Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 81

Author Topic: Cloud Scream > Development on Pause  (Read 82417 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: WorldJem: Exploring, Jumping, and Falling (also, soon to be renamed again)
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 04:32:46 pm »

Also called sideways.
Basicaly,  if you are on the nothth pole, you fall left, on the south pole, you fall right, on the left side, you fall down, and on the right side you fall up, etc.
So if there are no obstacles, you'll fall round and round like an orbit. If you are standing on ground, you will stand on the "side" of objects, the ground will be like wall on the side rather than a floor beneath you.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 05:10:51 pm »

Ooh. Sounds interesting.
I sort of like having a round platform better.

You should try it out and get a feel for the weird geometry of my world.
Also, I think the universe should wrap from south to north, so water can pour off and come back from the top again.

I've posted this link on the front page as well. Go over there to get more information.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=eb8df6fc7b18ae57b94117dade8fc295e04e75f6e8ebb871
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 06:08:17 pm by Outcast Orange »
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 06:23:42 pm »

How are you supposed to use it?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 06:33:12 pm »

How far in are you?
Have you unzipped it?
Is it running?
The file in the debug folder should run.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 10:57:03 pm »

I got an error trying to run the exe ("This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."), but I was able to compile it under Code::Blocks with no problems.  It's looking really cool so far, just a couple quick suggestions though.  Purely visual, but I personally think something like this "[------     ]" would look better than a row of 0s.  The only other thing I can think of at the moment, would be a command to re-position Orange when you get stuck.

Other than that I have no complaints!  The gravity is a lot of fun as is, and if you let the player jump a bit higher you could have a lot of fun with it, although that would likely be a little tough...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 08:26:17 am »

Cool! Can you upload the file that you got to run on your computer? I would really like a more compatible version.
A bunch of my friends are having the same problem.

It wouldn't be hard at all to fulfill your requests, but orange is really just a way to explore the world and see how it's going right now.
But it would be good to add a couple more features to orange that would help with testing.

I'm going to add water in, see if it runs fast enough, and if it does, then I will give orange the ability to destroy tiles and we can play around and debug the water physics.

EDIT:
Also, why do you think dashes would look better than zeros?
Zero's are more filled in, if there were dashes they would only take up the very middle of the tiles.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:11:51 am by Outcast Orange »

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 08:37:28 am »

Sure, no problem!  Here you go.  (That link is hosted on a random quick-file-upload site I found after spending less than a minute in Google, so I can't say how long it'll be there.  Probably not long enough to be used as a safe back-up or permanent host though.)

I can understand that.  The bar thing I think I may have already done for you... if I can find it, I have a function somewhere that you can pass a number and a maximum number and it'll generate a string containing exactly 10 characters that looks like a health bar... I used it in my Dwarf Caretaker game (in my sig), so it shouldn't take me too long to dig up and explain a little better though.  And maybe re-write it to be a bit more portable too.

The water thing sounds great though, looking forward to that!

[EDIT]:  Found it, and rewrote it to be a little more portable.
Code: [Select]
string GetBar(int current, int max, int barsize, char symbol)
{
    float bars = (barsize*current)/max;

bars = int(bars);  //Round off the result...

if (bars>barsize) {bars=barsize;}  //If it somehow got a number bigger than barsize, fix it.  This should never happen though.

string bar = "";  //A blank string to write to...

for(int i=0; i<bars; i++)  //Repeat for the number of bars...
    {
        bar+=symbol;  //add a bar.
    }

for(int i=0; i<barsize-bars; i++)  //Repeat for the remaining space...
    {
        bar+=" ";  //and add the extra white-space
    }

return bar;  //Return the 'bar' string.
}

You could probably re-write it to use a character array instead of a string without too much trouble.  Anyways, an example call...
GetBar(75, 100, 50, '-');Would return a string containing a 75/100 full bar of '-'s, with a maximum length of 50.  The first number is the current value and the second is the maximum value.  The third is the actual length of the bar (in characters) that will be returned, and the last one is the symbol that will be used in the bar.  It will automatically add spaces to make sure the length of the returned string is al least the length of the bar (50, in the above example), so that if you wanted to put something around the bar it would still look decent. 

I.E.
cout << "[" << GetBar(50,100,10,'-') << "]"Would output "[-----     ]"

Not sure if this will be of any use to you, and it's probably not particularly efficient, but there's no point in reinventing the wheel if you do want to do something like this.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:55:19 am by timmeh »
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 09:14:50 am »

But why dashes?
I can just change the tile to something else if you want.
Any character I can type basically.
If you'd like to see it in dashes, I can upload a version in dashes.

Edit:

Thanks for the link.
I've re-hosted it and put a link on my site.
Judging by your code, you know a fair amount more about C++ than I do.

EDIT:
Okay, right now, before my day fills in with no-fun stuffs, I'm going to find a way to draw this game in full tiles, like in DF.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:31:37 am by Outcast Orange »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 09:47:59 am »

Here we go! Check it out:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So much better!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: WorldJem: New Visuals!
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 11:20:28 am »

First off, that picture is epic.  It doesn't have to be dashes, I guess my main point was trying to put something on the ends, so you can see how long the bar is.  As it is, you can't really tell how close the bar is to being full, but now that I think about it, my code wouldn't help you anyways, cause it only changes when the whole screen refreshes, and I have no idea how to put a single character (Like the ] at the end of my example) somewhere specific on the screen...

Oh well, I'll try out the new one here in just a second....

[EDIT]:  The exe still doesn't want to work for me, so I'll upload my compile again as soon as I finish d-loading the source.  It may be that mine only works on my computer, but it's worth a shot.  How are you compiling it out of curriosity?  Visual Studio?

[EDIT2]:  Hmmm... I can't get it to compile.  I think I'm opening the files wrong, cause the errors mention strange symbols that don't show in my editor (Code::Blocks)...  do you know if the source files are saved as ANSI or ASCII?  I think the character codes are different, and a quick google on the errors I'm getting brought that up as a possible problem...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:48:47 am by timmeh »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 06:02:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. For a brief time, I had the block characters actually typed into the code (this didn't compile), but it did change the file format of those two sections of code into something else compatible with the blocks. I deleted most of them from the code, but I think I left one in by accident.

Let me take a look when I get home. (In a few hours)
You can't get it to run? That's horrible! It seems so much better with the tiles in there.

Thanks for the input.

I'm going to figure out how to refresh the screen like in your games.
That would really make things a lot more logical for people using this for the first time.

EDIT: What does Armok think?

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 07:38:24 pm »

It's a bit of a pain to convert a project halfway through like this (I know from experience....), but I'd almost suggest trying to get some form of Curses implemented.  I've been using PDCurses, and it's great, although a bit of a trick to get downloaded and set up, cause I have next to no understanding of how the libraries and stuff really work...

That being said, there was [url=http://cymonsgames.com/getting-started-2/#curses]a great tutorial for Code::Blocks
, so getting it set up wasn't too bad, and the documentation available for it is incredible.

It's got a couple simple functions that make things so simple.  printw() (basically the printf function), clear() and refresh().  getch() makes input a lot smoother, cause you don't have to wait for the user to press enter.  Basically, each loop you'd start by calling clear() to clear the window, then all the printw (or addch, which is similar, but only uses a single character) calls to output your information, then refresh() to update the screen.  For some reason, sometimes the screen refreshes on it's own, but I don't really know how or why, so it's best to just use the refresh function. 

Putting stuff in a particular place is pretty easy too.  The function move() sets the cursor (for output) at whatever coordinates you pass it.  To make things even easier, just about all of the output functions (it may be all of them, now that I think about it) have a version starting with mv that lets you combine it with a move function.  I.E. mvprintw() takes a position and the text to output, as does mvaddch().

A couple quick things of note though.  For one, the coordinates are passed as [row, column].  In other words, you pass the y position then the x position, which confuses the heck out of me, since I'm so used to the other way around.  The other thing is just that I may have given bad info trying to explain it, so take anything I typed above with a grain of salt...

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 10:17:44 pm »

I'm going to spend the next few hours looking into Code::Blocks and then Curses.
Thank you for a nudge in the right direction.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 10:34:19 pm »

I'm going to spend the next few hours looking into Code::Blocks and then Curses.
Thank you for a nudge in the right direction.
No problem!  Looking forward to watching this develop!

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 11:15:11 pm »

Is there any way I could see my code from before it refused to compile?
Apparently there is a character code somewhere (which I can not find) that wasn't there before.
It has the format: "\xXX" where the two large X's are number or letter.
I've gotten rid of a bunch of them, but apparently more persist.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 81