Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Funny non-random names  (Read 1572 times)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Funny non-random names
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:49:00 am »

Father, a fortress founded by the group Ragingish Rash.

No, that's not the English translation, that's the dwarven! Other words I've come up with are Rager, Gorer, and Toker. Now that we can make our own names, we can find all kinds of amusing combinations of Dwarven words - you just have to look for them. See what you can come up with! What are you going to name your fortress or adventurer? I bet there's all kinds of possibilities in Elvish and Human, too.

(Technically rash is spelled with an å, but treat accented letters as regular if it makes it funnier.)

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Funny non-random names
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 02:34:00 am »

There's already a thread for this, in case you were wondering.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 08:30:00 pm »

Well, this is a little different. Those are funny English translations, I'm trying to make the Dwarven look like English. Anyway, I guess nobody's as much of a linguistics nerd, or maybe just nobody finds it interesting. Oh well.

Outpost Father, strike the earth!

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 01:39:00 pm »

That's pretty funny.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

In the thread I mentioned earlier, I just remembered that I posted something like this. If you have repetitions of the word "Pepper" in your fortress name ("Rumred") then it will look like "Redrum." Ever read The Shining?  :D I've read the book but not seen the movie, though I've heard numerous references to it and seen the "Movie in 30 seconds with bunnies" version.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.