Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Civ: Naga  (Read 1403 times)

Byrac

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOYAH!!
    • View Profile
New Civ: Naga
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:08:13 pm »

Yes, I am making a new civ based(mostly) on the naga race from the warcraft series. They are still a work in progress, but I thought I would put up what I had and see if anyone had any advice or criticism(constructive please) about the creature, entity, or items.

Naga Civ

There you go, have at it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:48:28 pm by Byrac »
"Oooh... Nice beard on that one..."
I know when you said 'beard' you were probably referring to the hair growing on the dwarf's face, but... AGH... MY EYES...!

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: New Civ: Naga
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:50:15 pm »

I am not sure, but do amphibian civs work? There were some serious issues, were not they?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Byrac

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOYAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:00:38 pm »

They have to have [SWIM_LEARNED] instead of [SWIM_INNATE], but other than that I haven't encountered any problems.
I know when you said 'beard' you were probably referring to the hair growing on the dwarf's face, but... AGH... MY EYES...!

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 04:57:40 pm »

Wouldn't disallowing all clothing make cold climates much tougher for them?

These would be fun to do graphics for. I might give it a shot.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 05:05:52 pm »

Depends on the creature_token LAYERING and HOMEOTHERM.

Byrac

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOYAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:23:36 pm »

Layering and homeotherm would be a good start wouldn't it? I lowered their homeotherm temp and removed their layering, so I'm hoping this will help. I also changed the prefstrings and the name of their tail attack, nothing major.

While I was testing them earlier, I discovered that my hunters don't seem to want to hunt. At first I thought it was just because there was nothing to hunt, but there turned out to be a page and a half of groundhogs running around the map. Any thoughts on that? Some token I've added, one I haven't added, just a bug in my copy of DF?

@ranting rodent: that would be awesome. I'm currently using your graphics mod, with the snakeman graphic for the naga.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 10:26:05 pm »

Are you at peace with nature?  Just a guess.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Byrac

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOYAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:34:26 pm »

Hmm, well it was either [MAGICAL] or the extra [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCT] that was causing the hunting problem. Maybe [MAGICAL] implies [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE]?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 01:56:22 am »

It does.

Also, naga often have 4 arms, it could make them tougher.

P.S. Why do you use [MAGICAL]? It's a leftover tag and it causes various bugs and weirdnesses.

P.P.S. Also, an idea: why a blowgun instead of a crossbow? Those are unusable underwater. Better make a "harpoon" weapon, doesn't it fit better?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:58:30 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Byrac

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOYAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 09:41:41 am »

4 arms added.

I added [MAGICAL] because the wiki said it made them attract animals, which I was hoping would make hunting easier, ironically.

I used a blowgun because it made sense before I decided to make them aquatic. Hmmm....speargun anyone?...ooo, now I get to add two weapons, 3 if you count the ammo as a weapon.

EDIT: I created a new body type: HUMANOID_4ARMS_LEGLESS, and added it and DORSAL_FIN to the body. I also changed the attack to just one entry the goes off of GRASP. Does that make them only do one attack with their hands or does it give all the hands that attacks?

Modified the blowgun into a speargun, blowdarts into spears, and created a new weapon, harpoon, that replaces spears.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:55:39 am by Byrac »

Byrac

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOYAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 06:41:22 pm »

OK, not an update. I'm needing a little assistance from some of the more experienced modders. I'm working on renaming the military professions, so they fit their new uses better, but I'm having trouble getting the Lords to change(hammer, mace, axe). So currently it goes lasher-> hammer lord....which makes no sense. Is there a different method to changing those? I've tried MASTER_HAMMERMAN_NAME and HAMMER_LORD_NAME.

Also I'm horrible at creating names for things and was wondering if anyone had a better name for a claw user besides 'clawer'.

Oh, and would the adjective of naga be nagan?

I'll probably post an update once a get the class issues worked out and have worked on the symbols some(currently using the same as goblins).

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 08:46:04 pm »

Also I'm horrible at creating names for things and was wondering if anyone had a better name for a claw user besides 'clawer'.

Slasher?  Mangler?  Kreuger?
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 10:33:50 pm »

If you want them to only be able to survive in warm areas, try adding the [COLDDAM_POINT:9990] tag after the homeotherm tag. That should stop them from surviving anywhere that gets down to 22 degrees Fahrenheit, and should stop them from really thriving anywhere colder than temperate zones really.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 04:15:26 am »

Hammer lords and such are hardcoded, at least I think so.

Ripper/slayer.

About GRASP attacks: they will attack with a random arm which has a weapon.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

chinkeeyong

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 02:53:22 am »

No, [GRASP] attacks with any body part with a [GRASP] token. This usually means hands.

You can't change the names of masters, but there already is a LASHER skill, so your work's already done for you.

The adjective is naga.
Embrace imagination
Steam Machine: DF steampunk mod
Pages: [1] 2