Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lava Furnace setup  (Read 2632 times)

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
Lava Furnace setup
« on: August 20, 2006, 08:13:00 pm »

OK, I make a nice little lava channel for the lava furnace's right-hand tile to fit into, and it's -still- not good enough. Apparently the only place I can build the furnace is inside the lava flow. What does it want from me?

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lava Furnace setup
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »

What do these new lava things do anyways?  I just got to the lava and now I have some new build options.  Is it like free fuel or something??  Even with free fuel, the advantage is destroyed due to its extreme distance.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 08:19:00 pm »

I think the idea is to either make the lava area your new home or create a second independent settlement.  Either way, it's your problem to solve if you want free fuel.  I'm pretty sure it'd be an infinite source; you wouldn't need the wood for charcoal anymore.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 08:21:00 pm »

So I channelled the lava across half the map and over the chasm for nothing?

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 08:22:00 pm »

You still need the coal bars for steel, but other than that you're home free fuel-wise, but sadly channels don't work, problaby for the same reason you can't make mills with channels, or drink from water channels.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 08:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zaratustra:
<STRONG>So I channelled the lava across half the map and over the chasm for nothing?</STRONG>

You could also do that, I suppose.  I don't really know how to use it yet either.

[ August 20, 2006: Message edited by: UncleSporky ]

Dehydration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 09:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zaratustra:
<STRONG>So I channelled the lava across half the map and over the chasm for nothing?</STRONG>

Someone posted in another thread that the Lava Forge does not work with channeled lava as of yet. It's probably intended to be that way, since Toady is big on balancing risk with reward. Never having to use wood is worth the inconvenience in my book. It just takes quite a bit of work to get the forward settlement at a point where everyone's not running back and forth constantly.

shouldn''t trust the phones. They''re full of gas.

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 09:46:00 pm »

Well, not for nothing. You've got molten lava to use as a defensive mechanism, and you can set up a floodchamber for a renewable source of obsidian.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 05:16:00 pm »

If somebody goes through the trouble to channel the lava, they should probably be able to use the lava forge wherever -- there are some technical issues with this (like handling happens when the flow shuts off) but it's all surmountable.  The risk could be allowing fire beasties to travel up the channel and stage invasions in the center of your fortress rather than from a more easily defendable lava river.

also:  I don't think the artificial lava flows leave obsidian for some reason.  Yet another snafu from mister toad.

[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!