Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: Conservative Crime Squad  (Read 48785 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conservative Crime Squad
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 07:01:02 pm »

Look. The LCS is L+. The CCS is C+. Maybe conservatives don't support murdering civilians and supporting torture...but we aren't deaing with the Purple Conservative Whims. We're dealing with Arch-Conservativism..

Basically: The LCS takes extreme Liberal stances, thats the comedy. The CCS takes extreme Conservative stances...but how do you make them funny without playing to the hands of the LCS (and its sympathizers)?

EDIT: Something I wonder...the LCS seems to want things done via fiat, that merely by passing laws, an L+ utopia is complete! What if the CCS...does the same thing? What if they want a law stating in bold, "TORTURE IS MORALLY ACCEPTABLE" but nobody actually tortures (due to the fact that the standard 'starve & feed' tactic is much more effective). Even if nobody takes up the right to torture, then the CCS declares victory and cheers. Same thing with abortion. "ABORTION IS WRONG GUYS!" The CCS doesn't want this law to be enforced, oh gawd no, it just want the law on the books, so people know that abortion is wrong, and might somehow be magically persuaded to not engage in abortion.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:08:22 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 07:22:19 pm »

liberalism is idealistic, conservatism is not. Thats why I think the game wouldent work.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 07:24:12 pm »

Look. The LCS is L+. The CCS is C+. Maybe conservatives don't support murdering civilians and supporting torture...but we aren't deaing with the Purple Conservative Whims. We're dealing with Arch-Conservativism..

Basically: The LCS takes extreme Liberal stances, thats the comedy. The CCS takes extreme Conservative stances...but how do you make them funny without playing to the hands of the LCS (and its sympathizers)?

EDIT: Something I wonder...the LCS seems to want things done via fiat, that merely by passing laws, an L+ utopia is complete! What if the CCS...does the same thing? What if they want a law stating in bold, "TORTURE IS MORALLY ACCEPTABLE" but nobody actually tortures (due to the fact that the standard 'starve & feed' tactic is much more effective). Even if nobody takes up the right to torture, then the CCS declares victory and cheers. Same thing with abortion. "ABORTION IS WRONG GUYS!" The CCS doesn't want this law to be enforced, oh gawd no, it just want the law on the books, so people know that abortion is wrong, and might somehow be magically persuaded to not engage in abortion.

I already find most extreme conservative stances funny. There is no need to change them at all from their current text in-game.

And your comments on abortion are misplaced. I might not be an arch-conservative but I am most definitely pro-life and vehemently oppose abortion. I would like to live in a society where it was illegal.

I like how it's OK for the game to simulate people crawling along the ground with no arms and having their bodies sawn in half by shotgun fire while screaming for mercy but the minute someone considers altering the game to be from the conservative point of view LAWDY SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!  ::)

LCS is not politically correct, nor is it always funny, it's entertainment which can have meaning derived from the interpretation of the player. And I think that the entertainment value would be advanced by allowing players to change it up and play the other side.

liberalism is idealistic, conservatism is not. Thats why I think the game wouldent work.

So basically we should remove the CSS which already exists there from the game then?

The conservatism of the LCS forum is both amusing and ironic...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:26:39 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 07:26:58 pm »

If I were going to do it, I'd make you a third world native, tired of having your no-washing machine/microwave culture 'protected', wanting to make a living in a factory but being unable to because the liberals were protecting you (from exploitation, despite you making more at the factory than you did farming dirt), the environment (by green-taxes that make it too expensive to by fuel to heat your house or pump water), the unions (through strict protectionist tariffs), animals (through poaching and conservation laws that prevent you from harvesting the natural resources in your own backyard), status quo (food aid?  That just puts farmers out of business and makes people rely on the warlords who distribute it.)

The 'good guy' organization could be the factory owners (tongue in cheek comments about how pure shit the conditions are should be enough irony there), Christian Missionaries (teaching kung fu along with the bible?) and... US military interventionists (maybe?  setting up a US friendly regime that'll boost trade and lower tariffs with a little tongue in cheek 'more than pays for the costs of corruption')

That should be conservative viewpoint enough without being too awful.
I'd play that. This will likely be a very different game (that is to say most of the code would be useless), but it would be really cool.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 07:56:24 pm »

I really don't think the average conservative believes in murdering civilians, have you got any examples  :-\?

Look to the fringe - the mainstream isn't that far gone yet, and hopefully will never get there.

If anything liberals are definitely more violent that conservatives, for example see PETA which I would say is a fairly mainstream liberal group.

:o

I'm not even sure where to begin on the notion that PETA is even vaguely mainstream. High-profile ≠ mainstream.

As to liberals being more violent, again, see the above link on rightwing eliminationism. Oh, and get back to me when you have liberals carrying semiautomatic rifles to opposition political rallies, or start seeing the equivalent of these popping up on the backs of Priuses:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To say nothing of the political orientation of the individuals and groups responsible for the majority of "domestic" terrorism in the US over the last decade or two.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 08:01:34 pm »

I'd play that. This will likely be a very different game (that is to say most of the code would be useless), but it would be really cool.

Wasn't there some abortive discussion of a vaguely related idea a year or so back? Iraqi Crime Squad or the like, as a generalized sectarian violence "simulator"?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 09:04:12 pm »

Amazing how we all forget so soon...

LCS satires both the Conservatives and the Liberals.  As the game is seen from the Elite Liberal Standpoint, the satire of the Conservatives is blantant, whereas the satire of the Liberals is more subtle.

Obviously, if the game were to be reversed, with the player acting as the CCS, the satire would also be reversed.  The Commie-Liberal laws would be scary, with the Pure Conservative laws being funny.

Example:
Abortion Issue in CCS:
Commie-Liberal: Killing of the Unborn is mandated for anyone who already has a child.
Liberal: Abortion is the most common form of birth control
Moderate: Abortion is legal in some cases.
Conservative: Abortion is only legal in the case of rape or deficient mental capability, and only if requested by the mother.
Pure Conservative: Abortion requires a two-thirds vote of Congress and Presidential Authorization

Now, some might question my Commie-Liberal and Liberal satire.  I respond: China and Russia. 

In China, it's illegal to have more than one child (although they don't mandate abortion, to the best of my knowledge, instead either taking away the second child for adoption or allowing the parents to pay a fine [bribe/fee] in order to keep the child)

In Russia, Abortion is the leading form of birth control.  Which is saying alot based on how rampant prostitution is in Russia.

And by the way...it wasn't long ago that this idea was discussed in a positive light.  The main problem wasn't the "idealogical" issues but rather the technical ones.  AKA: Everyone wanted to work on the existing game and not build a new, functionally similar one.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 09:21:54 pm »

Now that LCS 4.00 is done the next project could be CSS 4.00.

If Fox has the time... He probably has a lot on...

But one can dream...  :)
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 09:25:19 pm »

I think the CCS point of view could be entertaining and interesting as well.

That said, this is Bay12 games where horrible, irrational things happen all the time in the course of any game Toady has ever inspired.

The LCS represents ignorant idealism. The CCS could just portray a bitter cynicism and the dialogue and politics and gameplay of this version would reflect that.

I think it would work and it would entertaining just to see a bunch of 1974 Bugs full of Hippies and Yoga Instructers ambushing you after your raid on the Welfare office or Greenpeace Office, or whatever.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:29:57 pm by HAMMERMILL »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 09:26:45 pm »

So basically we should remove the CSS which already exists there from the game then?

The conservatism of the LCS forum is both amusing and ironic...
Its not that Im against the idea, I think about it alot myself.

Although I guess you have a point. I've just been thinking on the liberal side of things too much and have been having some trouble understanding how anyone would even want an arch-conservative society, but after some thought I can see how the CCS could be "the good guys."

So then I would imagine:
the CCS gunning down protesters to stifle free speech
the CCS gunning down abortion clinics to stifle abortion
the CCS gunning down gay bars to stifle homosexuality
the CCS gunning down homeless shelters to stifle taxation
the CCS gunning down prisons to enforce the death penalty
the CCS gunning down illigal immigrants
the CCS gunning down hippie gatherings fighting the war on drugs

And I know some arch-conservatives in real life. They would pretty much agree with all of these acts.

Anyway yeah Im all for this now, sounds pretty interesting.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 09:58:20 pm »

Hmmm,
The Prohibition of Abortion isn't a conservative idea. While many conservatives, and primarily conservatives, support it, it's just a christian/moral thing. Personally, I think that having abortion be a factor doesn't really make sense.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 10:01:50 pm »

Hmmm,
The Prohibition of Abortion isn't a conservative idea. While many conservatives, and primarily conservatives, support it, it's just a christian/moral thing. Personally, I think that having abortion be a factor doesn't really make sense.
If anything is a conservative issue abortion is a conservative issue...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 12:21:09 am »

Hmmm,

I know devout Christians and moral individuals who are fervently anti-abortion, and I know devout Christians and moral individuals who are fervently pro-choice. It's a bit more complicated than "anti-abortion = moral Xians and pro-choice = immoral atheists", and in the US tend to cleave fairly tightly (though not perfectly so) to political outlook.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 01:41:43 am »

Wouldn't work.  This entire game is satire, basically - a fantasy world which is how some activists describe it, a world where conservatives are like a huge, fascist group of conspirators and Liberals and free, open minded underground society.  For Conservative Crime Squad to work, the world would have to be created from their point of view.
Then we shall create them in the shades!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 04:05:00 am »

The Conservative Crime Squad game wouldn't have you playing the CCS that's depicted in LCS -- the positions would have to be altered because the game's entire world would revolve around the Radical Conservative viewpoint, not the Radical Liberal viewpoint that it does now. Some things might seem to stay the same -- the CCS would still fight to end abortion, in order to stop parents from murdering their children. Others would change -- the CCS would now be in favor of free speech. Mechanically, things would have to change as well. You may still be committing credit card fraud, but you're not engaging in prostitution or selling brownies -- and you're certainly not seducing people of the same sex. I think a CCS game would be a lot of fun, and it would scale pleasantly: the game WOULD get harder as you turn more issues C+. If done properly, playing the two games and experiencing the difference could be enlightening.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22