Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 56

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia - Round 10 - Game Over  (Read 69543 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia - Round 10 - Blood on the Snows
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 02:36:19 am »

It seriously depends on how the scum interpret the possible existence of a Watcher. If they view him as a hostile entity that isn't to be dealt with, then they'll avoid sending PM's during the day for the most part. I'm assuming ideal consensus in the group though, so that play might fall apart due to bad communication.

A Watcher working with the scum team will most likely guarantee victory, as he can avoid getting NK'd and lynched, which is bad even if he has a shield/DMB. Blackmailing is a tough thing to do though, as earning their ire may just lose him the game, as he can't protect himself indefinitely. The scum's plan will almost always revolve around backstabbing the Watcher, so they can procure a speedy victory and avoid complications.

Getting into contact with scum powerroles would be easy, while getting into contact with town powerroles would be very hard. This is a dilemma for the Watcher, and not one ot be taken lightly.

A DMB, while a spiteful choice for a survivor or exterminator, is actually very suitable for a Watcher. If all else fails, he can just threaten everyone with the deadman to survive and extra day or two, but this provides a disturbing possible scapegoat for the exterminator/Exty Agent.

So overall, I think the Watcher is Anti-town, as he needs to do acrobatics to keep people alive, which his very existence makes more difficult.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 03:08:51 am »

It also depends on the scenario. He's like the anti-survivor. The Survivor is pro-whoever's winning, but the Watcher is pro-whoever's losing.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

muchenik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 05:39:30 am »

Well the best way to deal with the alien watcher is to send really really long PMs and chats in your special chat channels so that he has to get through the wall of text. After the first page of Pandar explaining that forsaken needs to die because he has too many 1111s in his name, I think he would miss anything else.
Close This Door
txeN ehT nepO

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 09:17:00 am »

Speaking as someone who was the exterminator last round, I feel obliged to point out that the watcher is pro-watcher. He is neither a town nor scum tool. He is third party with an incompatible win condition to the rest of us. No matter what, we need him defeated.
And muchenik the watcher only knows who sent messages, not who they sent them too or what they sent.
And on that note
Are you saying you sympathise for those with special chat channels? Are you suggesting that we, the town, send each other long rambling messages so that the watcher won't notice YOU, the SCUM, sending each other EVIL PLOT MESSAGES?
More seriously: I mean it. Why does it matter to us, the town? We have no messages to send each other today.
Long Live United Forenia!

muchenik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 09:58:47 am »

Reading comprehension win for me... actually I misread the description of the watcher I thought they got the message and not the who sent it. So really the watcher only works against the special chats so scum only need to worry about him.

So he could see if one person was sending more PMs and special chats but that is it, pointing out the "leader" of the townies, dopps or cult.

But really we need to band together to remove the watcher. So I guess the watcher would be pushing for early votes and heavily against day extensions.

Heck I wish I was scum, they get all the good roles.
Close This Door
txeN ehT nepO

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 10:53:05 am »

When someone calls you scum you are meant to deny it, by the way.
Long Live United Forenia!

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 10:57:22 am »

JanusTwoFace, I wonder if you're actually... A CULTIST!

Though seriously, I take it we only have cultists this game, and not doppelgangers?

(I recently learned that doppelganger isn't spelt as doppleganger...)

I am most definitely not a cultist.  I am in fact about as far from a cultist as can be.

Reading comprehension win for me... actually I misread the description of the watcher I thought they got the message and not the who sent it. So really the watcher only works against the special chats so scum only need to worry about him.

I think you are still misreading it.  The Watcher is told by the GM at the end of the day the names of everyone that either sent a PM or posted a message in the quicktopic.  That's it.  Not the actual messages, not the number of PMs, not who sent what to where, etc.

Oh, and vote Leafsnail for snails have slimy tentaclely bits sort of like Elder Gods.  Obviously, you are a cultist.  Why should I not vote for you?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 10:59:28 am »

heheheh

I presume we are still in the RV phase? So Leafsnail what color are a cultists trousers?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 11:04:12 am »

unvote

Aw man, did Mechenik not do what you immediately thought was obvious to do? Everyone implies they are town, and absence of argument does not mean agreement. I'm sure this has not escaped you Nuke.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 11:22:26 am »

The Whiteboard
Diakron: Muchenik
Frelock: Mr.Person
Humaan: Jim Groovester
Jim Groovester: RedWarrior0
Kashyyk: Frelock
Leafsnail: JanusTwoface, Kashyyk
Mr.Person: Humaan
Muchenik: forsaken1111
NUKE9.13: Diakron, chaoticjosh
RedWarrior0: eduren
eduren: webadict
webadict: ToonyMan
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2009, 11:25:23 am »

Oh, and vote Leafsnail for snails have slimy tentaclely bits sort of like Elder Gods.
No, I am afraid to say I have no tentacle attached to my singular foot.  I wish I did, it would make me far more mobile.

So Leafsnail what color are a cultists trousers?
Hmm, looks like a scum initiation question!  Only scum would ask that!

On a more serious note, the Watcher is going to be... pro-Watcher.  He's not trying to kill anyone, he's just trying to prolong the game.  The starting thing says "(#Players/2) days".  There are 17 of us, so I guess that means he has to last either 8 or 9 days.  Mod, would you mind telling us whether it's rounded up or down?  Also, there's another part of the role that confuses me a bit:
Once the preparations are complete the Watchers will be able to control the outcome of the situation in a way that suits their goals best.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.  Does it mean the Watcher automatically gets a straight choice of who wins once 8/9 days are up?  Or does it mean that he just stays in the game as a free agent with no win condition?

However, while the Watcher is a potential threat, it would probably be better to worry about cultists at the moment, since they represent a far more immediate threat to the town (they get to take someone out each night, and will be anti town whether we're ahead or behind).

Other than that, I'd have to give Nuke a slight FoS for being so serious about a throwaway comment about the watcher.  Also, I'm a bit confused by why everyone is discussing the Watcher and not the cult - sure, the Watcher could be a problem for us later on, but he might not even be in the game, and even if he is, he's not explicitly anti town like the cultists are.

It would seem that everyone has now posted.  I'm going to semi random vote forsaken1111 and ask him what he thinks of the current situation.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2009, 11:45:12 am »

Unvote

Yes, Meph could you clarify that for us?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2009, 12:03:54 pm »

Ok, Day 1 has started! It will go until ~5pm Pacific Monday

Note: The Alien Watcher role is a possibility for this game! If there is one, he will get a list of all players who PM'd or posted in a Quicktopic that day (although not what was said or to whom). Also, remember that the Watcher wants the game to last until day 8, at which point he would win and everyone else will lose.

There are Four Cultists this game. Have fun!

As stated in the notes under the Opening Scene.

Although I should clarify that even if day 8 is met and the Watcher wins, certain Alien roles (like Hunters and Agent Seekers) can have won without being effected by the Watcher's win condition. Town and Cult, however, both lose if day 8 is reached and a Watcher is in the game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2009, 12:10:24 pm »

Aw man, the Watcher's chances of winning just plummeted to zero... nobody's going to work with him, except maybe other aliens.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2009, 12:14:36 pm »

Man... that sounds tough.  On the plus side, that means that we perhaps don't need to worry about him so much, as he has no chance of being able to work with scum (dribbling info to them), and even if he can work out who is scum after a few days, he won't be able to do much about it without outing himself.  Basically, the easiest way to defeat him would just be to lynch all four scum in the next 7 days.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 56