Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: choppy (not generally slow - just... choppy) play?  (Read 941 times)

Garanthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
choppy (not generally slow - just... choppy) play?
« on: October 08, 2009, 02:30:17 pm »

Hello everybody!

I'm just wondering... my DF is getting very choppy as of late (since my new immigrants arrived, pushing me from 24 to 50 dwarves). It is not that it's slow, but one moment my dwarves move really slow (2-3 fields per second), and then they jump 20-30 fields faster than I can look, just to go back to being really slow. Each phase only lasts for about 1-2 seconds. I switched off weather and temperature, no change whatsoever. My PC is not overly powerful, but should be enough (AMD Sempron 3200+ with 1.5 GB RAM).

Any idea what may be going on?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: choppy (not generally slow - just... choppy) play?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 02:50:04 pm »

What version are you using?  Are there a lot of moving fluids on the map (rivers etc. at uniform 7/7 depth don't count)?  Do you have lots of animals and pet-locked doors?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:52:00 pm by Footkerchief »

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 03:13:46 pm »

This happened to me... I have no idea how to prevent it. Unless a 40d# version works - try it if you haven't yet.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:29:40 pm »

It happens to me at school when playing off of a USB drive.  Slow read write speed or something.

Though I highly doubt that would be it on a regular home computer. A regular PC hard drive should be able to keep up easily.  And 1.5GB RAM should be enough to run without much virtual memory usage taking up CPU cycles if yer running anything but vista.

Gameload wise the game can drop speed every so often during large hauling jobs, and that could feasibly appear choppy.  The same could also happen when a gobbo ambush or seige first shows up. 

So I'm guessing the culprit would have something to do with pathfinding. What exactly I donno.  If you have other processes running in the background they could cause choppy behavior too, but I assume that's the first thing you tried?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:39:26 pm »

It happens to me at school when playing off of a USB drive.  Slow read write speed or something.

Oh, that... that would make sense.  The game does write to the log pretty frequently.