Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12909 12910 [12911] 12912 12913 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14373854 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: [AWOO] PREMIUM AWOOZONE put your awoos in here (Happy thread)
« Reply #193650 on: July 02, 2020, 03:04:31 am »

I am at work at that time. Not possible on most days.

I suppose I could try digging out the DSLR and a tripod, and trying to figure out how to do a long exposure... but why? There is nothing scenic to take a pic of here.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193651 on: July 02, 2020, 08:49:35 am »

I just got done playing Return of the Obra Dinn, and I have to say it was an artistic af mystery game, and it really deserves every accolade it gets. Took me about 12 1/2 hours to complete all the mysteries and 100% the game, though it definitely wouldn't have taken me that long if I weren't a dumbass and actually took notes and paid more attention and didn't make stupid assumptions that led me into dead ends.

I really enjoyed it, not a lot of games offer such an in-depth investigative experience, while at the same time not being obtuse about it. I managed to get a lot of the mysteries through educated guesswork, and at the time I thought that was what you had to do because actual solid information is so rare, but looking back it seems like you could actually 100% the game using nothing but solid deductive reasoning and no guesswork at all.

The game does give you a few freebies, but only enough to be able to complete the game, if you want to get ALL the mysteries, you're going to have to make real extensive usage of your zoom in button to examine scenes, backtrack to previous scenes and look for new clues as you get more context, listen to audio clips over and over again, and slave over every precious detail your book gives you.  And I did all that, and I said Fuck It, and started making good guesses, and I think the only reason I got all of them was because I got lucky before I got bored. Now, I'm POSITIVE that I didn't need to make guesses, but that's what I did, cause I just couldn't suss out whatever clues you needed to be able to discern the identities of the 30 or so crew members that are never explicitly mentioned by name by anyone anywhere, are never in any conversations, possess no material clues as to their identities, and the only reason you know they exist is cause they're milling around in the background in too many scenes to ignore.

I did get to make some good deductions though, and those moments were the best. I'd be revisiting an old scene looking for clues, notice a small clue that changes everything, and the Ace Attorney Theme starts playing in my head for how fucking hyped I got. I also made some startlingly bad deductions, as I'm sure I wasted more than an hour looking at scenes, wondering what the fuck just happened, going to google to look at naval hats, zooming in on people's shoes and socks like that means shit, ignoring the obvious evidence in front of me, and then when I finally guessed the correct answer I think "Oh, I'm a dumbass, the answer was right there the whole time...". Now, I'm still not sure HOW I could have found out some of those identities without guesswork, but I'm fairly sure that it's possible and I'm just stupid.

I highly recommend, the art style is spectacular. I played on Commodore 1084 style cause that was easiest on my eyes, but they all give the impression of the game being from old shitty adventure games from the floppy disk era, while not being shitty and being awesome instead. I don't even know what you'd call it, I want to say noir, but that's not exactly right, it's like being in a mystery novel made into a black and white movie. Of course it was made by the same guys that made Paper's Please, so you can trust that it transports you to another time and culture.

My only gripe with it is that the voice actors for some of the characters just seem off ever so slightly, with the most obvious one being the Captain, who doesn't sound like an older sea captain, but definitely sounds like a fresh faced millennial who's never gotten his hands dirty once in his life. He's a prominent character, so his unfitting voice broke my immersion fairly often, but that's obviously a very subjective nitpick.

So go pick it up while it's on sale, and for the love of god don't spoil yourself on anything.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193652 on: July 02, 2020, 09:03:33 am »

That's that sorta old-school, text adventure-style game that came out recently, right?   
I seem to remember being intrigued when I first heard/read about it. Sounds pretty dang neat. I might have to check it out!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #193653 on: July 02, 2020, 10:41:02 am »

Got my last paycheque (and I'm toasted,) and I'm feeling alright. My mother, father, and siblings are going to Halifax tomorrow and leaving the house to me for the weekend. I have friends coming tomorrow, and nothing that needs to be done at all.

It is going to be a very relaxing few days.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193654 on: July 02, 2020, 11:29:13 am »

Awoo?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193655 on: July 02, 2020, 11:41:04 am »

Got my last paycheque (and I'm toasted,) and I'm feeling alright. My mother, father, and siblings are going to Halifax tomorrow and leaving the house to me for the weekend. I have friends coming tomorrow, and nothing that needs to be done at all.

I don’t hang out with friends very often, what’s usually done?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193656 on: July 02, 2020, 12:08:31 pm »

Now I'm not KingofstarrySkies, but I think I can speak for everybody in general terms. Like, for the most basic, there's usually a bit of grooming one another before the alpha female of the group (or male if the former is absent, but that's rare) kills the sacrificial goat and everyone chants the appropriate psalm together for the next hour or so. By that time the blood should have fully drained, so the orgy can commence. Some people get all fancy with incense and shit, but that's the usual.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #193657 on: July 02, 2020, 12:22:43 pm »

This comment made me mildly sad. It is also highly relatable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193658 on: July 02, 2020, 12:56:14 pm »

Uh yeah, kinda same.  It brought back happy memories of the last few years.  Almost every week my friends and I would get together over Skype for at least a little tabletop.  Sometimes we'd get together in person, either for a buffet or just to hang out together.  There was often alcohol involved but I never minded being designated driver (it's complicated).  Occasionally we'd watch a movie but more generally we just sat around and talked about nerd stuff.  Tabletop, video games, especially nerdy grand strategy games...  Well into the night sometimes.

I'm actually still welcome there, my housemate keeps reminding me.  Sure there's some really shitty politics/"jokes", but that was mostly just one of them teasing me when I was... impaired.  That wouldn't really be a problem anymore.  Even if I don't commit to their tabletop sessions, which often went very long into the morning, it'd be nice to chat about Stellaris and Crusader Kings and stuff.

Yeah... that could be really good.  Just gotta back off when the social anxiety rears up, not try to push through it~  And not rise up to the edgy political baiting.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:07:52 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #193659 on: July 02, 2020, 01:06:05 pm »

That reminds me, I hung out recently with a friend I hadn't seen in a long time, that was nice.

Now to replicate that somehow.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193661 on: July 02, 2020, 06:24:03 pm »

Obra Dinn, eh? I'm planning to get a copy of that soon. Cool! It's nice to see the positive review.

Usually you get together, maybe eat a little something to help each other bond, and do an activity like playing a game or taking a walk. You change up activities every so often. Sometimes you agree ahead of time what you'll do, sometimes you don't, and sometimes plans change at the last minute. People decide together moment by moment what is going to happen based on everyone's needs and contributions to the experience. Most of my experiences with friends have the three ingredients of food + life discussion + a walk. For me, the activity part is optional, but it helps to have something to do together if people are feeling bogged down in conversations about emotion.

In my friend groups I'm a little bit unusual compared to most of my friends. Usually everyone wants to go straight to the activities (whatever they are) but I like to ask how everyone is doing first and talk about feelings. And then I ask a few times "ok, but how are you really doing." Not like that exactly -- more like "hmm, how are you doing with X these days?" where X is an important recent experience like "finding a job" or "working through the problem with your girlfriend that you asked me about." The timing on this is important though because it's easy to ask too often. This technique takes a lot of practice but can be rewarding because the relationship often becomes closer and more intimate.

I like to bring up topics about things that people are working on in their personal lives, work, and so on, and I also like to ask about experiences that they have that are somewhat unusual (dreams, memories, psychotic episodes, experiences of the paranormal).

With the Autistic friend I used to have, we would sometimes go to get ice cream and then talk about feelings and shared interests like animals, video games, our problems with our mothers, and certain anime shows (normally featuring animals, which she was very interested in). My PDD-NOS friend and I would go on long walks where he would look at moss and plants (one of his special interests) and I would talk about my feelings and relationships for a long time, and he occasionally filled in with stories or would talk about his own experiences, and often showed me plants that he liked. I really enjoyed all of that.

One of my ex's, who was a computer science guy with Asperger's, liked to pose me math puzzles or watch me play computer games because it was a lot of fun for him to see how I thought about things. He showed me lots of things like spiderwebs and other neat stuff on long walks and cooked dinner for me once a week. When I wanted to talk about my feelings and relationships, though, he didn't have too much patience for it (to be fair, I really like to talk about feelings and relationships a lot more than your average person). The relationship didn't end up working out but I still value it a lot as part of my growing up.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #193662 on: July 02, 2020, 07:31:39 pm »

y'all are making me alone and sad - well, reminding me

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193663 on: July 02, 2020, 07:35:49 pm »

Rippin' cones and smashin' slabs. Also the occasional pinga.   
...Gods, I miss friends. And drugs.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #193664 on: July 02, 2020, 07:37:04 pm »

But Nature, you're hanging out with friends right now!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 12909 12910 [12911] 12912 12913 ... 13310