Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: An Epic of Bloodshed, Despair, and Glory  (Read 154974 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: An Epic of Bloodshed, Despair, and Glory
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2009, 07:49:50 am »

Champion info:

Everyine below worshipped the terrible dragon Vush Brandedgilt in addition to their normal dwarven deities.

Alath Pagedplaited (b:? d:103)
Married Tekkud Handlecolors. Was a wanderer. Wounded by a cyclops and killed two giants, also fought two more cyclopes, an ettin, and a minotaur. Fought in the Conflict before wandering again, where he was killed by the hydra Emxa. Two daughters: Tosid Stockadefortunes and Rakust Claspshoves.

Meng Freshportal (b:? d:113)
Existed before the beginning of the world. Married Ducim Tradecalls during that time and worked as a fishery worker. Later, fought off a bronze colossus as well as the titan Washey. Became king in 71. Declared war in 81. Children: Mestthos Baldedchanneled, four other daughters and two sons.

Goden Leafybridges (b:1 d:157)
Son of Queen Adil Blockadecontrolled and Mistem Wiltcrypt. Married Tosid Stockadefortunes in 13. Became a scout. Fought in the Conflict. Children: Unib Lancemet, Olon Orblabors, Logem Shaketomes, Udil Boltwanes, Rovod Channelgild, 3 other sons and 2 other daughters.

Tosid Stockadefortunes (b:1 d:143)
Daughter of Alath Pagedplaited. Was a furnace operator. Married the above Goden. Fought a hydra in her youth, later had her ear maimed by Washey the Titan in one of her two fights with him. Became the mayor of Circletower after the first battle with the elves. Shot and killed by Idala Crowdpines.

Goden Routedgates (b:? d:96)
A guard. Did nothing interesting except kill elves.

Mestthos Baldedchanneled (b: 71 d:120)
Daughter of King Meng. Became a farmer (she was still a child when Meng first went to war with the elves). Married Tekkud Letterpulley. Became leader upon Meng's death. Died in battle due to Iru Duneplunged. One daughter: Tholtig.

Olon Orblabors (b: 79 d:242)
Son of Goden/Tosid. Married Kumil Oldhandle and worked as a fishery worker. Fought a cyclops but lost. After a fight with the titan Washey that saw the death of the crown princess, he retired from warfare and became a diplomat.

Unib Lancemet (b:70 d:93)
Daughter of Goden/Tosid, a ranger, shot 8 elves and was in turn shot and killed.

Mafol Drilledhammer the Violence of Forests (b: 110 d:140)
Third of Tholtig's sons. Worked as a farmer. Has his mouth burned by the dragon Vush, that everyone worshipped. Lost his right index finger to an elf. Was shot and killed.

Urist Joinedrings (b:114 d:152)
Youngest of Tholtig's daughters. Also a farmer. Fought the dragon Vush. Killed by the hydra Awim.

Erush Racktoned (b:105 d:195)
Eldest of Tholtig's daughters. A guard. Appears to have been a marksdwarf. The last of Tholtig's children to survive, and the one with the most kills. Killed by the titan Washey.

Obok Willbolt (b:57 d:227)
Only son of Alath's daughter Rakust and King Meng's eldest son Ingish Stirtreaty. A scout, probably an axedwarf. He, Logem, and Tholtig formed a kind of three-dwarf army in the later years of Circletower, because no elf could hope to match them. Perhaps there was more to simple camaraderie to their relationship?

Tholtig Cryptbrain (b:91 d 247)
Daughter of Queen Mestthos and Tekkud Letterpulley. As soon as she came of age she started butchering elves, and didn't stop until she died of old age. She became the last ruler of Circletower in 121, when the Age of Myth ended and the Age of Legend began. Children: Erush Racktoned, Mafol Drilledhammer, Urist Joinedrings, four other daughters and three other sons.

Logem Shaketomes (b: 85 d:237)
Son of Goden/Tosid. Like his wife , he seems to have been a warrior from the moment he was born. Like Tholtig, the dozens of battles and decades of warfare that made up the only existence he ever knew were reduced in Legends Mode to "Struck down the elf" X 2000. It is up to the reader to interpret his life.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2009, 07:55:13 am »

Oh wow. That's all of them?

Also, when exactly did the war start?

Also: Alath is an adventurer, then... hum. He could be prototypical.

Also, what happened with Vush? Was he still alive when worldgen stopped?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2009, 08:09:06 am »

Tholtig (and her relatives, and the whole conflict, and megabeasts, and...) deserve more fanfic.

And a book.

"This is an Adamantine Book. All of it's craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with Adamantine. It is adorned with hanging rings of Adamantine. It is encircled with the bands of Adamantine, menaces with spikes of Adamantine and contains the glorious yet tragic history of the greatest dwarf in history, Tholting Cryptbrain the Waning Diamonds."
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2009, 09:07:06 am »

Vush, full name Vush Brandedgilt the Sweltering Diamond, is still living. She possesses 71 kills.

Washey Monkinsight the Oaken Pages is also still alive, as is the female hydra Emxa Snarlbloat the Youth of Braving that slew Alath. Alath died in the hydra's cave (Clearingscars the Sacrifice of Igniting), so it looks like he went out to challenge it by himself, after it attacked his daughter Tosid many years ago.

The first conflict between the dwarves and elves took place in 81; it was a battle called the Clash of Fangs, in which King Meng attacked a group of elves in the forest. There was a peace after this battle for several years. In 93, the elves suddenly decided to avenge themselves and began their implacable war with a 187 elf siege, fought off by 18 dwarves, with 10 dead dwarves and 63 dead elves as the result.

Other champions, previously lost:

Udil Boltwanes the Lacy Tenderness (b 86 d 105)
Daughter of Goden/Tosid. A fishery worker before the wars. Her head was smashed by the titan Washey but she survived. Two years later, she went to war against the elves, killing 46 of them, including the elven champion Imaza Waspspeak the Direction of Papers, a legendary sniper who had herself slain two human champions, and whose mouth was mangled due to an old wound inflicted by a third human champion. In 103 she left the fortress to wander for a short while, defeating a cyclops but failing to kill him. The next year, an elven attack forced her to return to Circletower,  where she was shot and killed by Atera Echohoof the Girders of Depth. Logem later personally avenged his sister's death two years later.

Incidentally, Udil's first kill was an elf named Lionsplatter.

Rovod Channelgild the Rough Orb of Cloistering (b 87 d 138)
Son of Goden/Tosid, originally a ranger, later became a guard. Like his sister Udil many of his 88 kills appear to have been via crossbow. Near the end of his life, he joined Tholtig in a series of attacks on a forest retreat that initially went in the dwarves' favor; however, Rovod fell in the last battle of that conflict, and his loss forced Tholtig to retreat.

Caiburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2010, 07:03:02 pm »

So now we need a dwarven genealogy application that reads the legends?

Ow.
Quote from: Abyss
Dwarf Fortress is the Crysis of the ASCII world.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2010, 11:47:49 pm »

They all died of old age? This is an adamantine walker. The craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is adorned with spikes of elf bone, elf leather, and raw aluminum.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

powell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2010, 02:54:13 am »

Hey, can you post the region folder? I mean, we should be able to go into legends in that couldnt we?

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, can you post the region folder? I mean, we should be able to go into legends in that couldnt we?
Yea, if you could post that or a save an epic story could be written.
-The Dwarf Creed-
This is my workshop. There are many like it but this one is mine. It is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without my workshop I am useless. I must use my workshop well. I must work harder than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. He must have fun before I do. I will make it so. Before Armok I swear this creed: my workshop and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it. Amen.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1716

The file is modded, incidentally. Doesn't affect Tholtig in the least though (except making the megabeasts ridiculously difficult to kill).

There is also another race that was modded in.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile

This has inspired me to work on making a Microsoft Access template to help sort out all this data; I wish Toady would finish the XML dumper so it can actually work!

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Good luck on the above! I would help, but I lack access to Access and haven't used it in years, sadly.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile

Yeah, my mom works in database management, (she was on the cutting edge... 20 years ago :-\) so I have some help doing this.  The only problem is that the XML dump seems to be missing a bunch of info; hence the reason why I'd like Toady to finish it.  My hope is that once that's done I can create a program for viewing legends that becomes the 'essential' tool in the field in the way Dwarf Therapist has become for some.

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

Tholtig's name and title is very fitting.

Crypt: Circletower, as there everyone from her clan lay dead.

Brain: She was a leader.

Waning: The dwarves were 'waning'.

Diamonds: They were impervious to the enemy (elves), except the dreaded Time.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile

Whatever happened to "diamonds are forever"?

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: An Epic of Bloodshed, Despair, and Glory: The Movie

Now this would be epic. A little sad ending perhaps, but that's how epics usually are. Or something. It would easily topple lotr. xD

300  15 The Movie
Meowth! That's right!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13