Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Languages for New Races  (Read 920 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
New Languages for New Races
« on: October 01, 2009, 03:01:51 pm »

To all people who create new races:

I'd like to see a separate language for the frost giants someday, but to create a new language from scratch is...difficult.

But I have a new technique for language generation!

First, take a language that already exists that you like the word patterns of.

Then, copy it into word, control find random letters and letter combinations that commonly appear and replace them wholesale. For example, replace all "lb"s with "fr"s.

You will thus produce a language that is cosmetically different. By also changing the symbols that a race will use in determining names, you can further distance the appearance of your new language from old languages.

For example, my current modded civ uses a language file based on the dwarves, but while dwarf names are set to pick from mining or mechanism terms, my civ picks from names having to do with knightliness, adventuring, and domination.

In other words, greater immersion!

Someone does need to do a language mod where Elvish is replaced by Tolkienian Quenya though.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: New Languages for New Races
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 04:23:46 pm »

I think there was a decent language generator on the file depot.  Never got a chance to try it out, but it used some cool techniques.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:37:49 pm »

I saw some mods in which people created languages for their races;

I was thinking that we could simply have a compilation thread of all the languages people put work into making, so that other modders could simply use these different languages when they make their own mods.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:23:37 pm »

Aye, Mephansteras had that one command-line language generator.

I started working on a Python-based generator with a more user-friendly interface once, but it never got anywhere. I plan to start it up again in the next month or two so, though, as I desperately want to use one for my next-gen DF mod (and have an innate aversion to command lines).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 07:25:36 pm »

Yeah, it's perl and not very friendly to Non-coders. But it does a good job and all of my races have custom languages.

The DFFD link is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=463

You're also welcome to simply snag the language files out of Civilization forge if you want to save yourself some hassle. (Which even has Frost Giants in it)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 08:18:44 pm »

I too am creating a language generator. Haven't looked at any of the others though. Mine should be easy enough to use.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:51:32 am »

Ah, a code-based version should be much better than my mechanistic technique...just lack the programming expertise.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 08:09:57 pm »

Yes, I tried to do it by hand as well. Then I remembered that I knew how to program, and could automate it far better. Then I realized that I could do some fun things with that automation. Then I realized that...

Eventually, when I stop realizing things, I'll finish the program.