Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying an NES/SNES- questions  (Read 1584 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Buying an NES/SNES- questions
« on: October 10, 2009, 10:12:47 pm »

So, as some of you may recall, I have a few NES games lying around (picked 'em up at a garage sale). And I've been wanting to get an SNES for a long time as well.

It occurred to me quite a while ago that they're well within my budget, and I know where to get them (there's a store within driving distance that carries old games, so I can even probably avoid ebay shenans).

So, if I buy an NES/SNES/both, will the cables be compatible with my TV?

And what about those NES/SNES combo console things? Are they good? Do they have weird 3rd party controllers? I can get one in new condition, but are they innately prone to failure? If there aren't many drawbacks, I'd like to do this because it costs about as much as either of the consoles alone.

Also, why is that fuzzy noise coming from my speaker when there's no audio playing? And what's the meaning of life? And why do geoducks exist?

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Buying an NES/SNES- questions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 10:14:42 pm »

Didn't they always use the old component cables? Video, left, right?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 10:16:23 pm »

SNES uses your standard RCA cables to connect to your TV. Should still work with most TV's. If you can connect a modern console, you can connect a SNES. Now a NES I think had some funky crap because RCA didn't exist yet.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:19:10 pm »

I don't remember what my old TV had (I was like 8), but I had to buy an adapter for my N64 when we upgraded TVs that connected to VLR.

On a side note, writing that reminded me that it was a three-headed cable that has a gamecube, N64, and SNES hookup. If the SNES uses the same cable as the NES and that dual-console whatsit, then no problems.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:20:37 pm »

NES doesn't use the 3 headed yellow, red, white cable.

Duke just said that.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 10:25:15 pm »

Actually, after doing some very basic research I found that the NES came in both RCA and RF Modulator versions. Although considering the stories people have, the RF Modulator was more common. It was basically something you had to replace the rabbit ears of your television with. And it used small exposed cables for some ungodly reason.

Not to mention it was apparently stupidly unreliable. Try to find a NES 2 if you can.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 10:30:08 pm »

Speaking from experience, the NES and SNES can both use a cable to RCA adaptor. Not sure about the double, but both are excellent purchases. I still play Kirby Super Star from time to time.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 03:39:37 pm »

Actually, after doing some very basic research I found that the NES came in both RCA and RF Modulator versions. Although considering the stories people have, the RF Modulator was more common. It was basically something you had to replace the rabbit ears of your television with. And it used small exposed cables for some ungodly reason.

Not to mention it was apparently stupidly unreliable. Try to find a NES 2 if you can.
I got the RF modulator version, never even heard of a different one. There are no exposed cables whatsoever and that thing STILL works after DECADES of abuse.

A common piece of equipment you might find in households with NESes might be ye olde VCRs. You can use one of those just fine to plug that NES into anything modern. (make the VCR receive that nes signal like a tv programme and spit it out via scart)

Cody Corcoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 12:45:19 am »

I own an NES 2, and as far as I know it was not available with the AV out, only the RF modulator.

I found mine for $10 with 2 controllers, the zapper, and 4 games at a garage sale.  The Game Exchange here in the town I live has some for approximately $65. 

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 08:33:33 am »

Don't forget that with cartridges that old, the internal battery for the games themselves is likely to be dead by now.  I've heard some very sad tales of people no longer able to save their Earthbound games on the original cart and being forced to resort to emulators.  The games should still work fine, but if the internal battery is dead, you won't be able to save anything between plays.  Of course, if the games you have don't have a save feature, it's nothing to worry about anyway.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 06:02:28 pm »

Original NESes seem to still work great, with one exception:  The 72 pin connector (what the cart actually plugs into) is usually the first, and only, thing to go.  My understanding is that it is TIME based, not usage based, so picking up an old one might still give you some issues.

If you start having issues that make you want to blow into the cart and into the NES to fix them, (IE gray screen, flashing power, and maybe if you fuss with it for 15+ minutes, a garbled into screen), you need to replace your 72 pin connector.  You have to unscrew almost everything, and use a little bit of force to get the old 72 pin connector off, but it's early 80s tech, so any amateur electronics tech will probably be able to do it.

Any used-game store that stocks NES cartridges will almost CERTAINLY have brand new 72 pin connectors for somewhere in the $10 range, my local one offered to install it for me for another $10 (did it at home with no problems). As for NES 2s, I don't think any place even HAS replacement parts.  The original is probably a better investment!  Mine works just like new after replacing that part.

And for batteries, well, I know my old Wizardry cart still works fine and I think my Zelda one still works as well.  They are not ALL guaranteed to be dead by any stretch, there is probably a lot of variability.  (I ran into a dead Wrecking Crew cart like ten years ago!)  I wonder if it's possible to replace the batteries...hmm.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!