv the in between bits.

My setup for preparing a Shadowrun was 1) recap of the previous week, written as a news story for the players to read while I got everything organized 2) written out speech for the employer of the week, so the players knew what the mission was 3) a list of the locations they would go to and who was there to meet (I also sometimes created character sheets for important enough characters, and knew about how much opposition of what types they could/would face at different times) 4) any details/notes 5) page references for rules I knew I needed and 6) rewards for completion. This is usually 3/4 of a page of paper, total.

Number 3) is literally just a list, maybe with some description of the place. I'm not planning out how the players get there or what they do while they're there. My job ends at setting up a puzzle and some goals. The players are the ones who interact with it (and the entertainment I get is mostly from them coming up with stuff I hadn't considered). As long as I give them less-than-complete information or something isn't what they were expecting (I add a twist to what I told them), I only need to put together a goal and some places. It's less work, gives the players more options, and it's real hard to go off the rails when I didn't bother creating any.

To help with making stuff up on the fly, I make sure I have some knowledge about what's going on in the background. If you're attacking the half-finished death star that nobody is supposed to know about, what is security like? Probably an incomplete or not-yet-functional electronic security system, because it's not built. Security is probably made of soldiers, because it's a military base, and they're probably stationed there long-term instead of rotated out because it's supposed to be a secret. You could justify having a large amount of security personnel because it's a military base, but it might make sense to have few because housing is also unfinished and secrecy is easier with fewer people. I'd want to make a decision on that beforehand. The builders being everywhere means you're more likely to be seen trying to do something, but people will be less curious about weird noises because construction involves weird noises (visual perception will be in play a lot more than auditory, and the players would have more success blending in than trying to sneak around). Also, the builders are just there for the money, so as long as it doesn't affect them directly, they aren't overly concerned what the players are doing. So if the players decide to blow their way in, the explosion will get less attention than it would elsewhere, but I would check to see if anyone saw them walking in through the hole, and if they care that they saw the players (anything that will cause them more work or put them in danger/get them yelled at). If they decide to pretend they're pizza delivery people delivering to the secret base, they're going to do poorly. If they want to blow the whole thing up, I would consider that it's a giant military base with a giant laser on it, which would have a large reactor to power it, so they would be able to find a thing to blow up. If they want to steal everything, they could get some welding equipment, but not much else of value, because it's a partially-finished base. Knowing that Vader is coming to visit means everyone is working harder, and paying less attention to what you are doing. But, if you look like you aren't working, you're going to get people upset. You can make a lot of decisions based on what a place is, and what people's goals are.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190854 on: September 16, 2019, 04:09:43 pm »

Oh my goodness I got a job interview scheduled for this Thursday that over doubles my current salary.

I am crazy nervous.

Also, I didn't get evicted this month.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:19:27 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190855 on: September 16, 2019, 04:26:45 pm »

This is good. Help on interviews, well more of a warning but also help. The help is that they tend to ask standard questions like previous work experience, how well you work in a group, a bit about yourself(list personality traits relevant to the job), and in some they may ask what you would do in a given scenario. Just answer the questions.

The  warning is that there various reasons you might not get the job that isn't related to your suitability for it. There could be a law making a company interview a set amount of people before hiring someone already inside the company. They could have already picked a person for it. My point is there are various reasons one might not get accepted that isn't your fault.

Good luck on the interview. I hope you get accepted. If you aren't accepted, it is not necessarily your fault.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #190856 on: September 16, 2019, 04:53:29 pm »

STAR also helps when answering questions.

Situation: My company was engaged in a merger with a former competitor
Task: It was my job to open channels of conversation between the different businesses and get everyone reading off the same page.
Action: I engaged in cross-company discussions via email, utilising Skype and various media appropriate to the recipients' differing time zones
Result: The merger went smoothly, and I got a commendation for excellence in management.

The above scenario is fictional btw, but highlights how handy the formula can be. I've known interviewers who couldn't parse answers unless they were laid out like this.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190857 on: September 17, 2019, 12:33:41 am »

Oh my goodness I got a job interview scheduled for this Thursday that over doubles my current salary.
Holy shit, d00der, good luck! I hope you land it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190858 on: September 17, 2019, 04:09:23 pm »

Thanks!!!!! I'm so nervous. AND there was another surprise interview today for a different job.

That's two :[]
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190859 on: September 17, 2019, 04:15:08 pm »

Thanks!!!!! I'm so nervous. AND there was another surprise interview today for a different job.

That's two :[]
Good luck to bith
Pages: 1 ... 12722 12723 [12724] 12725 12726 ... 13310