Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: DF eBook Megaproject  (Read 12446 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: DF eBook Megaproject
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 11:48:52 pm »

Seriously, what would the advantage of this over the archive sites?
I can put a .pdf on my DS and read it whenever I feel like.  Not so much with an online page.

They're the industry standard, along with virtually everything Adobe.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:17 pm »

I think this would be a really cool idea if it was distilled down into a 'short story' collection.

Tales from the Dwarf Fortress
a journey into madness...

No reason it can't be published both as a website and PDF file, either. I'd be willing to help.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 04:09:18 am »

Copyright infringement. Sorry.

OK, to elaborate - you can't just take someone else's posts and put them somewhere else, unless the person agrees. The tough stuff wouldn't be making the PDF, but writing to all the people, asking them for permission.
---
EDIT: Imagine writing to all the authors of Boatmurdered, for example. If a single one disagrees or doesn't respond, the whole work is ruined.
---

Or you can just do it nonetheless and hope nobody complains.  :P

This is all just my assumption of how things work - in reality I don't know much about english/american/internet authorship laws. It may even be possible that all posts on these forums are property of Toady One.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:11:03 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Angellus

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 07:20:09 am »

I find this a brilliant idea, I also think you should put it on a .torrent.
This way, even if it has to be removed it will never be lost.

Brilliant idea, especially the hall of fame part, just get them in a nice format ;)
(pdfs are freaking great, especially for printing!)

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 09:33:48 am »

OK, to elaborate - you can't just take someone else's posts and put them somewhere else, unless the person agrees. The tough stuff wouldn't be making the PDF, but writing to all the people, asking them for permission.
---
EDIT: Imagine writing to all the authors of Boatmurdered, for example. If a single one disagrees or doesn't respond, the whole work is ruined.
---

Or you can just do it nonetheless and hope nobody complains.  :P

This is all just my assumption of how things work - in reality I don't know much about english/american/internet authorship laws. It may even be possible that all posts on these forums are property of Toady One.

As to your concerns with copyright law, a couple of things.

1. I doubt anyone would complain
2. It was all posted on a public forum
3. THIS IS THE INTERNET!!! pirates, torrents, and p2p networks, oh my!
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Cheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 12:26:52 pm »

Yet none of those points makes it legal.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 12:55:20 pm »

Great idea.
If we are to attract new players, a 'start-from-scratch' tutorial should be included in the book. If you can use some help, pm me, I'll gladly use some of my free time to convert wiki tutorials to pdf / write some new tutorials myself.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 02:17:45 pm »

[various questions about why I want it printed]
I don't always lunge around a laptop, and paper is occasionally easier on the eyes as well, and in general it is more likely I'll be able to squeeze in the time to read it if I don't have to turn on a computer to do so.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 02:20:31 pm »

Honestly I think its a waste of time debating copyright.
Just do it and see if anyone complains, and if they do, remove their portion. If you aren't selling it, and none of the material for profit in the first place, then I sincerely doubt anyone could possibly claim any damages.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 02:20:42 am »

There are only 2 reasons why people would stop you putting their stories into an ebook:
1: They don't want anyone to read what they wrote.
2: They intend to sell their stories.
Both of those are moot points, as they were put in a public domain in the first place.

EDIT: damn enter key triggered the post button instead of making a new line
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:23:37 am by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 04:06:02 am »

yeah! do it!

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 11:37:16 pm »

Its getting done. Most of Boatmurdered has been copypasta by now (about 75%), and expect a couple of more days to finsh. Progress will be updated on the first post.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 12:17:24 am »

Because it's not illegal to start with. Taking posts from a public forum and using them in another format is in no way illegal. The ONLY possible legal ramifications would come up if he intended to sell this pdf, which he doesn't. Stop with the copyright crap, please.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 01:17:34 am »

Because it's not illegal to start with. Taking posts from a public forum and using them in another format is in no way illegal. The ONLY possible legal ramifications would come up if he intended to sell this pdf, which he doesn't. Stop with the copyright crap, please.

It is illegal to start with. Have you no understanding of the concept of intellectual property? Just because the work was broadcast in a public space doesn't mean the work itself is in the public domain. If the work was created, it belongs to the creator.

And it doesn't matter if he plans to sell it or not, illegal is still illegal. Paying for something - or not- doesn't change the legal facts behind it all.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 02:28:37 am »

I think you could make a fairly easy argument for this kind of compilation falling under the principle of "fair use," especially if done not-for-profit and with appropriate attribution (e.g. source thread URLs).  It's legal to quote people, you know.  Most of the other posts in this thread did exactly that -- does anyone question that being fair use?  Even quoting multiple other posts in their entirety; done in good faith, it's completely legal and unobjectionable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8