Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: battles in legends mode  (Read 3433 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
battles in legends mode
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:32:18 pm »

was checking som legends mode battles

the war of lightning

umans vs elves
most of the battle reports look something like this:

elves 134 - 32 casualties
humans 9 - 1 casuallity

human defenders victorious

do elves suck that badly in battle

its a similar story with goblins vs dwarf battles, but id expect that.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: battles in legends mode
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:39:48 pm »

Humans have iron. Elves use wood weapons.

Iron>>Wood, thus Human>>Elves

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 12:55:35 pm »

Sometimes it goes the other way, especially if the elves use elite archers. Usually though, Dwarves>>Humans>>Goblins>>Elves>>Skeletal Hoary Marmots>>Kobolds. If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle. Occasionally you'd get a lucky shot off, but more likely you'd get blasted into pieces so small they'd sweep you up and put a wax dummy in your coffin. I think the only reason dwarves let the elves live is they're too lazy to farm their own cloth when they can buy the elves cloth with goods they stole from the last elf caravan.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 02:45:51 pm »

If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.
Sigged
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 04:33:36 pm »

No, dwarves don't keep the elves around for their cloth. Elven cloth is crappy mass-produced stuff with no quality levels. You have two main reasons to keep the elves around:
 * Cool pets, and
 * Sunshine
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:31:02 pm »

Also, dwarves have 1 damblock, humans have 0 damblock and elves have -1 damblock; elves are as tall as humans and have much crappier armor and weapons.
Dwarves are smaller than elves and humans, but they have steel, so they wipe the floor with elf faces. But elves have no [MAXAGE] and thus have much larger armies.
It all balances out just fine as can be seen by the fact that most worlds have all major races in them.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 12:59:43 pm »

No, dwarves don't keep the elves around for their cloth. Elven cloth is crappy mass-produced stuff with no quality levels. You have two main reasons to keep the elves around:
 * Cool pets, and
 * Sunshine

Good for training new clothiers and for making that first batch of bags to hold all your seeds and sand. After that, you either keep em alive for the booze and animals or drown em for the luls.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 02:11:46 pm »

Elves suck majorly even with massive numerical advantages. In my latest world, the elves have battles like this every year. Losses are typical. Have no idea how they come back for more.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The demon has 277 kills. Nearly every baby-snatched elf and goblin in that civ has four names.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:16:42 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:09:32 pm »

if a cit live to get a name then thay can kill 50+ elves in one battle
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:41:21 pm »

Even if you give elves custom weapons that all do double damage, to compensate for woodenness, they still somehow manage to suck.  A: 653 Elves, 223 lost.  D: 43 humans, 7 lost.  Defender was victorious.  Ooookay...
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 07:50:43 am »

been looking through the military maps in legends mode. in one of my worlds one goblin civs been crushed by a dwardf civ, and the humans have wiped out one elf civ.

The battles were much more even in this world. its interesting looking at the causes for war and post conquest result

I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.