Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Realistic Smelting  (Read 1664 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
More Realistic Smelting
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:54:40 pm »

There have been a few mods before that focused on more realistic smelting for specific metals, but I'm looking ahead to the next version.

Specifically, being able to have specific smelters dedicated to doing a specific type of smelting.

Looking through some of the links here, it seems like there are lots of different ways to smelt various metals using pre-industrial technology. Some metals can use the same smelter design, others can't. (Steel, of course, really needs a blast furnace or the like).

So, I'd like this thread to be a place for us modders to come up with the various smelter types we'd need and what restrictions we should put on them. What would be needed to extract Nickle, for example?

As I do more research I'll start putting down some ideas.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zwebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Realistic Smelting
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 08:18:20 pm »

I could be wrong, but I do not think this is possible, currently. Only solution I can think of is to make your own workshops in, the next version, and not use the defined smelter. But you'll have to wait for that. You could allways simply force yourself to only use one smelter for one type of metal, though.
SYMMETRY!
 YOU! GROUND! I don't dig you 'till I figure out the absolute perfect thing to add to you. NEVER 'TILL THEN!
 You leader, you will be named after a god. YOUR POSITION IS RA, SUN GOD.
 I need a pit! I'm not even going to drop anything down it, I just want a pit! And no weaksauce 5x5 pits either, half the goddam mountain is gonna be an underground pit when I'm done.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:34:24 pm »

I could be wrong, but I do not think this is possible, currently. Only solution I can think of is to make your own workshops in, the next version, and not use the defined smelter. But you'll have to wait for that. You could allways simply force yourself to only use one smelter for one type of metal, though.
Note that this thread is all about what we want to do in the NEXT version, not now.

As for me, I plan not to mod in very many extra types of smelteries.  I will probably stick with 1 smelter type (possibly 2 if doing so would make life easier on the player) and add workshops only to do extra things like working with blocks and construction materials (like cement) or infused/magical substances.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:19:38 am »

I plan on modding a smelter that smelts smelters...

Not really... I just wanted to be included  :'(.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:51:56 pm »

I think that lava power is going to be in, but for some metals, you might need more heat than magma gives. Might be neat if you need a ceramic crucible to build a magma forge. So, all metals that are magma-safe (naturally) can't be melted in a magma forge.

I think it would be fun to have to put in some more thought about what our smithies look like. Having five or six workshops working together with resources being moved from one to the other sounds like fun.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 03:59:53 pm »

Yeah. I'd also like to be able to include water as a resource for a lot of smelting. Looking over actual smelting techniques, many ores are washed, cooked, and then pulverized and put in a smelter. If you don't do all of that, you don't get as much metal out of the process.

Tin and Lead seem to be some of the easiest things to smelt, followed by copper.

At the very least, I think we should have a basic smelter for metals with lower melting points and a blast furnace for working Iron and Steel.

I'll also have to make some interesting workshops for the various special metals and alloys in my mod.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 04:10:29 pm »

I think that lava power is going to be in, but for some metals, you might need more heat than magma gives. Might be neat if you need a ceramic crucible to build a magma forge. So, all metals that are magma-safe (naturally) can't be melted in a magma forge.
If I'm not mistaken, smelting doesn't involve simply heating an ore until it melts.  Just how complex it gets, I don't quite know, but I know how simple it isn't.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 04:18:47 pm »

Depends on the ore. Lead, for example, can be melted in a campfire. Ores with higher melting points require more work.

If you follow the link I gave in the OP you can find lots of fascinating reading. I haven't gotten through nearly as much as I'd like, but the more I read the I appreciate the work that goes into smelting and metalworking.
Come play Mafia with us!

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:01:40 am »

I would love to see a mod do this, especially if combined with the minerals and metals overhaul mod that is in development.