Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The death of a thousand Needles, a succession game  (Read 1484 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The death of a thousand Needles, a succession game
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:30:07 pm »

SOOO, I've wanted to be in a succession game for awhile now, but due to my not checking enough I've missed every new one for the past month.  We will be using a folder I custom modded to include various things, dig deeper, orc's, two of the own creation (dagger's, basically cultist dwarves real pain in the ass the first year or two, been known to siege just after the first caravan, easy to kill though  Has Improved bows like the elves, so they are killers if they have marksman.  Tcho Tcho, made em for the Cthulu mod.)
What I need from you guys is who wants to go second, how long we should make the turns, where we should embark, names of dwarves ect.

Basic Succession rules, each person gets a dwarf and they have the fort for a set amount of time,   I'm thinking we start somewhere with flux, HFS, underground river, magma pipe (optional, though any good fort needs one), sand (for those damn mooded glass makers) and iron, trees and above ground rivers optional.

Current turn order:
Kilakan:
Rosedrake
Confusticator
HFS, we are screwed if he finds the hidden fun pit.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:34:49 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: The death of a thousand Needles, a succession game
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:39:26 pm »

You can upload the save folders here:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/

You'll need to compress them to a .zip or .rar or something similar, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 08:43:31 pm »

that sounds like a better idea, I'll upload the DF we will be using tomorrow, tonight I sleep and dream of what horrible things could happen in this fortress.
Nom nom nom

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 08:41:10 am »

.... :o can i be in?

the name you gave this thread gave me an idea for a huge megaproject in this fort, see... you make a 10x10 wide pit filled with upright spikes each with 10 steel menacing spikes in it, all linked to a lever.

1000 needles/spikes.

above it would be a maze of retracting bridges, with a pressure plate before anything gets to step on the bridge. and a failsafe weapon trap at the end of it.

also a tall tower around it for sacrificial purposes.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 02:59:10 pm »

sounds good, I'll get the file up soon
Nom nom nom

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 03:53:43 pm »

This is gonna be our play area, it has an under ground river, a chasm, a above ground river, sand, trees, savage animals  ;D and HFS, if you guys think that magma is a must though I can find another spot.

Oh and I did prefer it for the name, the embraced spike is just too awesome to give up.
Nom nom nom

Confusticator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:55:24 am »

Sweet! Ive been trying to get into a succession game for a while too! I want in, if I may!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 12:07:00 pm »

looking at the title I assumed someone had modded cactuars in or something.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 02:38:54 pm »

no, no cactaurs I just named it after the area we are playing in.  And ya anyone can get in who wants in.
Nom nom nom

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 04:20:37 pm »

The first year, as told by Kilakan,
It was a peaceful start, the farms were built quickly, bed rooms dug and basic beds made.  The food stores steadily grew, workshops were made and I finished my first suit of armor, not an impressive suit, but I have a feeling it will come in handy.  Every day and night we hear the scurrying and scratching of spiders, troglytes, giant ants and more from the chasms, even on a routine day the woodworker ran into a slime, and as he chases it down to make sure it was dead, he swears he saw a giant cave swallow of all things.  Of course when the caravan came, they couldn't take the easy route, no they decided to go through the mountains and were attacked by the troglytes, one wagon was destroyed and a lama killed, the rest of them left..........  However it seems a good thing they left so quickly, the wagon was carrying a few steel shields, some weapons, a few bags, some food, cloth and even a few gems.

The winter was boring and long, that is until at the very late winter.  It seems the walls and traps we put up came in usefull, there was a damn ambush.  One of our dogs died, but 10 of the daggers died, it was a good battle, I even got the first kill.  My suit of armor proved useful for the wood cutter, who only received a minor cut because he was wearing the suit, I dread what could have happened had he not been wearing the suit.

Yes curse them indeed.

It was a short lived battle, though a few escaped, I fear the worst should they return in numbers

MITHRIL, by the gods, and even GOLD!!!

annnnnd the file!!! dunndun daaaaa
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1470
Nom nom nom

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 09:54:13 pm »

Yo, I'm in.

Do you know how to crop your pictures?

EDIT: PM me when it's my turn.

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:57 am »

:< one year went by so fast... i have a craploads of unfinished things, but none of them kills the FPS-- i also cleaned it up, tried to expand the outdoors area, replaced the traps by a hatch...

there are notes scattered all over the place-- do whatever you want with them... prollie delete them, when you feel like it's time.

i included my init file which has larger grid set, symmetrical tileset setting, no sound/intro/no prompt/windowed mode, show fps, fps cap... all that, use that if you don't want to go through the inits manually.

SAVE

well, this is the death of a thousand needles, so we're gonna make a big walled-in 10x10 area of spiked traps, each filled with 10 steel menacing spikes, in front of the trade depot. each of the spikes would be linked to the pressure plates under the mist generators (those are set to trigger at 1/7 depth water).

if that's done, we can just leave the hatch open, and just somehow forbid the dorves from going outside further from the safe abovegrounds area. any ambushers/siegers would be instant kebab.

i'm sorry for the lack of screenshots and stories-it's late here, and i have to go to sleep soon because i have school... maybe i'll make some asciidraw, or handdrawn pictures for it, and a proper story, after i'm back form school tomorrow.

just bug me anywhere if something ticks your mind. i also hope to get another turn here :> this is my first succession game ever, and it was fun! (not the losing variety, mind you)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 03:46:07 pm »

Bump, confuticator, hurry up man.
Nom nom nom

Confusticator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 12:28:43 pm »

Sorry everybody, had some problems downloading the save. The computer kept trying to save it as an itunes file. I got it, and I'll have my year done by tomorrow fellas.

Confusticator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 04:32:53 am »

well, the year is almost up...
I'll post all the details soon, with shots and stuff.
as a side note, dwarfen population is under control.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 04:45:25 am by Confusticator »
Pages: [1] 2