Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limb-punching!  (Read 916 times)

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limb-punching!
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:05:33 am »

So, one of my squadmembers just punched someone's arm off.  Or other appendage, it doesn't really matter.  What does matter is if this is a bug or not, I wasn't really paying attention to the combat announcements so I dunno what they actually severed.  I saw the flash of yellow text and a big blood splat on the navigation window, yet all of my squad's people still have liberal health and nothing ripped off.  Can you actually punch things off people, or punch them in half with good enough stats? If so, that's fucking awesome!

Everyone was wearing SWAT armour, 4 people in my squad with martial arts skills ranging from 12 to 16, and strength stats from 11 to 17.

Secondary note: All my squad members other than the founder have a higher Wisdom than Heart.  Remind me never to try and take on news anchors >.>
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Limb-punching!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:24:12 pm »

Punches normally can't do that. Most likely they punched a limb off of a corpse you were hauling. There's a weird bug where corpses horrifically combust in a fountain of gore the moment something impacts them, regardless of whether that attack could normally explode limbs. It's not a major well-known bug only because it has no significant gameplay ramifications. :P

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 11:07:29 pm »

someone with high enough martial arts should be able to tear off limbs.

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:23:41 pm »

Especially with those stats. Someone with that much strength can basically break down doors with a sharp poke.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 02:28:16 am »

i think this should be marked 'as designed'. We know toady loves punching parts off of people, as witnessed in DF adventure mode :P

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:22:53 am »

Punches normally can't do that. Most likely they punched a limb off of a corpse you were hauling. There's a weird bug where corpses horrifically combust in a fountain of gore the moment something impacts them, regardless of whether that attack could normally explode limbs. It's not a major well-known bug only because it has no significant gameplay ramifications. :P

No one was killed or even injured on my side, so unless the Conservatives can haul bodies, I don't think that was what happened.  I've got a 20 strength guy who I'm planning to train up and see if I can recreate it, but it's probably a one-in-a-million chance.

One other question too: Does the club skill determine how accurate you are when you thump people with guns with no ammo?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:03:04 am by Sithlordz »
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 09:27:35 am »

as Improv Melee is out then its that or Martial Arts.
ihave had arms bashed off before by a cop with a club in lcs and in df
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 03:15:30 pm »

Yes, club skill is used in melee with guns.