Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bugs: filling waterskins & dwarves going outside  (Read 1541 times)

Sheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bugs: filling waterskins & dwarves going outside
« on: August 20, 2006, 07:57:00 pm »

Filling waterskins seems to be bugged to an extent - it takes upwards of fifty seconds for one dwarf to fully fill a waterskin from a well.  It sort of negates the point of having soldiers carry water if it takes longer to fill the skin than it would to run from the station point to the well and back.

Dwarves will also ignore the going outside options in order to gather materials - which is about the only reason they would be going outside anyhow.  If the option is set to either soldiers can go outside or dwarves stay indoors, people will still come and go as they please for all practical purposes.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Bugs: filling waterskins & dwarves going outside
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 11:48:00 pm »

A number of people have mentioned the waterskins now.  Although I haven't seen anything strange, I'll check it again.

The "outside orders" settings aren't used very much it seems, at least in a non-buggy fashion.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:01:00 am »

I timed it.  4 min to fill up a water skin.  And that wasn't even the longest, or at least it didn't feel like the longest.

I watched his job the entire time.  No cycling, no getting distracted, pure waterskin filling.

TrevorGood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:18:00 am »

I've also noticed this, though I can't say that it happens everytime, I have definetly noticed that at certain times they'll fill a waterskin for 2+ minutes.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 02:47:00 am »

Me being smart:
Maybe there's a hole in the waterskin?

Me being helpful:
It's probably something along the lines of that "Mother seeking infant; getting water" bug that was killed a while ago, where the mother Dwarf is torn between grabbing her kid, and getting a drink from the well. It's likely similar to the Military personel... Return to his post, or filling his drink container; a tough choice! (Water Skin? No way in hell i'd drink from something called that!  :p )

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"