Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 49011 times)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #225 on: January 01, 2010, 12:52:03 am »

All my champions are given at least a 7x7 room (larger if they earned their skills in battle), fully smoothed and engraved by legendaries. They also get a Mausoleum grade tomb with any thing they like that I have in them. If they like an animal, I chain up two of them in behind it's doors as 'gaurd animals'.
I train all my military dwarves in Master or greater in wrestling and shield user. I use no traps except cage traps, but that's for having fun with prisoners. I build hatches above the outside of my entrance, so my dwarves can air drop into the battle field without risking my citizens. I make a prison with iron wall grates, and low quality beds, and put POWs caught in above traps into them. And there are a few other things I've had engraved into my brain so bad I don't even know if they are eccentric behaviors or not.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 01, 2010, 02:15:02 am »

Every time I get a few migrants I give them the best rooms with floors and walls made of gold for a few days and them I let my champion with the adamite plates adamite spear adamite shield ect play with his new recruits and i chuck there bodies to the carp to eat and kill the carp and get my champion to eat the carp.All that is true except for the part when the champion eats the carp.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #227 on: January 01, 2010, 10:56:24 am »

I have some of the most arty dwarves in the world. Worked-out coal or metal veins and any other odd-shaped rooms I don't have another use for become art galleries, engraved and filled with sculptures. My economy revolves around stone crafts and clothing, encrusted with whatever gems I can find.

Nobody's ever just a hauler. Peasants and dwarves with a trade I don't need right that second are usually set to whatever profession I need the most at that point, preferably something related to their existing skill (wood crafter or bowyer to carpenter, siege engineer to mechanic etc), and hauling is left on for everyone except legendaries and dwarves with a job I need them doing full-time like the butcher and fish cleaner. There's usually fewer dwarves than workshops so hauling gets done on something like a rota.

Wood-burning and smelting takes place aboveground for fear of fire. Forges and kitchens get a grating in the roof for ventilation.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:25 pm »

As long as we're on the subject of tombs, I'm building a "hall of heroes" for any military dwarves that have enough kills for a title. It's not all that fancy, but it has a nice copper vein running through it, at least.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 01, 2010, 06:10:58 pm »

How much kills does one need to be in the hall of heroes?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 01, 2010, 06:26:35 pm »

How much kills does one need to be in the hall of heroes?

They get a title for five significant kills. Which is rather low, actually, at least for a professional soldier.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 01, 2010, 08:35:50 pm »

Every fortress has a cat.

EVERY ONE.

Right now, I'm doing a military/bare minimum fort in a forest (no digging besides for the farm). 6 soldiers, 1 skilled dwarf, a pick, an anvil, food, beer, an axe and a kitten.

I love cats :).
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2010, 12:40:33 am »

Nah no cats for me. I made it so they blow up when the appear on the map.I'm mean ain't I?

ofgeeks

• Bay Watcher
  • For Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2010, 07:05:13 am »

I set my map creation so that it will stop on 9, 99 so that my dwarves start out in year 10 or 100. It just makes it cleaner to keep track of the years for me.

I usually embark with nothing but peasants for added fun.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2010, 07:38:24 pm »

I build hatches above the outside of my entrance, so my dwarves can air drop into the battle field without risking my citizens.

I have used this to save starving and trapper miners before, but never for combat, how do your dwarves manage to survive the rather lengthy period of vulnerability while stunned?

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 03, 2010, 08:12:58 pm »

I build hatches above the outside of my entrance, so my dwarves can air drop into the battle field without risking my citizens.

I have used this to save starving and trapper miners before, but never for combat, how do your dwarves manage to survive the rather lengthy period of vulnerability while stunned?
Only the dwarves that survive being attack while stunned are worthy of his army.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 03, 2010, 09:15:56 pm »

Only the dwarves that survive being attack while stunned are worthy of his army.

Or he cushions their fall with kittens.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #237 on: January 03, 2010, 09:17:29 pm »

That's what I do. Tie a kitten up at the bottom of a 1 tile shaft with a door at the bottom which is closed to pets. If they fall on a creature they take no damage.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 03, 2010, 09:24:41 pm »

Oh. You know, kitten parachutes are a reliable, renewable alternative.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 04, 2010, 12:41:46 am »

What I do to prevent this is set up multiple air drop hatches around my fortress in different places, so the dwarves have time to recover from their fall, form up, and charge. I also believe it would be demoralizing to the enemy to see a squad of gold armored champion dwarves coming from behind them and tearing their partners to shreds.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26