Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12767 12768 [12769] 12770 12771 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14383448 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #191520 on: December 08, 2019, 09:14:18 pm »

Since they're clear I can see their stomachs inside their abdomen stuffed full of lobster meat.

Feeding lobster to its own kin?

It is terrifying.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191521 on: December 08, 2019, 09:48:33 pm »

Shrimp and lobsters are different species, both are crustaceans. It’s more like us eating other mammals than cannibalism

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191522 on: December 09, 2019, 03:49:33 am »

Well shrimp are cannibals anyway, they eat basically anything they find. Dwarf shrimp like I have mostly eat microorganisms, but carrion, dead plants and faeces are on the menu too.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #191523 on: December 09, 2019, 06:03:44 am »

Don't we have a taboo against eating other primates anyways?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191524 on: December 09, 2019, 06:23:36 am »

The degree of taboo is proportional to the degree of economic advantage.

See also, bushmeat.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #191525 on: December 09, 2019, 06:42:42 am »

You may call it long pork

I call it prime beef
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191526 on: December 09, 2019, 07:10:13 am »

You may call it long pork

I call it prime beef

Say it like it is:  Eat the rich.  No finer cut of meat.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191527 on: December 09, 2019, 08:08:26 am »

"Sopa du macaco uma delicia" meme migth want to have a word with you.

Ps don't google it if you are a sensible person. Is not gore or sex but still...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #191528 on: December 09, 2019, 08:18:10 am »

Yeah... far as I'm aware our only real aversion to other primates is that they apparently aren't the best meat in the world. Other than that, like with most things, if they're around people will eat them. I'd say around and won't kill you to eat, but... fugu. Conditionally deadly doesn't actually stop us. Availability is the major barrier, taboo a distant runner up when it even exists.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #191529 on: December 09, 2019, 08:21:24 am »

There's some African book which starts with an old woman refusing to eat monkey because it was so taboo. It highlighted that the white man had destroyed all other food options.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191530 on: December 09, 2019, 08:58:56 am »

I'd say around and won't kill you to eat, but... fugu.
Also the most likely introduction of HIV into our species!

At least more likely than another theory I'd heard, which was "Furfags fucking a chimpanzee", as espoused by a scholar and a gentleman I had the misfortune of interacting with on a forum many, many years ago.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191531 on: December 09, 2019, 09:13:29 am »

Yeah... far as I'm aware our only real aversion to other primates is that they apparently aren't the best meat in the world. Other than that, like with most things, if they're around people will eat them. I'd say around and won't kill you to eat, but... fugu. Conditionally deadly doesn't actually stop us. Availability is the major barrier, taboo a distant runner up when it even exists.
This, if the monkey meat were really tasty and/or they were easy to bread and produce enough meat what do you think would happen.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191532 on: December 09, 2019, 09:58:01 am »

Well shrimp are cannibals anyway, they eat basically anything they find.

It's fine, then. Carrion.

I uh...need to go check...a thing.

I think kuru?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191533 on: December 09, 2019, 05:34:52 pm »

There's some African book which starts with an old woman refusing to eat monkey because it was so taboo. It highlighted that the white man had destroyed all other food options.

Not saying it's wrong, but we'd want to have an additional source other than a source which clearly has an agenda. Wikipedia has a page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_meat#By_region
For example:

Consuming monkey meat is a defining feature of the Bari people, who "perceive the eating of monkey meat as a boundary between them and non-indigenous people"; in recent years, however, some Bari tribe members have shied away from the practice because of how similar monkeys look to humans

So for at least one indigenous group, which admittedly is not necessarily representative, monkey meat is a traditional thing.

EDIT: However, the broad picture is that food taboos exist, may vary by region and often have some economic basis (I'm including costs to health as economic costs). So there might well be African regions where it's taboo to eat monkeys either due to disease or low economic value. But the idea that white man agriculture has driven Africans to the point of starvation so they have to eat monkeys sounds far-fetched. Sure there are famines, but there have always been famines. We should help them out but that doesn't mean white man caused the famines in Africa. Righto, they're hungry and eating monkeys which they never used to do because before the White Man came nobody was ever hungry. Uh, not buying this story.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:42:37 pm by Reelya »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191534 on: December 09, 2019, 05:49:11 pm »

Here in Venezuela some people eat monkey but it's something really occasional, never heard of someone that eats it everyday or as often as say beef, fish or chicken. Also is something done on some rural areas only.
Pages: 1 ... 12767 12768 [12769] 12770 12771 ... 13310