Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for Seed  (Read 488 times)

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
Looking for Seed
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:52:16 am »

I do apologize for creating another seed request thread, but I was wondering if anyone one has a map with both freezing and evil (the eviler the better) embarkable sites. A map with those would be great by itself, but the addition of any of the following would enhance it greatly:

Magma (that's a biggie, Im honestly not sure how I cope without it.)
UG river (for providing water to the wounded/part of a planned project, but an underground pond for towercaps would suffice)
HFS would be great but understandably hard to gen with the evil/freezing zone.

Also, if someone could take the time to explain (or link me somewhere) what numbers I would have to change, and also why Im changing them I love knowing why, in the world generator to gen something like described I would be eternally grateful too.
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Seed
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:54:53 am »

Fortunately, evil/good/savage settings have no effect on the rest of worldgen, so you can easily just tack them on to an otherwise-gennable world. So all you really need to do is tweak the temperature ranges to be low and you should get freezing biomes. Try in the 0-10 range. Just be aware that if you make the entire map into a glacier, then humans and elves won't be able to exist, which may cause map rejects (it's fine if they die out during history; I don't know if it's OK for them not to be able to exist ever).

You can make magma more likely by increasing the volcanism on your map, and by increasing the number of volcanoes. These are two separate things; the former generally affects the frequency of magma pipes and the likelihood that rock layers will be igneous, while the latter creates 3x3 regions of mountains with a big magma pipe in the middle, and scatters other magma sources about the vicinity.

Underground rivers and HFS are both mountain features, and will exist in any mountainous region as long as the mountain isn't too tiny (As near as I can tell, the game places the HFS, then bottomless pit, then chasm, then underground river/pool, so if you run out of mountain prematurely, you won't get the underground water). You can improve your odds of getting both the river and the HFS by making lots of very small mountains, which forces the mountain features to be closer together. Mountains are any region where the elevation is 300 or higher, so by tweaking the elevation to be in the 290-300 range with very high deviance, you can make tons of small mountains. Note that these settings preclude both oceans and mountain peaks, so you'll have to set the desired numbers of those to 0. Otherwise the maps will continually get rejected.

Finally for evil regions, just set the desired number of evil squares up. 400 for each of the 3 settings seems to work decently for a 65x65 map. You can also do this for savagery to make a "more evil" setting.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels