Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner Mafia 3: It all ends in silence.  (Read 41193 times)

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Beginner Mafia 3: It all ends in silence.
« on: September 23, 2009, 10:44:23 pm »

So begins YET another Beginner's Mafia.  We will need 8 players that haven't played in a mass of mafias already (a few is fine though) and 2 people that will act as IC. 

sidenote: If you are IC, feel free to play the game like you normally do, but be ready to explain about terms, game theory, and other questions.

I'd also appreciate it if a few others came in as commentators.  How I envision it: at the start and end of each day, they sent a PM to me telling their views on the game: how everyone looks, and mistakes, ideas on how they would act during the situation.  At the end of the game, the PMs will be posted.

The Rules:

You may NOT PM to anyone except to me or from one mafia member to another.  Furthermore, ALL discussion about this game, even indirectly, can only occur in this thread.

All votes must be colored red.  To avoid confusion, only use that color when you are voting for someone.  You must also Unvote before you vote for another.  That was an issue last game so I'll stress again, if you do NOT unvote, your new vote will NOT count.  No Lynch votes are allowed.

Days will last for 3 days or until the conversation dies down.  Nights will last 24 hours or until all night roles have been sent to me.  The deadline will be posted regularly and I retain the ability to hurry the deadline for inactivity or extend the deadline if enough request it.  Note that any deadline that falls on a weekend will be pushed back to the following Monday.

Upon deadline, the player with the most votes will be lynched.  If there is a tie, there will be no lynch.

Once dead, you may not speak or PM anyone about the game, living or otherwise.  A Dead chat will be made available.

Mafia will be given their own Chat to speak to one another once roles have been sent.

Bolded sentences can be used to catch my attention.  Italics used by me is flavor and is just there to be interesting.

Lastly, do NOT quote my PM text and do NOT edit your posts (you can double post if you need to)

You can, of course, ask any questions you may have. 

Roles:
  Townsperson: The basic town role. Your goal is to help the town lynch all of the mafia players. You win as long as the town wins.
  Mafia: The basic antagonist role. You and the other Mafia players work together to kill off the townspeople. During the day, you pretend to be normal townspeople and voting on who is to be lynched. During the night, you will tell me the name of the player you wish to kill along with which of you will kill them. You win once you have greater then or equal to the number of town aligned players.
  Mafia Roleblocker: Similar to the mafia.  However, in nights when you are not the one assigned to kill, you may choose one person for yourself.  The person you choose will be unable to perform their night action.
  Cop: An honest cop, he may choose one player each night to investigate. He will then learn if that player is Mafia or Town.
  Doctor: The doctor may choose one player each night to protect from the mafia's night kill.

Players:
1. Vector
2. Diakron
3. Tehstefan
4. Major_Sephiroth
5. Dr. Johbson
6. Criptfeind, who is replacing Sonearage
7. Apostolic Nihilist, who is replacing Jetsquirrel
8. ExKirby
9. RedWarrior0

ICs:
1. Eduren
2. Webadict

Subs:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:17:53 pm by dakarian »
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Mafia 3: Sign up!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:49:01 pm »

I guess I'll IC this one.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 10:51:57 pm »

one more of these and i will consider myself IC right now i feel kinda semi-experienced. these are great learning mafias :)
Back to Mafia with me!

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 11:08:13 pm »

Throwing my hat in the ring! I read your summaries in the other thread, and just couldn't pass up this chance.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 11:22:26 pm »

In because I still suck at Mafias.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 12:02:44 am »

Needs me to IC? I can yell REALLY REALLY LOUDLY!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 12:09:39 am »

Yeah, even though I'm playing in this one I think you're the best IC we've had thus far... so come on in and tell us we're all Doing It Wrong  :)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 04:06:04 am »

I'd love to IC, but we already have many volunteers. I think webby would be a good one this time.

I would say Diakron still doesn't count as IC yet, in my humble opinion; he's getting there, though.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 05:54:29 am »

IC ME.

IN.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 05:55:28 am »

I want to get in on this. I've been lurking this forum for about two months now, plus I played this game a few times in actual real life, but I think I should learn more anyway.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 08:21:48 am »

Woo to the incoming :D

Though I now have 4 people who want to IC.  That's too many: the poor novices wouldn't stand a chance.  For now, I'll have two while hoping I get enough novices to make both be able to fit in.  Toony and Panda, mind offering some between day commentary? 

Edit:  If you guys have any questions at all, from things like "What's WIFOM" to "OMG HOW DO YOU PLAY!" feel free to ask.  This game is meant to be both training and introduction to forum based mafia.  Even if you've played the live version, the forum version has a good deal of quirks that can leave you confused.

While we wait, feel free to read over the other Beginner's we've had so far: Beginner 1 and Beginner 2

The topmost post in these forums also holds a tutorial about how mafia is played.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 08:32:39 am by dakarian »
I KNEW IT!

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 09:43:05 am »

Great, because I have two questions that come up alot. What does Lylo stand for, and what does WIFOM stand for as well?

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 09:56:29 am »

I can answer those, as a wiki walk told me. A Lylo is a situation where the town must lynch a scum, or otherwise they will lose the game, perhaps though nightkills, or simply because they won't have a majority anymore.

WIFOM stands for wine in front of me, basically when you try and outguess outguessing someone. Normally categorized by saying such things as "But what if thats jsut what he wants us to think?" It doesn't get you very far, I know, I've been guilty of it.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 10:07:19 am »

Tehst got both of those right.

WIFOM is one of the mafia's most devastating tools do to the confusion it provides.  A quicky example:

Webadict(town): Tehstefan is being pretty helpful.  That tends to be pro-town
Litia(scum): Are you sure that's why he's doing that?

Take note the thoughts that run through your head from there.  Chances are in goes like this:

'well, I guess he could be just trying to act helpful to hide his scumminess.  But what if he's being honest.. but what if that's his plan...'

You're now stuck in an endless loop of logic. 

It's VERY easy to get stuck in WIFOM or accidentally hit someone with it.  The mafia, though, will try to get the entire town stuck in it since confusion and misdirection = mafia win.  If you can slip in the words "That's what he wants us to think", you're in WIFOM and it's time to pull back and look at what evidence you DO have.

I KNEW IT!

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 10:12:28 am »

Ah, perfect, thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27