Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41

Author Topic: Not-so Beginner Mafia: End- Turn to walk away  (Read 56053 times)

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not-so Beginner Mafia: Sign ups (1 slot left)!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 06:03:50 pm »

If I had more experience with online Mafia I'd probably join, but I suppose I'll just spectate for now.
Should be interesting to see a more professional game going on. Beginner's Mafia is/was really just about manipulating the novices into agreeing and voting with you; I wonder how things will differ with experienced players.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 06:05:44 pm »

You can join, Apost.  Just remember that it's a game, no matter how seriously some people may be pushing you (often they're just trying to push you to see if you'll crack and make a mistake).  Anyway, all players, even very good ones, can make mistakes.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 07:13:31 pm »

To be honest, Apo has a bit of a point.  The beginner games have a habit of being overwhelmed by the 'experienced novices' and the ICs.  It makes for a nice training for the middle ground but I'm not sure how well it is for novices to be able to play it out.  All players push each other, but a novice don't have much of a choice BUT to follow since they don't know of the technique.

Example: Beginner 3 is running very well as a game, but there's not much actual teaching going on in it. 

I'll ponder about that for the next game. 

As for here, I'll be honest, Bay12 taught me a very powerful thing about this community (including myself): We're not used to the day game.  Mafia wins easily in the Beginner matches because there's very little power role influence, and the town tends to flounder without that. 

We'll see though.  For now, this has too many people in it to give up on and too few to start.  Meh.

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 07:24:52 pm »

Bah.  I will totally IC your shorts off for Beginner's 4, if you let me play in that capacity.  I think that certain factors influenced the occurrences of 3, which I will discuss once the game ends.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 07:35:31 pm »

I'll join, then. I'm an experienced mafia player, but I haven't played online much, so it'll be interesting to see how I can adapt my usual strategies.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 07:40:47 pm »

I'm tempted to think that perhaps ICs shouldn't be in-game players but folks willing to comment and coach players as they play.  I'd put one 'Town' IC and one 'Mafia' IC: the town IC would speak on the thread and help the town learn about strategy, town/scum tells, how to attack, defend, find scum, so on.

The Mafia IC would speak on the Mafia quickchat (NOT in the main chat) and help the mafia read the game, manipulate the players, and otherwise do their mafia thing.

For THAT role, the ICs would have to be pretty good at Student Based teaching: being able to guide and assist people without stealing their free will or letting them lean on you. 

It would diminish the game itself but it would mean Beginner turns into a great place to train and practice rather than 'just another game'. 
I KNEW IT!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 07:46:19 pm »

Yup, I'd be in for that.  As for experience, I've spent hundreds of hours tutoring people in various subjects; generally, they've turned out fairly well.  I figure it'd be a good thing to try out.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 07:48:13 pm »

YAY!!  Final person!

As for the matter of strategy.. there's a few things about online play:

1. EVERY WORD THAT IS SAID IS PERMANENT.  That's a big deal.  The mistake you made in Day 1 will always be there.. waiting for someone in Day 3 to read and go "oh wait!"

2. Instead of reading someone's face, you read their text.  It's actually pretty similar, right down to trying to get them to get emotional and watching for 'small cues'.  It's just a matter of learning how that "eye twitch" translates into text.

3. the last thing that may be different here than other online places: Mafia get day and night access to talk to each other.  It means they can become more coordinated but it also means it's easier to find the other once you find one.

And yes, me explaining a lot is why I run Beginner Mafia :P.  Just be happy I'm not playing here: I flood the games with walls of text.

In any case!  Time for me to get to writing! 
I KNEW IT!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 07:52:08 pm »

Righteous Jam!  Totally awesome dudes.

Vanilla games are always tough because you rely more on "feelings" than facts.  Actually, this makes a good point.  Begineer games are actually harder because you need to read people more.

:-P

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: Not-so Beginner Mafia: Opening: Please read the notes!
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 12:24:02 am »

Night falls within the the BM Elephant, a well known 5-star hotel. 

The Merchant's Guild has spent the day arguing about a matter of importance, and would've argued all night if a young, pretty girl in maid uniform did not send them off to their rooms.  Soon after, she makes her way back towards the staff break room. Inside, the 9 hotel staff sit waiting for her.  She speaks as she enters.

“The merchant's guild are restless over the death of their Head Merchant.  I think they are trying to save their necks by attacking the Family.”

A wave of her hand forestalls the outcries from the staff members.

“They don't suspect us..”

“They better not.  None of us did it,” yells Toonyman.

She sighs, then continues, “They guess that a few of the Family snuck among them. They probably have, too.  None of us need to get involved with that mess, our only orders were to maintain the hotel appearance and leave them alone. Besides, we have our own problems.” 

“You 9 are among the latest recruits into the hotel.  All of you know that the Litia Family maintain this hotel and have made it clear that you wish to enter the Family.”

Each one nods in agreement.  This causes the young maid to smile.

“Good, then what you don't know is that we believe two of you came here a spies from another Family, and if any one of you makes one noise before I'm done I'll have your head!”

Vector closes his mouth silently.

“I'll make this short and sweet.  In the day, you are to do your normal work for the hotel.  At night, you find those spies and bring them to security outside this room.  That's your orders.”

The maid turns to leave, but Apostolic Nihilist stalls her with a hesitant raise of his hand, “You won't help us” he asks.

The maid turns around, not quite looking at the recruit, “I...have to go deal with something urgent.  It can't wait, sorry.” With that, and a blush, she turns and leaves the room.

Those that remain in the room look at each other, waiting for someone to say something.

Note 1: If it hasn't been noticed, the story runs in the same time and setting as Beginner Mafia 3.  However, the days and nights are flipped: you will debate and vote during the night while the “night roles” work during the day.  Just as long as you remember that Night=Vote, Day=Sleep everything will work like a normal game. Since this is not a beginner's mafia, I hope I can play the story a little more without confusing you.

Sidenote: yes, that makes this Night 1.  It also means that the events of Beginner's Mafia 3 Night 1 are happening at the same time.  No, none of it will matter to the actual game.

Note 2: the bad/good guys are flipped as well.  The Litia Family Recruits represent the 'town' while all who aren't of the family are the 'mafia'. 

Understand?  Sign ups are closed.  Roles are being written and sent now.  The game will begin shortly.
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: Not-so Beginner Mafia: Night Meeting 1.. Day = Night here so go vote!
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 01:22:18 am »

It is now Night 1.  I hope you remember that it is NOW that you vote for who to lynch.

Deadline: Wednesday, 7th 11am EST
I KNEW IT!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Not-so Beginner Mafia: Night Meeting 1.. Day = Night here so go vote!
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 01:24:21 am »

Pandarsenic extinguishes a cigarette. "Org, why are you never helpful in any Mafia ever?"

The fourth wall shatters. Pandarsenic picks up a fragment of it and tosses it in a trashcan.

I mean, honestly. You don't scumhunt, you go absent or activelurk, you just plain refuse to contribute. Why?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not-so Beginner Mafia: Day 1.. well it's actually NIGHT but nm that.
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2009, 01:35:26 am »

Apostolic Nihilist.  What, in particular, attracts you to nihilism?

I'm an existentialist sort of dude myself.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2009, 01:37:24 am »

Awww, don't I get a cool role for being a spectator like in Beginner's 3?

Not that that's the only thing I care about.

*sniff*
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2009, 01:58:41 am »

Apostolic Nihilist.  What, in particular, attracts you to nihilism?

I'm an existentialist sort of dude myself.

Whimsical usernames can often betray the true nature of their user's state of mind.
In contradictory terms, it means nothing.

Now, Pandarsenic, tell me; who is more dangerous in a game of mafia:
An unknown player with no previous habits to base your assumptions off of,
OR
A veteran who's played many games, their responses, strategies, and actions all archived?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41