Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 48626 times)

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 03:06:28 pm »

I play as Humans.

Now that's eccentric :)

I build separate room for all my dorfs (even those in the military) from the first day. I also decorate these rooms with random drawers/chest/tables.

Also i often floor nearby lakes - just to make some space.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 03:16:57 pm »

Even though I could usually sustain my entire fort for infinity with underground farming, I like to wall off an area (usually a very large one) outside. I also build a network of roads, and make them high traffic areas (originally to save the trees, but now because I like how it looks). ALWAYS smooth stone roads. I smooth the walls outside too, and make bridges- usually, a few years in, 70% of the map is a fortress, protected in absolute by sniper towers accessible only from underground, and divided up into choke points loaded with traps. There are NO opportunities to fire into the aboveground fort areas, and sniper posts and bridges are fortified. There are usually similar towers where caravans and ambushes come into the map.

And like I said, none of this is really necessary.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 03:30:42 pm »

when I build my production floors (the top 2 or 3 levels) I build four of every workshop so they are in neat squares.

I also LOVE using machines like screw pumps. I love using them to play with water... like making drowning chambers, waterfalls, dams, noble killing chambers. sad to say alot of my forts die of accidental superflooding.

Also everything must have doors... and hatches...every workshop room, stockpile room, everything.

And I always build the fort up, building a huge roof over the outside portion of the fort, and then building huge towers for archers.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:33:35 pm by darkrider2 »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 03:33:38 pm »

I play as goblins.

Everybody has a phase where they want to play as humans, and when they want to build giant towering cities.

But who can say that they have a phase where they want to play as goblins?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 03:46:24 pm »

I have a certain type of hierachy in my forts.

-I build a massive palace for my first expedition leader.
-I build a lot of luxury quarters around it to house my millitary's elites.
-Pillars.
I love making obelisks and pillars in big rooms, when a room is bigger than 2 z-levels, I always leave two obelisks standing in the middle, they're usually 2x2 or 3x3.
-Mausoleum and catacombs, same as with the housing, one gigantic mausoleum for my leader, surrounded by luxurious tombs for my elites.

Not really eccentric but still :P

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 03:50:41 pm »

3. I nearly always name my first dwarfs for the days of the week.

Dopey, Happy, Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Doc, Bashful ;)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 04:41:34 pm »

I play kobolds. Each and every kobold has his or her place in my heart, as well as custom name and title. Sure there's not exactly that many of them, but my tiny little camp is good enough for them all. I've only had one major problem with them, and otherwise they've been perfect little darlings.

You shoulda seen how pleased I was when two of my kobolds fell in love! ^^
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 05:53:03 pm »

All my dwarves get buried in a coffin, and roughly 90% of those have a Note above their coffin describing the circumstances of their death and important facts about their lives.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 05:55:00 pm »

I put my graveyard stockpile right outside the main entrance and the statue garden just beyond it, so on the way to the party dwarves have to climb over their rotting friends or just their skeleton.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 05:58:25 pm »

I replaced kobolds with Olmmen.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 06:17:54 pm »

All my dwarves get buried in a coffin, and roughly 90% of those have a Note above their coffin describing the circumstances of their death and important facts about their lives.

I would probably do that if the notes and corpses survived into adventure mode or reclaim mode.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 06:31:45 pm »

3. I nearly always name my first dwarfs for the days of the week.

That's an awesome idea.  I embarked on a new fortress today and I named them like this since you suggested it.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 06:55:13 pm »

I like that idea...
I may copy you:-)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 07:32:43 pm »

I tend to place caged goblins in my archery range, in between the archery targets, with notes placed, like textballoons, with goblin screams and curses. And I laugh at the idea of those goblins being pummeled by misfired goblin bone bolts for the rest of their pathetic lives.

I usually make a small maze at the bottom level of my fort, and designate it as a personal statue garden for the dwarven philosopher.

My champions all get their own bedroom, with a personal tomb below it.

My legendaries all get their own bedrooms, and engrave it themselves. This is a bit of a micromanagement hassle, as I have to turn off the stone detailing job on all dwarves every time I get a legendary dwarf.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 07:36:13 pm »

I like to keep track of where my dwarves came from and what befell them.

The original seven are given names (either a generic "Founder" or "Pioneer" etc, or alternatively something relating to their main job), while migrants are given a name indicating what wave they came in ("1st Wave", etc).

When a dwarf dies, I change its title to indicate the date and cause of death ("Winter 154.  Goblin siege).

Particularly noteworthy dwarves get their nickname changed to record their great deeds, for example 'Carpbane' Isankeskal LisatNekol, who fought and killed a murderous named carp in its own element, and escape to tell the tale (but was later tragically killed by a Nightwing that appeared on day).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26