Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing Problem  (Read 597 times)

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothing Problem
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:43:25 pm »

I got sick and tired of my dwarves leaving their worn out clothing every where despite them having the proper containers (which some dwarves never use!) to store them in.  So I created a custom race and civ that doesn't wear clothing.  I can't stand clutter and not being able to dump clothing that belongs to a dwarf aggravates me.

I've got everything working perfectly except for 1 thing.  Caps.  If I add the [HELM:ITEM_HELM_CAP:COMMON] or [HELM:ITEM_HELM_CAP:UNCOMMON] tag they all generate wearing cloth or leather caps, which I don't want.  If I change it to [HELM:ITEM_HELM_CAP:RARE] they don't generate wearing cloth/leather caps but then I can't make metal caps in the metalsmith's forge with that civ, which I want to be able to do for armor layering purposes.  This civ does not have the [CLOTHING] or [SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING] tags in the entity_default file.  I triple checked to make absolutely sure.  Yet they still insist on generating with cloth/leather caps.  I regened the world each time I made a change to the entity_default just to make sure the changes where going through.

Is there a tag I am forgetting or is there just no way around them generating with caps if I want to make metal caps?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:04:53 pm by Kravick »

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 05:50:42 pm »

Make a unique item for metal caps and take off the two original cap tags.

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 07:17:52 pm »

Make a unique item for metal caps and take off the two original cap tags.

Oh, good idea.  That never occurred to me.  Unfortunately I've never tried to mod items before.  I guess its off to the dwarf fortress wiki for me.

EDIT: Ok, I created a new item and attached the tag to my civ in the entity_default file.  I basically copied the original cap entry and modified it slightly to look like this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If anyone sees any mistakes please correct me.  First time I've tried editing items.

EDIT 2:  Ran into a slight problem.  [ITEM_HELM:ITEM_METAL_CAP] doesn't work and I had to change it to [ITEM_HELM:ITEM_HELM_METAL_CAP] in order for it to show up at the metalsmith's forge so I could make it.  I made the item and was successfully able to layer it under a metal helm.  So far so good.  Thanks for the advice Johnny.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:24:30 pm by Kravick »

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 05:33:49 pm »

Sure thing. You can do some cool stuff with layering. For example, I once modded in a bone jawguard that you could wear with a helmet, because together they'd take up all the space on the head.