Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12738 12739 [12740] 12741 12742 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14377413 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #191085 on: October 16, 2019, 12:43:14 pm »

In a time before time, I had a name.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #191087 on: October 16, 2019, 12:57:43 pm »

The extinction rebellion is a popular bunch where I live. A bunch of people got up and went to Dublin for the Protests, up until the Guards started arresting People. Not that it stopped all of them.

And no, they’re not refusing to have Children, they’re rebelling against the extinction of Animals. I respect them for what they’re doing, but Protesting isn’t my thing, so I’m not involved myself.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191089 on: October 16, 2019, 01:11:06 pm »

Related to thorium vfs uranium. His other videos are good too, though not related to this particular topic
I read that as "thotium".
Imagine the possibilities of harnessing such power...
What is "thothium?"

Thot is an acronym for the insulting term "that hoe over there." Yoink misread the r as a t in Thorium, hence his temporary confusion.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191090 on: October 16, 2019, 01:36:41 pm »

Related to thorium vfs uranium. His other videos are good too, though not related to this particular topic
I read that as "thotium".
Imagine the possibilities of harnessing such power...
What is "thothium?"

Thot is an acronym for the insulting term "that hoe over there." Yoink misread the r as a t in Thorium, hence his temporary confusion.
Ah. Misreading things and mishearing things can produce confusion and odd responses. I sometimes hear a word as a different word, which causes me to respond weirdly, and I say what I thought I heard them say, so they understand confusion.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191091 on: October 16, 2019, 07:07:44 pm »

We're already working people to death for the heavy metals we're using now. You don't want to get into solar being dominant. Natural gas is probably cleaner, anyway, after cleaning up from solar panel production. Not to mention that the sun only shines on about half of the earth at a time, so you'd need worldwide transmission and production. Solar is the "look we're doing something" of power production. At least argue for wind.

I'm not sure that mining is the key thing to argue about against solar. There are a few grams of lead and cadmium in some types of solar panels, but they last 25 years. Smartphones are more of a concern there. We currently pull out 67,000 metric tons of uranium per year. So, are they treating the uranium miners particularly well? Also you bring up wind, but people say the same thing about rare metals in wind.

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/wind/big-winds-dirty-little-secret-rare-earth-minerals/
Estimates of the exact amount of rare earth minerals in wind turbines vary, but in any case the numbers are staggering. According to the Bulletin of Atomic Sciences, a 2 megawatt (MW) wind turbine contains about 800 pounds of neodymium and 130 pounds of dysprosium. The MIT study cited above estimates that a 2 MW wind turbine contains about 752 pounds of rare earth minerals.

As for solar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_telluride_photovoltaics#Materials
Cadmium (Cd), a toxic heavy metal considered a hazardous substance, is a waste byproduct of mining, smelting and refining sulfidic ores of zinc during zinc refining, and therefore its production does not depend on PV market demand.

We're using it because it's a waste product from other mining we were doing already. This is what makes the cadmium cells cheaper than silicon-based cells currently. But the cadmium is only a concern in cadmium-based cells, not all solar cells. Also:

Tellurium (Te) production and reserves estimates are subject to uncertainty and vary considerably. Tellurium is a rare, mildly toxic metalloid that is primarily used as a machining additive to steel. Te is almost exclusively obtained as a by-product of copper refining, with smaller amounts from lead and gold production. Only a small amount, estimated to be about 800 metric tons[53] per year, is available.
So, this is something we have a strict cap on how much we can use. It limits how many cadmium-telluride based solar panels we can make per year. So, scaling up solar panel production beyond that limit won't increase the amount of cadmium people are exposed to, nor put more strain on miners of rare metals, since further increases in solar production above these limits will be using other technologies such as traditional silicon based cells. Thus it would be factually incorrect to just scale up the current cadmium / tellurium usage to the whole industry as it grows. We're using those cells because they're currently the cheapest because they use what are industrial waste products from other types of production.

EDIT: also, for the "nuclear buys us 20 more years" argument, with current technology. That's wrong. Nuclear plants create CO2 emissions when you're building them, but less emissions when they're running. They have to run for long enough to make up for the pollution released during construction, which includes from concrete production and from the vehicles needed to mine, move, build everything.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 07:28:16 pm by Reelya »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191092 on: October 17, 2019, 12:25:26 pm »

Ordered a new graphics card on Sunday, arrived Tuesday - free shipping option had it arriving Friday(tomorrow) at the earliest - and I got around to installing it today. Had an almost small-panic when I realized the adapter I also got(the monitor is old-ish, and only has VGA/DVI ports) didn't fit the monitor's cable. Then my stupid ass realized that the adapter *is* a replacement cable, and plugs into the monitor just fine. It works. Had another almost panic when the monitor didn't immediately come on when I restarted after installing the drivers, but it did.

Opened Arma 3, turned everything to maximum, and set up a small skirmish in the editor. I don't think I lost any frames at all during that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191093 on: October 17, 2019, 01:19:19 pm »

I envy you, the good kind of envy.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191094 on: October 17, 2019, 01:31:23 pm »

I envy you, the good kind of envy.
there's a good kind of envy? I didn't know this. I've always heard of envy in a bad way
A video  about envy

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191095 on: October 17, 2019, 02:28:11 pm »

The "good envy" is, I believe, generally a case of "you have something I want to have, and I'm happy that you get to have it", whereas bad envy is "you have something I want to have, and I resent you for it".

This is slightly distinct from the generic "feeling happy for someone", which is more "you have something that doesn't really mean much to me one way or the other, but it's obviously important to you so I am happy that you get to have it".

Also, good to hear from you LordBaal! The world seems to have forgotten about Venezuela a bit, it's nice to know that you're still staying alive and together enough to pop in here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191096 on: October 18, 2019, 10:42:06 am »

Had a minor surgical operation today, which seems to have gone well.  :)

On a side note, injections in the groin and especially directly into the genitals hurt like hell.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191097 on: October 18, 2019, 11:14:40 am »

On a side note, injections in the groin and especially directly into the genitals hurt like hell.

You know what you said.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #191098 on: October 18, 2019, 11:48:35 am »

Delet tis.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191099 on: October 18, 2019, 11:56:19 am »

Congratulations! (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 12738 12739 [12740] 12741 12742 ... 13310