Which story would you prefer I write?

Sci-Fi
- 7 (63.6%)
Fantasy
- 1 (9.1%)
Runescape
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: I want to start writing again-What should I write?  (Read 1567 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
I want to start writing again-What should I write?
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:10:37 am »

So, back at a previous forum I went to, I wrote two stories, neither of which I finished. I would very much like to re-write and post them here, as people seemed to enjoy them. However, I am not sure which I should write. So I leave it up to you, Forum-goers. Do I write...

A post-apocalyptic Sci-Fi revolving around the splintered ruins of a mutated humanity fighting over a shriveled and dying planet, while a small group works to end the bloodshed and prevent a much greater disaster?

OR...

A Fantasy story about a Ju'Rin (Think Dunmer) going out on a quest to stop a betrayal by his own kin, who are attempting to bring back a great evil, by resurrecting a race so powerful the gods themselves sealed them away?

OR... (I'd rather not do this one if you prefer another, but I'm supposed to be impartial at the moment, so fuck what I care about)

A parody about a group of bored guys creating accounts on Runescape to pass the time, and ultimately destroying it through their own stupidity, naivete, and hatred of others? (I'm only throwing this out there, as it was the first story I ever wrote, back when I was a member on Runescape. The writing style would be rather different, and would mostly be an in-joke, as the comedy would revolve around destroying, subverting, and otherwise ruining everything from the old game.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:47:47 pm by CJ1145 »
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want to start writing again-What should I write?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:24:37 am »

I think the Sci-Fi one sounds interesting. That runescape one just sounds silly. And who wants to hear a story about an elf? A badass elf, but an elf none-the-less.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:59:17 am »

I have to agree about the elf one.  Dark Elf going against his own race is done to death.
Shoes...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:07:25 am »

Post-Apocalyptic elves?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:10:57 am »

Pre-apocalyptic elves!

One day, the elves come out of the forests and entreat mankind to treat the environment better.  We respond by discovering that their flesh is a delicacy, and begin killing and eating them.

The moral?  Anything goes if you're doing it to an elf.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:11:26 am »

Aren't all elves usually post-apocalyptic?  They're always bitching about lost greatness and lower races and such.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:12:40 am »

It seems people voted for the runescape one.

... Why on Earth did you fools do that?  :P

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:39:45 am »

If you've started to write on two stories, post a short example and I might be able to give a honest opinion rather than what I want to see written.

Somehow the Runescape one sounds more interesting than the sci-fi or fantasy story, might be because I've read enough of both of them, but a group of people who destroy an entire online gaming experience? Now that's something new.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 10:54:06 am »

It seems people voted for the runescape one.

... Why on Earth did you fools do that?  :P
I play runescape on and off.
Also, I'm level 110 : P

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 11:36:42 am »

Um, okay... I'd rather not spoil the plot of any of them, but I'll give you more in-depth looks at each story, as well as a scene that I wrote for the Runescape one a while back (which actually plays out enough like a script that I think it would be better as a webcomic.)

First off, the Sci-Fi story, Between the Light and Darkness (Cheesy title, I know.)

The story starts with this premise: The year is unknown, all that is remembered is that many years have past. Humanity is extinct, a tragic memory known only by a select few. After building a galactic empire worthy of the envy of God himself, Humanity tore itself apart, unable to keep the peace in such an expansive domain. In their conflicts, they rendered world after world impossible to inhabit, save one: Earth, the homeworld of humanity, though it was not the capital and its origin story had been long since forgotten. On this dying planet, the winners of the war had their foes trapped, and prepared to annihilate them; but they themselves were trapped, caught in a gravity well made in desperation by the few survivors. The ships crashed into the planet, devastating it, its nuclear cores spreading radiation across the planet. In moments, the last human fell, dead.

But in their place rose something else. Something Human only in appearance, but inside wholly different. Changed by the radiation, these mutants congregated with those like them, 3 species battling for control of the barren world:

The UMC, or United Mechanized Corporations (Bloodbolts to their foes) remember their past as Humans, and attempt to replicate it in their domain of Oceania, a landmass formed from the collision of Australia and the many islands of the Pacific. Highly industrialized, the UMC's people were the only ones that were not immune to the radiation disease. Instead, they found a cure. They are the most technologically advanced of the Three, and by far the largest in population, though a volunteer army keeps them from soundly destroying the opposition. Physically identical to a Human, these creatures rely on Powered Armor and massive machines to do the jobs they can not, both on and off of the battlefield.

The Order of the Bloodmage is a fanatic cult, a group of devoted followers who can control the very elements, wielding a form of magic so powerful, they consider it God-given. In the ruins of shattered earth, the barbaric people found Bibles, and began to read them, and twist it into their own warped religion that said that they were the supreme beings of Earth, and that all others must perish before they are permitted into heaven, where they shall live as gods for eternity. There are those in their order with no magic ability, but a faith so great that the Bloodmages have allowed them to serve as warriors; these crusaders fight so that they may die an honourable death in battle and gain a chance to enter heaven with their more gifted brothers. The leader of this fanatic order, their Grandmaster died centuries ago. His tomb remains hidden, but their prophecies state that he will be found and returned to life, and he will bring about a destruction so great that his actions will directly bring about the end of the war.

The Shifters, a species made of lawless, morally gray mercenaries who will do anything, no matter how violent, to obtain what they need. They are granted a power that is literally limitless, so long as there are stronger foes than they. A Shifter is trained from an early age to be the greatest of assassins, if he or she is to be a warrior. Physically worthless at first, a Shifter has the ability to kill a target, and take that target's physical stamina and abilities, and stack it on their own. They do this with each person they kill, until the point where a veteran Shifter is super-human in their abilities. They may also take the shape, temporarily, of any living thing they have killed; this quality makes them the perfect spy, and they will often be hired by the other species to do jobs that normal commandos cannot handle.

These creatures will not stop until the others are destroyed, and the story I intend to write, if you choose this, revolves around 13 men and women who see the errors of this war, and seek to end it in any way possible.

The Fantasy Story: N'Khufu

This story focuses on N'Khufu, a Ju'Rin. (Before I continue, there are three main races of the Elves: Ju'Rin, the Deep Elves; Na'Rin, the High Elves; and Or'Rin, the Sand Elves.)

N'Khufu is a chieftain, a warrior leader of his people. After a kobold invasion leaves his city weakened and his life in tatters, N'Khufu, along with Elven ambassadors from the great cities of every nation, assemble at the Na'Rin capital to discuss the current matters of the year and resolve to fix them. However, while there N'Khufu discovers a great betrayal, and a plan to bring back an army so great it once destroyed entire nations in days.

Armed with this knowledge, and the advice of his leaders, he must set out to find the only race to ever defeat this threat: The Dwarrow, who had become so great the gods who made them locked them away, from fear of their power.

Finally, I leave you with an early scene from The Fall of Varrok: A Runescape Story

Characters (in this scene)
Lenny: The supposed leader of the group, Lenny is a cynical, spiteful person who hates just about everyone he meets and seeks for ways to get rewards for doing as little work as possible.
Phillip: The loveable dope, Phillip is a Hercules-strong coward who only wants to make friends. He does this, again and again.
The Fighting Trainer: To those who've played Runescape, remember the crazy, lvl-146 fighting trainer in Tutorial Island? Did you ever feel like trying to attack him? No? Then you're a lot smarter than these two.

(It's going to read like a script because, again, I think this would make a better webcomic than a story.)

*Lenny and Phillip continue through Tutorial Island, coming across the Fighting Trainer.*

Lenny: Jesus, look at this guy.
Phillip: He looks scary.
Lenny: Christ, look at his level! That's insane!
Phillip: That is very red...
Lenny: Level... 146?? Can we even go that high? What level are we now?
Phillip: Uh... 3.
Lenny: 3?
Phillip: Si, tres.
Lenny: Why are we level 3? Shouldn't we be level 1 to start? Come to think of it, why the hell aren't we past level 3? We did all that stupid cooking crap, and those rats look meaner than something a level 3 should be fighting!
Phillip: ... Poke him.
Lenny: What?
Phillip: Remember when I poked the nice lady, and she started talking to us? Maybe if you poke him, he will do the same thing.
Lenny: Fuck that, you poke him!
Phillip: But I poked the last person!
Lenny: ... Fine. But don't say I'm not a nice person.
*Poke*
Fighting Instructor: WHY, HELLO THERE!
Lenny: Sweet Jesus, run!

So yeah, now that I've written it, I don't like the Runescape idea as much, unless someone'd be willing to draw it.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 01:12:42 pm »

Hmmm.

If you don't feel like writing the Runescape thing, then it's off the suggestions because if the writer doesn't like it, how could the readers?

Of the two stories, I would lean more towards the sci-fi one, although I think there's some issues about the plot. Like that radiation doesn't really mutate you, it kills you. But maybe it was ADVANCED radiation! Or maybe it's just one of those things that don't matter to the plot that much and shouldn't be thought about. Maybe simple background radiation that's just enough to mess up cell's in organisms and end up with the various mutations.

And I have a question about the Shifters, if they have that ability to stack their foe's power to their own, and these races exist to kill each other off in any way they can, what's keeping the Shifter's from selecting the best of them and letting him/her kill all, or most of the rest, until he/she has reached a god-like level where he/she could stab the whole world in the back in the blink of an eye. Twice.

I'm not saying that it's bad, but that it has some things that either need some attention, or then assurance that "it'll all be made clear in the story later on". That's what I always get shouted at whenever I write something.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:14:46 pm by Ieb »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 02:05:58 pm »

Hmmm.

If you don't feel like writing the Runescape thing, then it's off the suggestions because if the writer doesn't like it, how could the readers?

True, true. I'll write it, but only if a large majority want it.

Of the two stories, I would lean more towards the sci-fi one, although I think there's some issues about the plot. Like that radiation doesn't really mutate you, it kills you. But maybe it was ADVANCED radiation! Or maybe it's just one of those things that don't matter to the plot that much and shouldn't be thought about. Maybe simple background radiation that's just enough to mess up cell's in organisms and end up with the various mutations.

I have a few sci-fi style ideas in my head to explain this, my favorite being "Natural selection on steroids" causes the remnants of humanity to swiftly evolve, almost mutate, into the separate forms.

And I have a question about the Shifters, if they have that ability to stack their foe's power to their own, and these races exist to kill each other off in any way they can, what's keeping the Shifter's from selecting the best of them and letting him/her kill all, or most of the rest, until he/she has reached a god-like level where he/she could stab the whole world in the back in the blink of an eye. Twice.

Ah, I was hoping someone would ask that. You see, the Shifters are selfish bastards, and wouldn't give  up a quarter to save a starving baby. The chance of them doing something like is quite literally below zero. They are, for the most part, a collection of mercenaries. They live together, go by the same name, but do everything independently. They only come together when something really important comes up. Or somebody digs up a chest full of gold. I like to think of them as the Orks of the series in that sense.

I'm not saying that it's bad, but that it has some things that either need some attention, or then assurance that "it'll all be made clear in the story later on". That's what I always get shouted at whenever I write something.
By all means, criticize, I'm better off from it. I think I'll make my choice in a half hour on what to write, but I'm almost certain I already know what it will be.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:37:06 pm by CJ1145 »