Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Semi-automatic Orcsicle Maker  (Read 1663 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Semi-automatic Orcsicle Maker
« on: September 20, 2009, 05:32:23 pm »

I haven't really been playing DF properly lately due to a number of things but when I got some free time this last weekend I decided to test out an idea I had for a death trap. The trap is controlled by five levers and abuses how on cold maps water left to the open air freezes solid.

It works like so:
  • Heat a long open air passage from bellow with magma.
  • Wait for a squad to enter and lock them in.
  • Flood the room with water.
  • Remove the magma from bellow the passage allowing the water to flash freeze.
  • Heat the passage again melting the ice.
  • Drain the room.
  • Open the doors then clear the bones and armour.
Ready for the next squad if they haven't fled yet.

I'm not the first to use similar methods but I've not seen one that you don't have to mine out to reset nor have I seen one 3 tiles wide. I had a number of problems and a handful of prototypes later I've got it working. I thought you might like to see an Orc squad put the trap through its paces.

Semi-automatic Orcsicle Maker

Enjoy.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Semi-automatic Orcsicle Maker
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 07:49:40 pm »

Cool.

Actually, very cool.

I've seen something like this on a smaller scale.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 09:27:35 pm »

Beautiful. I am thinking of opening up my underground pool to the world so I can freeze kill all of the olmmen, snakemen and giant olms. My crossbowman has already shot all of his bolts at a single olmman

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:31:31 am »

The last thread I read about an automatic freezing trap like that pointed out that their items stay encased in the square they were frozen in if the ice melts.  IE You HAVE to dig them out if you want their stuff.
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:03:07 pm »

I was actually working on something like this, but I was running into problems because a) I wanted it above ground for some reason... I don't remember why now, and b) I wasn't sure how to drain the water.

Or rather, I wasn't sure if I HAD to drain the water to reclaim their stuff or if I could mine it out and still get to it. That would solve alot of problems if I could just chip it out of the ice.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.