Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Dwarf Fortress Challenge  (Read 6510 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf Fortress Challenge
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 09:36:22 pm »

I managed to get one fortress to be large enough for a sheriff before they all starved to death wihtout taking a look at the wiki.  I think that between that fort and the wiki trip, I figured out how to change z-levels, but I can't quite remember.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Eaten Cheese

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 09:55:59 pm »

Its nice to see the beginnings for some of you pro's  :P  But the main purpose for this challenge is to get new people into playing and hopefully having fun with Dwarf Fortress.  Or just to find someone who has never looked at a tutorial yet  :D

Oh, I get it. We go to other forums, make a thread called 'The Dwarf Fortress Challenge', with a vague description, and a link to the download. And instructions to post their reactions in the thread.

Might be a good idea, although I imagine that most of the gaming-related-forums have already heaed of DF, and have made up their mind one way or another.
Yea that was pretty much the plan :P  Then show a long list of people that have attempted the challenge to get them either more determined or more willing to add themselves to the list or whatever, getting more people playing i suppose :)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 10:10:28 pm »

"Its a game I have wanted to get into, strikes me as something like what The Sims could be if it took the gloves off, but unfortunately I just can't seem to wrap my head around its GUI enough to accomplish any of the disasters I want to befall my dwarves to actually happen. Those that understand the interface however do some pretty cool stuff and I like reading about it."

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 01:23:14 pm »

I didnt use the tutorial for my first 5 forts, cuz I didnt know there was one (moron).  My first fort i just stared at ascii smiling faces and pressed buttons that seemingly did nothing for 45 minutes.  Then my fisherman drowned and I gave up.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 01:40:40 pm »

I've managed to get a couple of friends to try DF, and one signed up today, so, Lord Gandhi, if you're reading this, join a succession or something that forces you to play.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 03:26:49 pm »

Some time ago I decided to start a game in the 2D version just to know what it was like...
...and what surprised me most is that it's actually quite "simple" (compared to DF nowadays) and easy to learn even from the official manual. I think it was quite possible to figure it out, but that's obviously just a guess.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 12:27:22 pm »

nezumi:
"I picked this up last week and I'm still trying to figure out how to dig them into the ground :( Youtube tutorials are nice, though."

Braddles!?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 02:23:14 am »

i used the tuts b4 starting,

mah bud #1 he got around to play it, started on a location with NO WATER, and brought NO ALCOHOL, and a large number of cats, dogs and cows. he also had all the wrong skills, and not all the dwarves had all 10 levels used. he lost.

Mah bud #2 he basically went, WTF GRAPHICX FAILS!>?>!>!>!>!> and left

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 06:10:25 am »

I started without tutorials, did bad -but i it was fun. i started in a desert with an aquifer, assuming that i'd need no river. i hit 'play now' and started my first fortress. i couldn't figure out how to dig downwards - saw the dig stair command but had no idea how to change z-levels. all-in-all i dug into a sand dune and put my farm outside. my dwarfs didn't survive the first winter. then spent the next few days just surfing the wiki and lurking the forum and had it downpat and megastructuring by my next fortress (with the exception of few being abandoned shortly after embark)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 [2]