Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pyramimd building?  (Read 3167 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Pyramimd building?
« on: September 26, 2009, 04:22:03 pm »

I'm curious if anybody has attempted to build a large pyramid. I really want to build one underground and have it be like a pit thing with the pyramid in the center. Is there any advice for this? This idea has been bugging me all day.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Pyramimd building?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 04:27:10 pm »

Well you could build it on an underground bottomless pit, though they may be hard to find

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 04:32:23 pm »

I'm just noticing my glaring typo. Cant edit things on my phone. I mean, like, build the thing comepletely underground, then dig around it till its above ground, sorta like a pit.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 04:37:21 pm »

First thing. FIND A VERY DEEP MAP. start on top the largest mountain in your world. I had to restart because my old fort was not deep enough.

Pyramids must always be an uneven number. They work better that way.
And their end height is more than half their width.
best is to plan it before u build it. and if u want to open up above it. Do it before hand. a nasty collapse can make some big holes.
Art is a Blast

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 04:47:44 pm »

I've built an upside down cast-obsidian pyramid before that was 17 z-levels deep. It involved me mining out the individual levels, then pouring magma in, then pouring water on top of the magma, then carving out the paths inside and then smoothing/engraving them.

It was a hell of a lot of work, but it was fun to do.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 05:13:54 pm »

All righty, I will get to work immediately. I think this will be lotsa fun. Oh is 6x6 big enough? The game lags if its any bigger.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 09:06:27 pm »

I built a 21x21 pyramid out of solid gold.

That took awhile.

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 11:30:09 pm »

You could cast a giant solid cube of obsidian and then dig it out until it's a pyramid. Then make the top the entrance to your fortress and have enemies run a gauntlet to get in.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 09:45:47 am »

Try building a triangle-base or pentagon-base pyramid, imo they look better on dwarf fortress because I play with a non-square tile.  Just make sure that they look equilateral

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 12:23:03 pm »

On my first attempt to build a giant pyramid I didn't know about the Z-level limit.  My pyramid reached 14 levels high, then I couldn't build anymore.

I have just created a map with a flat sand desert, open magma pipe, and 39 Z-level tall mountain in one corner.  Giant glass pyramid fortress is underway.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 03:53:15 pm »

I have one I haven't worked on in months...  It's built around a magma pipe.
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1074/pyramidundergroundod7.png

It's not difficult, but I just kind of got bored of waiting for them to construct stuff.  (This was before mass building was added)  I also ran out of ideas on what to do with the magma pipe.  As it was, I was using it to make Obsidian which is what the outer shell was constructed of.  The map has an aquifer and if freezing so it was easy to get around, but I haven't decided how I was going to properly utilize that source when I finished digging out around the pyramid.  I was thinking of a moat below the edge of the hill leading to the exposed base:

Code: [Select]
___              /           \
   \  water     /   pyramid   \
    \ | _      /               \
     ~~~ \    /
          \  /
           \/

"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 04:07:34 pm »

Hollow pyramids are cool as well, especially if you have something extra-dwarfy inside

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 04:36:17 pm »

Hollow pyramids are cool as well, especially if you have something extra-dwarfy inside
Like an HFS at the center of it like a shrine.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 05:20:10 pm »

Like an HFS at the center of it like a shrine.
Step 1: build giant orthoclase pyramid
Step 2: build giant concave mirror behind pyramid
Step 3: aim the mirror at an elven caravan and watch as they burst into flames from the intense light given off by the orthoclase  ;)

Making a pyramid hollow makes it much easier to construct. I recently build a trio of medium sized chalk w/ kaolinite cap pyramids, all hollow. These can be built one layer at a time from the outside without any scafolding required, and without worrying about stupid dwarves walling themselves in.

RRRRRRR
RWWWR
RW   WR      <---- something like that
RWWWR
RRRRRRR

Then by building stairs up the middle, you have a nice area which can be used for living in, stockpiles, or my personal favorite, filled to the brim with coffins!

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 06:41:56 pm »

I'm going to attempt to make my pyramid where people can live inside it. Possibly after I chisel the outside out and make the form. Then it would really rock. Though its taking forever. So Im waiting for migrants.

Pages: [1] 2