Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12735 12736 [12737] 12738 12739 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14374653 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #191040 on: October 12, 2019, 05:10:40 pm »

I got a $20 dollar tip helping out a customer, I'm happy now. And have food
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #191041 on: October 13, 2019, 02:56:59 pm »

Just happy. Likely an artificial result of my depression cycle but I'll take it.

Also I'm writing up a DnD 5e campaign that might end up as a podcast.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191042 on: October 13, 2019, 03:11:13 pm »

Wait, is Reelya a bot? :0
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191043 on: October 13, 2019, 03:20:50 pm »

Just happy. Likely an artificial result of my depression cycle but I'll take it.

Can you link the podcast here if you make it one?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #191044 on: October 13, 2019, 03:47:25 pm »

As long as it doesn't violate forum rules, absolutely. Not to diminish the fun of the game and sharing that fun with others, but consistent view counts would make money for me. And if I can get paid to play DnD I'm definitely going to do so.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191045 on: October 13, 2019, 03:58:43 pm »

As long as it doesn't violate forum rules, absolutely. Not to diminish the fun of the game and sharing that fun with others, but consistent view counts would make money for me. And if I can get paid to play DnD I'm definitely going to do so.
Just put it in Creative Projects. :)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #191046 on: October 14, 2019, 07:15:23 pm »

Joe Buck isn’t commentating on Monday Night Football! Happy days.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191047 on: October 14, 2019, 07:36:39 pm »

My little guy discovered Mario Kart recently. It's the newer mobile version, it practically drives itself.

He is 3 years old, and also ranked me up on the global charts by one. This means that, in a roundabout way, somewhere in the world some poor bastard just got beat by a 3 year old at Mario Kart.

Follow up question: Some of you folks have kids. How do YOU regulate vidja game time? See I don't have a good past example, my mother is on the side of Jack Thompson, and my old man did not involve himself in those particular matters.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191048 on: October 14, 2019, 07:48:00 pm »

I don't have kids, but as someone that grew up playing videogames, keep videogame time to an absolute bare minimum and reserved as a special treat, unless it's multiplayer with friends and family. Playing a lot by one's self, staring at a screen, is an inherently antisocial activity, and breeds antisocial sentiment in the personality if unregulated. That's my theory, I wish I could give a better citation than my own anecdotal experience.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #191049 on: October 14, 2019, 07:49:33 pm »

Yeah, video games are for when you’ve done the things you’re supposed to have done.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #191050 on: October 15, 2019, 02:48:23 am »

I played a reasonable amount of games when I was a kid, but they were almost all games with some kind of cerebral component - strategy games, puzzle games, straight-up educational games. We also had pretty restricted time on the computer, and it was always something we asked permission for first, up until I was... twelve or so maybe? Even so, I often preferred to read, so I might not be a great example. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191051 on: October 15, 2019, 02:52:28 am »

Having kids seems like it would be quite a battle, to keep them just deprived enough to become decent adults without going overboard.
Like, wtf do you do when they reach an age where they want a smartphone like all the other kids? It seems like that age gets younger and younger all the time. Are you just gonna say "no way Jose" and throw your kid to the metaphorical wolves, i.e. the mockery of his/her peers?!

I'm glad to hear your kiddo's a natural gamer though, Duna. Pretty sure that was around the age that I first dipped my teensy toe into the waters of vidya, myself. Granted that was with an old Amstrad computer and games like Fruity Frank rather than a smartphone that plays online, but y'know. :)   

Oh yeah! My current Happy that I came in here for: I plugged in my Ipod and the stupid jingle my computer makes irritated me so greatly that I actually did something about it - I tracked down the control panel in the wilderness of Windows 10 and disabled system sounds entirely! Hooray! I have done something to improve my life in some small and inconsequential way!   
No more cheerful bleeps and bloops cutting into the frosty grimness of my black metal!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #191052 on: October 15, 2019, 06:07:56 am »

As somebody who pretty much ruined my own life with games: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO, DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD NEAR THE DIGITAL HEROIN. It will literally destroy their ability to enjoy more productive pastimes as they grow up, not to mention how so much of gaming business is literally out to make your child addicted and trick or even harass them into paying money for it.

There should be a none-or-minimal-gaming rule well into their teenage years. Or until they're adults in case they turn out to be lonely or introverted kids. This also includes you as parent, because children will do as you do and not as you say.

Of course, I don't have I child. I will likely never have any. The closest I have is my niece. And I'm going to make my damnestthat she doesn't turn out like I did if I so have to break I to my brother's home and put a hammer through every single one of his computers and screens.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #191053 on: October 15, 2019, 06:24:10 am »

Well, the flip side is multiplayer games. I may have been more introverted (certainly possible, though I am also no extrovert) had I not had access to group gaming. Indeed, even this forum helped me in my more formative years as a place to communicate and express myself. All through the power of shared community games and succession forts. Incidentally, these also sparked my interest in writing, poetry and storytelling.

My own approach to gaming and children would be to view it on a case-by-case basis. If a child displays tendencies indicating an addiction to gaming early-on, then limitations on not only gaming but certain types of games would be highly appropriate. If they, on the other hand, engage with them every now and then as one of a few hobbies (such as sport, reading, what have you) and social activities (after school clubs, youth clubs, playing outside with the neighbourhood kids) then gaming can actually be a source of inspiration, art and creativity for your child; not a black hole into which hours are funnelled.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:28:15 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191054 on: October 15, 2019, 07:15:55 am »

As somebody who pretty much ruined my own life with games: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO, DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD NEAR THE DIGITAL HEROIN. It will literally destroy their ability to enjoy more productive pastimes as they grow up, not to mention how so much of gaming business is literally out to make your child addicted and trick or even harass them into paying money for it.

There should be a none-or-minimal-gaming rule well into their teenage years. Or until they're adults in case they turn out to be lonely or introverted kids. This also includes you as parent, because children will do as you do and not as you say.

Of course, I don't have I child. I will likely never have any. The closest I have is my niece. And I'm going to make my damnestthat she doesn't turn out like I did if I so have to break I to my brother's home and put a hammer through every single one of his computers and screens.

I get you, but you shouldn't over-react based on your personal experience. Most people, especially girls don't tend to end up like that despite having access to plenty of video games. So while I get that you're worried that your niece will become a game-junkie you also need to be aware that this is in fact statistically pretty unlikely, and basically everyone is bombarded with the same stimuli, so even if she becomes averagely addicted to digital entertainment, she's only competing in life against people with the same addictions.

EDIT: so, the worry that this young girl is going to end up with some condition where she's shut-in and playing single-player games on a PC ... pretty damn unlikely. There are generational aspects to that as well as gender-correlated aspects. The most likely thing to look out for is that she's going to end up with social media addiction fueled by an always-connected smartphone. But, basically 2/3rds of the current generation especially girls have that.

EDIT2: my general observations would be to avoid giving the kids electronic entertainment in their rooms. Let them have non-digital stuff to play with when by themselves. Or limit electronics to stuff with some value such as Casio keyboards or similar. Stuff they have to physically interact with to make stuff happen would be a good rule of thumb. like, laser-tag gear would be something worthwhile and electronic, because they have to be running around to use it.

Keep the screen-based stuff as living room stuff. hold out on giving them a smartphone or tablet. possibly give them a laptop first. At least then they have to learn to type, which is a useful work skill less of the upcoming generations probably have access to.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:38:28 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 12735 12736 [12737] 12738 12739 ... 13310