Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Happy Site  (Read 1716 times)

Fatty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A Happy Site
« on: March 21, 2010, 05:42:59 pm »

Time to stop being a lurker and give a little something back to the community.  I don't think this would be considered Dwarf Heaven, but I thought people would enjoy it.

A 6x6 site that has:
Magma Pipe
Underground River
Underground Pool
Chasm across the entire length
HFS
Limestone (Plenty of It on the outer ring)
Layers of Obsidian in the middle
Sand
Optional Bottomless Pit
Plenty of Savagery

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately it's temperate so no Elephants or Hippos or regular river  :'(  But I hope you enjoy it.  Thank you Toady for this happy game.  Oh and I made this using Mayday's tile set.
If you search for UR, HFS, Magma Pipe and Flux it'll pop up with site finder.

Here's the other settings for Gen.  And yes I put 150 Volcanoes.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Happy Site
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 06:14:00 pm »

Not bad. I'll give it a look. I hope this place has GCS
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

JNewt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:19:21 pm »

Hmm, neat site. Where's the magma located? I wasn't able to find it on the surface.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 12:49:31 pm »

You can see the location in the picture of the embark-region
bottom of the map. In the middle, slightly to the left.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 07:50:35 pm »

:) Sounds like it could be pretty cool. Might bring the framerate to a stagger, but such is the price of awesome locations, I suppose.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 09:28:01 pm »

Wow. That would be a rough landing, too. The chasm is in between where you'll end up embarking and... everything else. So before you can really accomplish a whole lot you're going to have to bridge the chasm.

That'll be a Fun map, I think.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Fatty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 09:34:46 pm »

Actually I thought so too, but except for the end point nearly the entire length of the chasm is covered by at least 3-5 z-levels.  At the end of the chasm is where I set up the entrance to my current fortress on the south side of the map to get easy access to soil.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 09:48:51 pm »

Actually I thought so too, but except for the end point nearly the entire length of the chasm is covered by at least 3-5 z-levels.  At the end of the chasm is where I set up the entrance to my current fortress on the south side of the map to get easy access to soil.

Interesting. So though the chasm cuts the whole way across the map it's not actually requiring bridging, it's more like a tunnel through the mountain than a chasms in and of itself?

Do you think you could post a screenshot of the embark point (not the embark location, the actual wagon screenshot)? Also if you could zoom it out so more of the map is visible that would be totally awesome. :)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Fatty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 12:57:09 am »

As requested Embark Point and also a shot of the Chasm so you can see that it needs no bridge.  A wonderful layer of Rhyolite and Limestone sits on top of it.  And the wonderful name by Dorfs came up for this place.  TwinkledBolts

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 08:06:52 am »

It's too bad that thing is capped. :D I might have to play it anyway, I like where you dug in. Looks like you'll have some excessive Fun. :)