Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: Conservative Crime Squad  (Read 48992 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conservative Crime Squad
« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2010, 10:35:36 am »

Protecting employee rights SEEMS liberal to me... I could be mistaken.
Protecting rights is conservative, protecting entitlements is liberal.  Protecting personal property is conservative, protecting public lands is liberal.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 24, 2010, 11:50:13 am »

Wait. So, the ending for Conservative Crime Squad would be:

You have succesfully turned the USA into a Conservative Utopia!

... You are now under arrest for playing this game! This game is far too liberal! You think free speech is your god given right? The government safeguards us from uncensored and potentially dangerous literature such as this!

:(

Yeah, LCS is fantastic because it's very existence is liberal, lol. CCS... mmm.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2010, 01:29:24 pm »

... You are now under arrest for playing this game! This game is far too liberal! You think free speech is your god given right? The government safeguards us from uncensored and potentially dangerous literature such as this!
Free speech is a "god" given right.  A conservative would wholeheartedly agree with that.  Censorship is not a conservative thought.  You are trying to paint conservatism as if it were big government?  Big government and oversight is a very liberal act.  Conservatives embrace small government because it's more efficient and less intrusive, but unlike Far End Libertarians, they feel that some government is needed to protect their individual rights.  This is why a CCS game would be pointless.  They aren't going to send hit squads after you because you think differently than they do, but they'll fight to protect what is theirs.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:31:36 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #303 on: February 24, 2010, 01:46:47 pm »

This is why a CCS game would be pointless.  They aren't going to send hit squads after you because you think differently than they do, but they'll fight to protect what is theirs.

Neither are anything resembling proper Liberals. LCS/CCS should not be interpreted as representing sane, logically consistent worldviews. They are distorted versions of real political views whose members have been caught up in the romance of the "just cause".

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 24, 2010, 02:56:25 pm »

This is why a CCS game would be pointless.  They aren't going to send hit squads after you because you think differently than they do, but they'll fight to protect what is theirs.

Neither are anything resembling proper Liberals. LCS/CCS should not be interpreted as representing sane, logically consistent worldviews. They are distorted versions of real political views whose members have been caught up in the romance of the "just cause".
Then the only real "just cause" would be to abolish all major governments in the world and quelling any and all mass organizations that seek to control.  (I don't understand how most self proclaimed conservatives support organized religion, except maybe blind hope... but that's another matter.)  You'd have to set a goal for them to achieve (like spreading our form of Democracy to every country...by force.  Oh wait... that happens today!)  The "hit squads" would seek to evaluate and judge all workers and compensate them strictly on a performance basis and would arrest anyone trying to help a failing person/business/etc.  (If we go by extreme measure that is.)  Charity should ethically be abolished under these rules as well.... but most of this seems to throw itself against the individual rights of another conservative to donate on their own free will/run their own company/etc, so you have a "tear" in the logic.  You'll have to set your limits carefully.

If you go by extreme conservatism standards, you'd end up with a bunch of woodland lumberjacks and farmers living of the land.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 24, 2010, 03:06:44 pm »

Then the only real "just cause" would be to abolish all major governments in the world and quelling any and all mass organizations that seek to control.  (I don't understand how most self proclaimed conservatives support organized religion, except maybe blind hope... but that's another matter.)  You'd have to set a goal for them to achieve (like spreading our form of Democracy to every country...by force.  Oh wait... that happens today!)  The "hit squads" would seek to evaluate and judge all workers and compensate them strictly on a performance basis and would arrest anyone trying to help a failing person/business/etc.  (If we go by extreme measure that is.)  Charity should ethically be abolished under these rules as well.... but most of this seems to throw itself against the individual rights of another conservative to donate on their own free will/run their own company/etc, so you have a "tear" in the logic.  You'll have to set your limits carefully.

If you go by extreme conservatism standards, you'd end up with a bunch of woodland lumberjacks and farmers living of the land.
Sounds... bitter.  >.>

I'd think the Conservatives would be more along the lines of: Do whatever the hell you want with your hard earned money, we don't care.
It doesn't seem to be Conservative to regulate how and where you spend your money...  thats Liberal.

But... its all a matter of how you present it in words. 
CCS would never fight for 'Regulations on who/what you invest your money on.'  From a Conservative view, that sounds very Liberal.

Well, I can't think of a CCS appropriate viewpoint for this here...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 24, 2010, 03:39:13 pm »

Andir is so pro-liberal, he can't bear conservatives being made fun of?

Personally, I just took everything in LCS and reversed it. hmm.

I think many of you are PHAILING the LCS spirit.

The LCS spirit... is... in many ways... to NOT TAKE EVERYTHING SO BLOODY SERIOUSLY.

Chill. Andir, you're all like "you don't understand Conservatism! You are misrepresenting it!"

um.
DUH.
:)
That's the idea, sherlock. :)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #307 on: February 24, 2010, 04:25:20 pm »

Let us reflect on the beauty of competition embodied by the Winter Olypmics and borne out in this thread. Cold... frigid... icy...  :(

But above all, in our games and our sports, the message is peace and love between all mankind. And that goes for this thread too.

I'm such a hippie.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 24, 2010, 04:51:42 pm »

I'd think the Conservatives would be more along the lines of: Do whatever the hell you want with your hard earned money, we don't care.
It doesn't seem to be Conservative to regulate how and where you spend your money...  thats Liberal.

But... its all a matter of how you present it in words. 
CCS would never fight for 'Regulations on who/what you invest your money on.'  From a Conservative view, that sounds very Liberal.

Well, I can't think of a CCS appropriate viewpoint for this here...
That's what I was trying to say before, but Jonathan wanted a "stretched to the breaking point" Conservative.  (at least that's what I read it as... someone so Conservative and upset by the way of the world that they snap and must enforce their way on others.)  It doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.

And to clear the air... I'm more of one of those crazy Libertarian types than Conservative or Liberal.  I fall somewhere way off the normal line, but maybe leaning Conservative.  I tend to agree with a lot of what the Conservative stance offers (ie: self discipline, self worth, and self accountability, personal property, savings, etc.), but there's a very large part of modern Conservatism (and Liberalism) that freaks me out.

I mainly have an issue trying to paint Conservatives as slave traders because I don't believe anyone wants that "trait" and pinning it on anyone is possibly the farthest thing from funny that I can think of.

Conservative Swine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 24, 2010, 05:27:54 pm »

Free speech is a "god" given right.  A conservative would wholeheartedly agree with that.
Yes. God given just like all the rest.

That could be the motivation of the CCS.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 24, 2010, 05:30:12 pm »

really? So you weren't amused when you went to sweatshop site and released the naked workers? Or CEO mansion and released servants?

LCS portrays liberals as gun toting murderers who support terrorism and would seduce a doggy. Do you find that offensive? And it portrays americans as people who would be awed into supporting the LCS. Insulting?

It's just satire. LCS makes little to no sense. As jon says, chill. I agree with the way the pawn & gun handles the system. When you want it, you "buy a liberal gun". When it doesn't suit your purposes, you sell the conservative weapon! heh.

You obviously know your stuff about politics. But the concept of the LCS game was something like a madman from an asylum gets some vague idea about liberalism and conservatism from a pamphlet and launches on a crusade. And the rest of the gameworld is equally crazy.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 24, 2010, 05:39:28 pm »

really? So you weren't amused when you went to sweatshop site and released the naked workers? Or CEO mansion and released servants?

...As jon says, chill.
I never played the game actually, and for the record:  I'm not getting worked up.  Just trying to keep things "sane" as far as positions are handled.  There are no veins popping anywhere on this side of the screen.

And it portrays americans as people who would be awed into supporting the LCS. Insulting?
I'd say it's rather true... Obama was elected, wasn't he?  Us Americans have been "awed" into a lot of stupid things like The New Deal, Social Security, et al.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:43:28 pm by Andir »

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 24, 2010, 06:07:12 pm »

I never played the game actually

OK. This explains a lot. No wonder.

Then I suggest you play LCS before giving suggestions on how CCS should be like?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 24, 2010, 07:12:20 pm »

I never played the game actually

OK. This explains a lot. No wonder.

Then I suggest you play LCS before giving suggestions on how CCS should be like?
Agreed x2. 
At least try it.
It'll give you a better idea of what/why we are suggesting as we are here...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Necaladun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 24, 2010, 09:46:20 pm »

Us Americans have been "awed" into a lot of stupid things like The New Deal, Social Security, et al.

And napalming children! :)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22