Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using HFS as a chasm?  (Read 8049 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Using HFS as a chasm?
« on: September 26, 2009, 02:57:11 pm »

Would it be possible to dump magma down the HFS and have it disappear like in a chasm? I know HFS are immune to magma, I just need a chasm for a planned magma-fall.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:01:27 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Using HFS as a chasm?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:02:37 pm »

Yeah, it's a bottomless pit.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 03:08:04 pm »

Yeah, it's a bottomless pit.

A 1-tile bottomless pit. Not of much use, IMO.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:09:26 pm »

Mine are usually around 5 tiles.

I use them as garbage pits.  I like the thought of dwarven refuse hitting the denizens on the head.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 06:46:03 pm »

On a related note, is it possible through exploits or other means to drain magma/lava off the map without a bottomless pit or chasm? Is it possible to use the end of a river for this purpose?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 06:56:12 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 07:24:40 pm »

I think that map edges work as walls for drainage purposes.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 07:29:15 pm »

It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 08:21:30 pm »

Reminds me of the Simpsons Halloween episode with the haunted house. A portal to another dimension is in the wall, they throw an orange through it, and a note is thrown back at them saying "Stop throwing your trash into our dimension.".

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 08:59:46 pm »

I actually thought of the very same episodes as I typed it :P

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 09:06:41 pm »

On a related note, is it possible through exploits or other means to drain magma/lava off the map without a bottomless pit or chasm? Is it possible to use the end of a river for this purpose?
No, only water drains from the map edges.
There was an exploit using natural ice floors crashing on the bottom of the world, thus replacing the bottom of the world with an ice floor. Then you could melt the ice and there you go, Bottomless Pit! But as far as I know it doesn't work anymore.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 09:24:15 pm »

There are two ways I know of. They are both modules for the utility tweak. The first one called Tile Edit is built in but you can only change one tile at a time. The other module is called For Each Tile where once downloaded you can designate an area for low traffic and get it to change the whole lot to chasm tiles in one go.

If you use For Each Tile then you'll want to create a new operation set and set the condition to:
Code: [Select]
is_designated_as_low_trafficand the operations set to:
Code: [Select]
designate_as_normal_traffic;
make_chasm
Then set a load of tiles at the bottom of the map to low traffic and run the Operation Set and those tiles will be chasm ones.

Unfortunately I don't know if this works for the new 40d#.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 09:26:07 pm »

I've done it with magma.  Worked fine.  It was through carved fortifications underground and not on the surface, though.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 09:32:47 pm »

Smooth and carve fortifications on a tile at the very edge of the map (the ones you can't normally dig out).

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 10:19:01 pm »

Smooth and carve fortifications on a tile at the very edge of the map (the ones you can't normally dig out).

Just note that doing this occasionally results in an endless quantity of water pouring into the map. Proceed with caution.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 11:33:41 pm »

I've done it with magma.  Worked fine.  It was through carved fortifications underground and not on the surface, though.

The last time I did that I was stuck in my fortress for 3 months because of magma flooding the entrance.

Pages: [1] 2