Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Epic of Obok (Formerly A tale of Love, Loss, and Sacrifice.)  (Read 1908 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Characters:
Obok Inekol (Champion Wrestler/Captain of the Guard/High General over the forces of Analeshal also known as Agemourn, populated by the Fresh Torch, of Seshsolon, also known as the Socketed Flags)
Shem Melbilusen (Wife of Obok, bowyer)
Azstrog Uksoga Ozudkozzo Akaz (Local Leader/Mace Lord of the Goblin Nation of Zolak Sog, also known as The Sins of Direction)

Date: Late Summer of the year 206, second siege of Agemourn.

In Agemourn, there is a proud tradition of wrestling. To those of the Fresh Torch, there is nothing of greater prestige than to be able to prove oneself capable of handling any foe, no matter the odds, with no more than one's armored body. For ages this practice had held true, though the marksdwarves made up a large portion of the military as well, for they provided an offensive option for when it was necessary to raised the bridge, and the enemy encamped outside. All the same, there was an animosity between the wrestlers and marksdwarves that was totally unseen between other wielders of weapons. The marksdwarves had largely been recruited from the hunter and ranger population of the fortress, seen as untrustworthy to begin with. Their leader was a cut throat brigand who's name has been struck from the records of Agemourn, so great was his betrayal in the end.

Obok was the greatest of the wrestlers. No one could match him in combat while he donned his armor and strode forth into the daylight to slay all who stood before him. None could match him for sheer deadly efficiency, speed, or power in the martial arts. Oddly, though he was the greatest of wrestlers, he held the least animosity for the Marksdwarves, and in fact had married a bowyer by the name of Shem, who he loved greatly, and had a single daughter with. He was drinking friends with the Leader of the Marksdwarves, who had trained with him in the early days of Agemourn's military, founded almost 4 years ago. He always defended his friend, never allowing a word said against him. The Marksdwarf had saved him more than once with his steady aim and eagle eye, placing a shot on an enemy who could've taken Obok from behind. Together they had fought off every raid that had come to Agemourn, striking them down before a single casualty could be taken. Further, it was almost single handedly that these two broke the back of the first siege of age mourn, in the year 205, while the other soldiers had yet to be roused, or were distracted with other things. This siege had been led by the infamous Goblin Mace Lord Azstrog, who had slaughtered a hapless crew of masons building a road on the top of the mountain when he first arrived to besiege the city. He escaped that time, badly beaten by Obok, but not dead, only angered and filled with hatred for this pathetic beardling.

It was the next year, that traps set and readied, that almost all the dwarves succeeded in getting into the fortress, all, bar 3, one was Obok's own daughter, who he had no idea was outside, nor could he have helped, being forced to bring a law breaker to the prison in the midst of a siege to placate the mayor. It is said that seeing the loot on the field of battle caught Obok's friend's eye, and he threw the switch to lower the draw bridge, leading his own men out to take the booty from both the two slain dwarves and the goblins they had shot down, only Obok's daughter lived, cowering behind an archery target until the bridge lowered and she dashed for the exit. Azstrog saw her, seeing easy prey he dashed forward, almost taking her before her mother picked her up, having run from the fortress. She managed to get a few yards before Azstrog's mace took her leg, crushing it, and still she crawled on, trying desperately to sheild her child. Then Azstrog's mace came down on her head, sending Shem to a final rest.

This surly would have been the end for Shem and Obok's daughter if not for the Marksdwarves arriving on the scene, unleashing bolt after bolt. They only succeeded in distracting Azstrog, who laughed, giving the child time to race past the Marksdwarves. Who still moved forward, firing as they did. Azstrog gave a signal, and a hail of Arrows stormed back at the Marksdwarves, who, no longer behind the shield of fortifications, were cut down to the dwarf.

It was then that Obok came charging out, a below of pure and utter fury as he slammed into the Goblin Lines. Azstrog's smile faltered, as rage incarnate tore goblin limb from limb, hurling them the length and breath of the small valley the fort entrance had been tucked into, leaving only bloody smears. Soon he face Azstrog, dealing even more damage, but not before he had one of his arms broken. Azstrog was beaten though, he tried to limp away in the only direction he could, into the fortress, with a snap and a clank, he found himself inside an iron cage. Obok didn't even spare him a glance as the Goblin lines broke and ran, he simply picked up the body of his wife, and brought her to the crypts.

It would only be later that Azstrog, broken and beaten, a goblin Mace lord lain low, his prison housed on the edge of a pit so deep he couldn't see the bottom, simply a strange glow. He would look up, to see Obok, eyes gleaming in the unlit prison. "You took two dwarfs dear to my heart this day you green skinned scum." he spit through the bars. "And so I find it fitting that the Torch Thane(mayor) has decided to offer you as a sacrifice to armok"
"You know if you let me out of here I'll slay you all." the goblin grinned, he was hurt, but not as badly as the Obok, now past the traps, Azstrog could easily kill every dwarf in the fortress.
"Oh, you seem to misunderstand," said as he opened the cage, grabbing the surprised Azstrog by the throat and hurling him out into the pit, "You'll find your own way there."

Azstrog seemed to hang in the air for a moment, a look of shock and disbelief on his face, as he began to fall. Down and down he went, more than a hundred dwarf lengths, before crashing into the alter, armor, weapons, and all, of Armok. The blood god's statue, looking on with bloody tears of Magma, seemed pleased by this offering on his alter.

The total casualties came to more than a full tenth of the population, 13 dwarves dead, 10 of those because the gates had been opened. Obok's marksdwarf friend's name was scourged from the records of Agemourn, despite Obok's protests, so certain was he that his friend had opened the gates only to save his dearest friend's child.

Obok still lives on, though he has not forgotten, the enmity between marksdwarves and wrestlers remains, and the goblin sieges continue, if slightly abated for no longer being lead by Azstrog, but Obok still works for progress between the two factions of the military, and the fortress. He feels he owes it both to his dead wife, and to his dead friend.

((The whole back story of enmity between wrestlers and marksdwarves happened because I noticed that no one seemed to want to stick to being a marksdwarf, and further, those that did never became more than passing acquaintances with any of the wrestlers, except for dear old Obok there. The rest of the story is pretty much exactly what happened. I'm still surprised Obok got out of bed from healing to personally toss Azstrog into my sacrifical pit >_> it's not QUITE to the level described in this story, BUT IT WILL BE! I SWEAR IT!))
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:52:13 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of Love, Loss, and Sacrifice.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:49:44 am »

That was... Beautiful :'(
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: A tale of Love, Loss, and Sacrifice.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 04:46:27 am »

all I really need for the saga to be completed is for a somebody to get a strange mood, use Azstrog's bones to make something with the imagery of what happened, maybe an artifact bone helmet that I could give to Obok... ah well...

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: The Epic of Obok (Formerly A tale of Love, Loss, and Sacrifice.)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 03:57:51 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but Obok just went on to new levels of Awesome. So I'm chronicalling his exploits.

It was 208 before another Goblin siege would strike, the fortress population had risen to nearly 120 dwarves, and construction was underway of a new tower. The goblins, leaderless as they were, had brought bowgoblins to deal with the construction workers on the tower. Obok, seeing this, HURLED himself off the tower, taking several bolts, before turning the archers into so much green and red paste on the ground. Badly wounded, it appeared that the wrestlers and macegoblins would soon take him, that's when his fellow wrestlers, a swordsdwarf, 2 speardwarves, and the newly trained Marksdwarves came to the rescue. Driving the Goblin Invasion off. But if it hadn't been for Obok's incredible actions, it is almost certain that the masons and stone workers, as well as many of the miners, of Agemourn would have died that day, filled with Goblin made bolts and arrows.

((True Story: Obok was up there patrolling my new emergency defense tower I was building near where the goblins usually show up, I didn't expect them, and the masons were getting Wounded. I think Obok got hit and fell off the tower before decidedly kicking goblin ass left and right, he's currently yellow EVERYWHERE except his head and upper torso. No organ damage, this will probably take a good long while to heal, but he ain't dead yet. I'm beginning to wonder if even a mega beast will be able to take him down...))

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 05:20:33 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but Obok just went on to new levels of Awesome. So I'm chronicalling his exploits.

It was 208 before another Goblin siege would strike, the fortress population had risen to nearly 120 dwarves, and construction was underway of a new tower. The goblins, leaderless as they were, had brought bowgoblins to deal with the construction workers on the tower. Obok, seeing this, HURLED himself off the tower, taking several bolts, before turning the archers into so much green and red paste on the ground. Badly wounded, it appeared that the wrestlers and macegoblins would soon take him, that's when his fellow wrestlers, a swordsdwarf, 2 speardwarves, and the newly trained Marksdwarves came to the rescue. Driving the Goblin Invasion off. But if it hadn't been for Obok's incredible actions, it is almost certain that the masons and stone workers, as well as many of the miners, of Agemourn would have died that day, filled with Goblin made bolts and arrows.

((True Story: Obok was up there patrolling my new emergency defense tower I was building near where the goblins usually show up, I didn't expect them, and the masons were getting Wounded. I think Obok got hit and fell off the tower before decidedly kicking goblin ass left and right, he's currently yellow EVERYWHERE except his head and upper torso. No organ damage, this will probably take a good long while to heal, but he ain't dead yet. I'm beginning to wonder if even a mega beast will be able to take him down...))

It's also possible that, being a high level wrestler, he dodged an enemy bolt...right off the wall. I've never seen someone get knocked back by a crossbow bolt before.

I imagine he dodged off on purpose as a distraction to save the masons.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 08:10:11 am »

I've seen a dwarven child be propelled away into a wall by a goblin arrow... or bolt.

Also - shadowclasper... Your writing is pretty fantastic - keep it up. Send the wrestler into stupid situations, whatever you can. I just want to read more.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 01:10:41 pm »

((This stuff keeps happening on it's own dude. It's epic.))
There was a time when some how, one of Obok's own guards, an elite wrestler by the name of Astesh, stood accused of not making the production quote for the local lord. Obok obviously refused to imprison this fine soldier, for the wrestler was FAR too busy training for the goblin sieges to make things for the irrate lord. That's when the Hammerer was called in. Obok had always detested the brute, and to come into the barracks and find the man beating one of his OWN GUARDS into a bloody pulp was too much. Obok snapped. He charged the Hammerer, lifting the dwarf off his feet and crushing him into a nearby wall. Obok then took out nearly 4 years of rage and hatred upon the Hammerer, beating him left and right, before, finally, tossing his bloody mess that was left of him straight into the limestone door into the barracks, breaking the lock, and down the stairs into the armory. He clapped his hands a few times, wiping them free of the blood and sweat and dust, then dragged the hammerer, by his heels, up the steps, and tossed him into a bed, breaking the legs on it with a resounding crash.

The Hammerer still has not recovered, and though he has not died of his wounds either. It is noticable that he flinches everytime he sees Obok now, who passes through the barracks quite often, for his office is directly across it from the Hammer's bed. This is yet another tale of Obok, the only dwarf to make a Hammerer know fear.

((True story: This actually happened. Obok was good friends with the dwarf who was beaten to death by the Hammerer. He threw a tantrum and beat the shit out of the Hammerer, who stumbled away down the stairs, fainted, and Obok snapped out of his tantrum, pulled the dwarf up, put him in bed, and the Hammerer is still there. I think everything on his entire body was turned yellow. So far, no one has tried to arrest Obok and put him in the prison, and I don't think the Hammerer is going to even TOUCH Obok if the warning is given. I'm half surprised that "Fears Obok Inekol above all other things" didn't get put into his thoughts and preferences.))
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:46:54 pm by shadowclasper »

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 02:44:51 pm »

I'm half surprised that "Fears Obok Inekol above all other things" into his thoughts and preferences.

Wait.

Does that sentence mean that that thought is in his thoughts, or that you're surprised that that thought isn't in his thoughts?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 02:45:59 pm »

I mean I'm surprised it ISN'T in his thoughts. Of course it's not there -_-; I WISH it was there. It being there would be epic beyond all belief, but since it isn't, I can only WISH it was there.

Also corrected the error, my apologies. Was typing too fast before, bad habit.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:47:40 pm by shadowclasper »

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 12:51:16 am »

In the year 209, Obok retired from captain of the guard, turning the position over to a young Swordmaster in the guard, an expert in using two blades at once. He turned himself towards learning the intricacies of EVERY weapon, slowly but surely, he mastered first the humble axe, turned towards the sword, and further towards the hammer and mace. He had an indomitable will about him, seeking to master each weapon in turn. It is said that he currently wields his fists, axe and sword with legendary skill, but that he has forgone the hammer and mace for the momment to learn more about the cross bows his wife once built, and that his friend once used. He has taken up the goblin bone cross bow that his friend once used. Though no goblin force has invaded yet, it is suspected that he will soon wield it with DEADLY accuracy and a skill to rival the greatest of hunters. For Obok wishes to be nothing less than a true Weaponmaster, capable of laying low the enemies of Agemourn no matter who they are, or who they profess to be.

((Thinking of making a new thread with stories from Agemourn as a whole...))
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:11:52 am by shadowclasper »

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 01:17:24 am »

It was on the 22nd of Granite, 210, when the winter melt had only just past, that a goblin force not only broke into Agemourn, but nearly penetrated past her trade halls. Marching under a hail of cross bow fire, thinning their numbers greatly, it still seemed all was lost, for they had a pair of trolls with them, these titanic beasts seemed to shrug off all blows. The Spiked Ball traps were jammed with all manner of goblin corpses, the cage traps filled, the bridge had not been pulled up in time, and doing so now would do no good now that the Trolls had passed it.

It wasn't until they penetrated the lone hall, filled with Mace Lords, Elite Wrestlers, and the various weapons masters of Agemourn that the horde gave pause. Only the titanic trolls moved forward. All seemed to be lost, for even the greatest of Dwarven Champions quaked as the very halls rocked and shook from the violence of their steps.

There stood the greatest champion and weapons master of Agemourn, Obok Hillwheeled, the Trite Rapidity of Sands. Standing there, with a single goblin bone spear. The trolls snorted and laughed at him, before charging.

With a deft motion, he side stepped the first ones charge, driving his simple bone spear up and through the monster's throat, right up through the top of his skull. He then used the imbedded spear to swing himself about, landing on the back of the second troll, with a single deft motion, he snapped the beasts neck. As it fell backwards, he launched himself at the horde of goblins, screaming his rage. He had taken their lord, he had killed two trolls with a ceremonial spear and his bare hands. There was nothing they could bring to bear that could frighten him.

With a tremendous roar, the Fortress Guard, Mace Lords, and various champions hurled themselves into the fray, spears jabbing, fists striking, axes chopping, maces smashing, and the deadly whistle of crossbow bolts hurling through the air. It was not long before the Goblin horde had been utterly broken, smashed beyond repair. Only 5 out of the nearly 80 goblins managed to escape.

((Okay, it didn't happen EXACTLY like this. But Obok got the kills for both trolls, and got his spear stuck in the first one he killed. So I like to think of it as happening like this))
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:09:21 am by shadowclasper »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 04:07:52 am »

As in, happening like EPIC!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 04:55:29 am »

A W E SOME. I so want to tell you about my dwarven hero, but this is not the place and your stories are too amazing to play story topper. Get a Legendary engraver to work right away chronicling the events! I guarantee he'll put your champion's story in his work.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 11:06:53 am »

It's a bit hard to find because I engrave -everything-

Anyway. A new chapter. The Siege of Agemourn on the 23rd of Hematite exacted a terrible toll on Agemourn. A curtain wall had been erected, it's purpose was simply to allow the guard to fight those foolish enough to come around it, if necessary. It had been deemed that leaving everything to the traps was no longer and option.

The warriors deployed just outside the front gates, but as they fought and slew the goblins foolish enough to come around the wall, they allowed their pride and arrogance to take hold of them. They charged around the wall, slaying the goblinsword masters and elite wrestlers with almost pitiful ease. They never saw the goblin bowmen and crossbowmen coming into the valley, not until the arrows began to fly.

All but 3 of the Macelords were cut down, their leading champion and two lesser Macelords, though they exacted a blood vengance upon the goblin scum.

Three marksdwarves, easily the match for every goblin invader, proved themselves worthy of title. Firstly, Bembul Boltgate, now the Stale Heart, and Ducim Deeppage the Accidental Crater of War, so named for the one time he shot a goblin, causing it to explode, leaving behind a scorched crater, it is expected his iron bolt scraped against the metal armor of the goblin, igniting the piss-water they dared call booze, goblin filth and grease did the rest. Finally, Nish Roastedgates, the very son of the marksdwarf who had been so close to Obok, the Pristine Admirer of Worries.

These three prooved themselves thrice over by giving covering fire to the dwarves as the retreat into the halls was sounded. Only two dwarves, both champion wrestlers, stayed outside.

Obok Hillwheeled (Now known as "Hammerfists" by the younger members of the guard), and Zan Peacewalls (many have commented that his name is quite ironic, though Zan has often claimed the contrary, it is through his efforts and those of his fellows in guilds elite unit, the Guilded Comets, that allow peace to reign within the walls of Agemourn), both in martial trances, hurled themselves into the thick of the foe. Smashing them left and right, arrows skittering off their armor like rain. Nothing seemed able to stop them. It was only call of one lone macelord, his spine badly damaged, forcing him to crawl on the ground, still attempting to fight the foe, that broke Obok of his trance. He picked the stricken dwarf up, and called to Zan, who he could hear, but no see for Zan was surrounded by wrestlers and bow goblins, all seemed lost, until the young warrior charged out of the fray, grinning, his gauntlets drenched in gore, he slapped Obok on the back, and both hurried back into Agemourn, vaulting over the moat and down the rising drawbridge, just as it slammed closed.

The death toll, while not as horrible as those of earlier years, for not a single civilian death had occurred, was still sad. 4 Champions had died this day. 2 Mace Lords, 1 Wrestler from Obok's Guilded Commets, and 1 Guard who Obok had personally trained. So Obok swore never again to allow this atrocity to happen, he began pushing for a better designed curtain wall, further fortifications, and for more training amongst the military. When the time came, Obok would personally lead the retaliation against the Sins of Direction, he would personally see to it that the goblin's black towers would fall. He swore it.

((At this point, I'm just waiting for a dragon to attack, and for him to bullrush the sucker and drag it into the river, drowning it before fighting off a horde of carp and leaping out of the water, screaming defiance before walking out on a ramp of their corpses. He's about to get a tomb of freaking AWESOME with magma. Trying to get him an entire set of armor made out of adamantine. Give him noble housing, though frankly I wonder if he'd even want it :S he's not that kinda guy. maybe the adamantine armor, and the tomb, but I kinda had a coffin reserved for him next to that of his wife... which was bloody hard to get considering she fell into the moat. I just found out that she was pulled in by a damn long nose gar -_- not QUITE as epic I suppose...))
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:41:01 am by shadowclasper »