Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Possible Way to Have Multiplayer?  (Read 6006 times)

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Way to Have Multiplayer?
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2009, 04:31:54 am »

Well, working with video, one could just create an nice .xml with the same name and have the browser grab both; or you could snap something into the .zip (assuming we compress the save file), only problem with that being you'd have to download the whole thing to get it.

Or we could have a file structure like this:
[a file] {a folder}

{archive}:
[index.xml]{world1}{world2}{world3}...

{world1}:
[save 1.zip][save 1 metadata.xml]{save 1 descendants}

{save 1 descendants}:
[save 2a.zip][save 2a metadata.xml]{save 2a descendants}
[save 2b.zip][save 2b metadata.xml]{save 2b descendants}

To display the history of any save, show that metadata, followed by the metadata of the previous branch up, and so on.

Of course, I'm pretty sure there's a big flaw with that that I'm not seeing. Probably a system like this already exists, and SVN may be what I'm thinking of. I'm just not sure that svn will allow easy browsing and selection. What I'm familiar with is just an automatic updater without much of a UI at all.

Makes some sense. Personally I'd probably plump for using JSON (ASCII/UTF-8 encoded) as a metadata format - it's just a lot easier to serialise/de-serialise in many languages, XML is rather cumbersome, JSON metadata might look like:
Code: [Select]
{
    "author": "Urist MacWorldweaver",
    "date": "2009-10-11",
    "world_name": "The Wild Planes",
    "author_notes": "This fort went horribly wrong after a black bear attacked..."
}

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Possible Way to Have Multiplayer?
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2009, 06:56:17 am »

I think for start we could do with some advanced AI doing all the lock/fork/storage/whatnot decisions. Something like human would be preferable.

Simply, what about someone, preferably someone trusted, starts this service with him as human backend.

If someone wants to check out world / upload new world / return existing world, he will be able to do it by simply mailing him and waiting a while for reply. If we want to get fancy, some spreadsheed (i.e. like the one in google apps) can be kept for recording neccesary info.

Not only is it easy to set up in minutes and guaranteed work, you will actually get to know issues firsthand and actually knowinng what kind of forking/locking/whatnot fancy system will be neccesary if someone actually gets past planning/server obtaining and would like to write software do do this.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]