Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12723 12724 [12725] 12726 12727 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14379168 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #190860 on: September 17, 2019, 04:28:24 pm »

Oh my goodness I got a job interview scheduled for this Thursday that over doubles my current salary.
Holy shit, d00der, good luck! I hope you land it.

Thanks!!!!! I'm so nervous. AND there was another surprise interview today for a different job.

That's two :[]
Hurrah!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190861 on: September 18, 2019, 06:34:49 am »

I'm waiting for a time when the friends come over again. It's been a while. I've been playing RTDs where teams are a thing, so I understand how the team playing worrks. I tried running a DnD game with my brother as a character, and improving as I went. He didn't seemto like improv too much for some reason. Doesn't every plot start as an idea? wouldn't improv be a logical first step?

A completely improv setting may feel like there's no structure or point to anything. A good approach is to drop some plot hooks, see what gets the players attention then go with that. You can also create a bunch of small events/encounters/stories, and keep them around for when they might be useful. They don't have to be tied to any specific location, the player's won't even know. This way you have a bunch of interesting stuff for the players to see whichever direction they go in, and it won't feel completely random and made-up. So just write up a big bunch of NPCs, and think of interesting ways the players could meet them, along with a bunch of varied encounter/stories. Save them up until you need them. If they don't fit, put them aside in the stack instead of trying to shoe-horn them in. Maybe the players went through one of your dungeon's but didn't visit a bunch of rooms. You can just recycle the bits they didn't visit for a later story. Keeping room/encounter etc info on cards rather than writing in a book is useful for this reason.

For a really well-fleshed out campaign I get the feeling that the characters should have a mix of short, medium, and long-term goals that they're working to. Short-term is the immediate stuff, like the current encounter or task. Medium term is stuff like clearing the current dungeon, completing the next leg of a quest or travelling to the next city they need to go to.

Long-term is the defining stuff of the campaign. It should be deeper than "level up". For example, say that the main character's father was an inveterate gambler and racked up huge debts, and there are gangsters coming after the main character to collect. Additionally, throw in a detail such as the father owned a tavern, and that tavern is now occupied by the gangsters. Now, you've got a good plot hook for a small campaign. The player needs to work out how he's either going to raise the money or gain enough strength to get the collector's off his back and/or regain his father's tavern, which itself would be a useful location for further plots. It doesn't need to be something like this, but having something that's bigger than a single quest, yet smaller and more realistic than "save the world" is better than nothing. First level characters are kids. Them heading off to save the world, gaining levels as they go makes little sense and isn't a realistic motivator. The long-term goals need to be within realistic reach of the character's based on their current level. Once they're on the way to solving the original "long term" goals you drop hints (subtly) about bigger plots. For example there could be hints that the gangsters are working with the corrupt local baron's men, which could lead into a bigger plot about dealing with that corrupt lord.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 06:41:43 am by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190862 on: September 18, 2019, 06:51:55 am »

I'm waiting for a time when the friends come over again. It's been a while. I've been playing RTDs where teams are a thing, so I understand how the team playing worrks. I tried running a DnD game with my brother as a character, and improving as I went. He didn't seemto like improv too much for some reason. Doesn't every plot start as an idea? wouldn't improv be a logical first step?

A completely improv setting may feel like there's no structure or point to anything. A good approach is to drop some plot hooks, see what gets the players attention then go with that. You can also create a bunch of small events/encounters/stories, and keep them around for when they might be useful. They don't have to be tied to any specific location, the player's won't even know. This way you have a bunch of interesting stuff for the players to see whichever direction they go in, and it won't feel completely random and made-up. So just write up a big bunch of NPCs, and think of interesting ways the players could meet them, along with a bunch of varied encounter/stories. Save them up until you need them. If they don't fit, put them aside in the stack instead of trying to shoe-horn them in. Maybe the players went through one of your dungeon's but didn't visit a bunch of rooms. You can just recycle the bits they didn't visit for a later story. Keeping room/encounter etc info on cards rather than writing in a book is useful for this reason.

For a really well-fleshed out campaign I get the feeling that the characters should have a mix of short, medium, and long-term goals that they're working to. Short-term is the immediate stuff, like the current encounter or task. Medium term is stuff like clearing the current dungeon, completing the next leg of a quest or travelling to the next city they need to go to.

Long-term is the defining stuff of the campaign. It should be deeper than "level up". For example, say that the main character's father was an inveterate gambler and racked up huge debts, and there are gangsters coming after the main character to collect. Additionally, throw in a detail such as the father owned a tavern, and that tavern is now occupied by the gangsters. Now, you've got a good plot hook for a small campaign. The player needs to work out how he's either going to raise the money or gain enough strength to get the collector's off his back and/or regain his father's tavern, which itself would be a useful location for further plots. It doesn't need to be something like this, but having something that's bigger than a single quest, yet smaller and more realistic than "save the world" is better than nothing. First level characters are kids. Them heading off to save the world, gaining levels as they go makes little sense and isn't a realistic motivator. The long-term goals need to be within realistic reach of the character's based on their current level. Once they're on the way to solving the original "long term" goals you drop hints (subtly) about bigger plots. For example there could be hints that the gangsters are working with the corrupt local baron's men, which could lead into a bigger plot about dealing with that corrupt lord.
Thank you

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #190863 on: September 20, 2019, 10:43:50 am »

Finally finished moving into my new home. Feels good to be out of the old place.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #190864 on: September 20, 2019, 05:22:35 pm »

Finally finished moving into my new home. Feels good to be out of the old place.

I'm a bit addicted to moving, I've moved 6 times in the last 4 years. You clean everything out, it all gets cataloged and squared away, and then you examine everything in your life and put it back together in a better way. It always makes me feel so fresh and clean, like i'm making progress. I love seeing how my life has changed since the last time, and setting up in a new place.

Speaking of progress though, I feel like i'm making some too. Just got my first paycheck from my new job, and finally got an appointment with the doctor so I can get my prescription for hrt. I'm eating more, and better too. I just actually feel balanced, healthy, and productive all at the same time for what might be the first time in my life. I think I might actually be happy. :)
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #190865 on: September 21, 2019, 12:02:49 am »

I, too, appear to have found a new home! It's a really small two story apartment deal. I get about enough floorspace for my bed and not much else.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190866 on: September 21, 2019, 12:20:02 pm »

I am really happy to still be living in my apartment, and not, say, in a shed.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190867 on: September 21, 2019, 12:29:30 pm »

How did you solve the missing rent money issue?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190868 on: September 21, 2019, 12:45:25 pm »

How did you solve the missing rent money issue?

I owe money to people now, but I still get to live somewhere.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #190869 on: September 21, 2019, 02:14:09 pm »

And, within the month, you will find a can of gasoline and an address by your doorstep?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190870 on: September 22, 2019, 04:37:25 am »

Probably got the loan from the mafia, he's gonna be getting a call from the don telling him to whack someone to repay his debts.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #190871 on: September 22, 2019, 10:20:16 am »

Nah, he’ll just be told to hold on to a package that will be collected at some indeterminate point in the future.

He’ll know the collector when he shows up, though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #190872 on: September 22, 2019, 11:02:16 pm »

Started winding down for bed at midnight with a screwdriver and a bowl of rocky road after spending all Sunday rushing through my chore list and playing vidya 'cause sometimes I like to pretend I'm not getting older. Checked my schedule for next week since I knew it was going to change some from the norm, and I find out that I don't have work tomorrow at all, so I've got an unexpected three day weekend. On the flipside, five nights after, but oh well. Feelsgoodman.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #190873 on: September 23, 2019, 10:27:21 am »

I picked a lot of blackthorn/sloe berries today. Gonna make me some sloeberryburnwine.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:28:53 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190874 on: September 23, 2019, 11:11:02 am »

Depression is starting to abate (although this was the worst I've had ever) and I can feel the good feeling coming back. Feel like I wrestled an Ogre. Battered, hurt, but ultimately victorious once more.

Fuck you depression. That all you got?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 12723 12724 [12725] 12726 12727 ... 13310