Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35

Author Topic: Wizard Duel - Round 2 - Over - All Hail Org, new High Mage  (Read 41264 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Wizard Duel - Round 2 - Over - All Hail Org, new High Mage
« on: October 06, 2009, 04:38:20 pm »

Since people seemed to enjoy the last one, I'm going to start sign-ups for the next Wizard Duel!

I'm going to be limiting it to 12 spots again, since that seems to have worked well last time.

And now we have 12, so sign-ups are closed.

Basic Premise
  It is time for the old High Mage to retire, and so the ancient tradition of Wizard Duels to choose the next High Mage has begun! The greatest wizards of the Realm have gathered once again to test their mettle against one another. This year, however, things are different. A cabal of Dark Wizards has decided to take the reigns of the Order of Magic for themselves. To do so, they need only remove the other competitors so that they can usurp the High Mage's seat for themselves. By cheating, if possible.

Of course, they need to do that while staying undiscovered, so they'll need to blend in. Fortunately for them, outside involvement during the duels is a time-honored tradition. They just need to make sure that one of them makes it through the tournament all the way to the end. To do that, they've decided to 'remove' some of the competition during the distraction of the duels.

Game will start next Tuesday (10/13)

Wizards of the Realm:
  • Org - Cabal Alchemist and New High Mage!
  • Apostolic Nihilist - Tower Nullifier of Earth
  • Dwarmin - Tower Wizard of Water
  • Neruz - Tower Battle Mage of Air
  • Jim Groovester - Tower Warrior Mage of Fire
  • Pandarsenic - Tower War Mage of Water
  • SHAD0Wdump - Tower Celestial Mage
  • Frelock - Tower Archivist of Air
  • Mr.Person - Cabal Oracle of Earth
  • Beacon80 - Tower Wizard of Fire
  • ExKirby - Cabal Subtle Wizard of Darkness
  • Leafsnail - Tower Seer of Air

Note: When I send you your Role PM, you must reply with your Elemental Affinity and the Color that you wish your magic Runes to be in. The Color is just for flavor, but anyone who doesn't send me a color just gets boring white runes. Please make sure the color can be displayed using BBC code. If you don't use the dropdown, send me the code you want me to use for it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:20:47 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel - Round 2 Sign-ups
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:39:03 pm »

Basic Premise
  It is time for the old High Mage to retire, and so the ancient tradition of Wizard Duels to choose the next High Mage has begun! The greatest wizards of the Realm have gathered once again to test their mettle against one another. This year, however, things are different. A cabal of Dark Wizards has decided to take the reigns of the Council of Wizards for themselves. To do so, they need only remove the other competitors so that they can usurp the High Mage's seat for themselves. By cheating, if possible.

Of course, they need to do that while staying undiscovered, so they'll need to blend in during the day. Fortunately for them, outside involvement during the duels is a time-honored tradition. They just need to make sure that one of them makes it through the tournament all the way to the end. To do that, they've decided to 'remove' some of the competition during the night.

Rules Section:

Order of Actions:
Phase 1) Voting
  Each player gets 2 votes (which must go to two different Wizards). The two Wizards with the most votes will be the Duelists for that day
    In the event of a tie, the Duelists will be determined randomly
Phase 2) Set-up
  Each player states which Wizard they will Assist, and what kind of Assistance they will give. Wizards may choose not to assist anyone, and Subtle Mages do not need to state what they are doing.
Phase 3) The Duel
  The Duel will be run by me using a script I've written. I'll then do a write-up of the battle to keep things exciting.
  During the duel, some Wizards may use Side Actions (like night actions in normal mafia games). This includes the Dark Cabal Wizards, who select one of their members to incapacitate during the confusion surrounding the duel. Side actions are PM'd to be during the set-up phase.

We then start with the next duel

All Wizards will be Role-flipped upon Incapacitation or losing a duel.

Each player will decide on an Elemental Affinity (Fire, Earth, Air, Water) at the beginning of the game. Cabal wizards may also choose the special Dark element. Your Affinity will give you bonuses and penalties in combat depending on whether or not you are using the correct element against your opponent. The rules that describe this are listed in the technical section below.

Each player will also decide on a Rune Color at the beginning of the game. This is simply for flavor, but will also help differentiate people. Please choose a color which can be used in BBCode.

Technical rules:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Special Roles:

Duelist Roles: These wizards are skilled in magic that effects the Duel, and may have advantages in the Duel themselves

War Mage: Has superior offensive magic, and can grant a bigger then usual offensive boost to another mage when assisting a Duel.
  +2 to Attack attribute
  +1 to all Attack Boosts

Battle Mage: Is skilled in personal combat, giving them an edge when defending and can grant a bigger then usual defensive boost to another mage when assisting a Duel.
  +2 to Defense attribute
  +1 to all Defense Boosts

Warrior Mage: Trained in both martial and magical combat, the Warrior Mage can shrug off hits that would incapacitate other mages.
  +5 to Health attribute

Time Mage: Skilled in manipulating the energies of time, the Time Mage is swifter then most other mages, and can grant a bigger speed boost to other mages.
  +2 to Speed attribute
  +1 to all Speed Boosts   

Healer: Has powerful Healing Magic
  +2 to all Healing actions

Subtle Wizard: He specializes in casting magic unseen, and his public Assist actions may not be his real action. He can PM the mod with a different assist choice, if he wishes, which will not be reported to the other players.

Archmage: A very powerful mage, he has a major advantage when dueling other mages.
  +5 to all attributes

Alchemist - While not overly talented in combat magic, the Alchemist has access to very potent magics in the form of potions. When he starts the game he picks one of the following potions. It can either be given to another Wizard as an Assist or he can use it himself before he starts a duel.
    Elemental Affinity - Using this potion allows the Wizard to change their Affinity for the next Duel.
    Fireblood Potion - Using this potion gives the Wizard a huge boost to his offensive capabilities for the next Duel
    Liquid Diamond - Using this potion gives the Wizard a huge boost to his defensive capabilities for the next Duel
    Ironskin potion - Using this potion gives the Wizard a huge boost to his Health rating for the next Duel
    Breath of the Zephyr - Using this potion gives the Wizard a huge boost to his speed capabilities for the next Duel
    Troll's Blood - Using this potion gives the Wizard a huge Healing boost for the next Duel

Celestial Mage: A mage who has the blessings of the Heavens.
  Uses the Light Affinity

Side-Action Roles: These wizards can take actions during the Duel that effect other mages not in the Duel.

Archivist - Has access to all of the records of the Order. Because of this, once per duel he can look through the records to determine what Role a Wizard has as a side-action.

Nullifier: Skilled in the ways of anti-magic, the nullifier can choose one mage each duel and prevent them from effecting the Duel. 

Enchanter: Using their enhanced mind magic, the Enchanter can prevent another Wizard from taking any side-actions that duel.

Guardian: Carefully watches over another Wizard and can prevent them from becoming incapacitated by side-actions during the Duel.

Oracle: Can use their magic to see if another Wizard performs any side-actions during the Duel.

Justicar: A Wizard seeking the destruction of the Dark Cabal. Can examine a Wizard as a side-action to determine if they are part of the Cabal.

Grey Mage: Taking justice into his own hands, he can incapacitate a player each duel as a side-action.

Seer: He can examine one player each duel as a side action to learn their Affinity.

Basic Rules:
The Voting phase will go for 48 hours, or until everyone has cast their two votes. All votes must be in Red
The Set-up phase will last for 48 hours or until everyone has determined their actions.

PMs between players are allowed, and as usual I must be copied on all of them.
Quoting a PM from me (that is not specifically a rules question) will result in a mod-kill. You may quote PMs from other players if you wish.
Incapacitated players may make one final post before heading off to the Medical ward. It may NOT convey any game information.

Unlike most mafias, the game does not actually end until a player has become the High Mage. Therefore all players have two goals, the most important being that someone from their side becomes High Mage. Once the other side has lost, your goal becomes attaining the position of High Mage for yourself.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:09:55 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 04:41:23 pm »

In. I want to be in every round, so if you start just put my name on, please. If I cant join Ill tell you.

Is the other round over?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:47:17 pm »

Mostly. We're down to the last two duelists, so it's over once I run that duel and there really isn't much more that can happen in that game.
Come play Mafia with us!

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 05:15:04 pm »

I'm in. Round 1 looked awesome.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 06:34:52 pm »

I'll sign up for this one.

If anyone doesn't know, I don't play these RTD games very often-my last one was make your own mafia, and I got killed by the vigilante type character for no reason whatsoever I could discern.

So don't expect me to do anything important except for unwittingly support the Cabal Archmage for the entire game, because
I think he's a nice person.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 07:37:13 pm »

/Sign This was fun the last time, be fun to do it properly instead of hooning around like a loon.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 07:46:31 pm »

I'll sign up again.

My time in this game the last round was cut tragically short by the Grey Mage killing me. Thanks, Jetsquirrel!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 09:12:29 pm »

Inface.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 11:09:49 pm »

Alright,I'll try this out.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:14:15 am »

Alright, I'll be in again.  Hopefully I won't look so incredibly scummy that the gray mage kills me over the other claimed gray mage.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 12:17:46 am »

I kno rite? That was awesome.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 12:29:59 am »

Alright, I'll be in again.  Hopefully I won't look so incredibly scummy that the gray mage kills me over the other claimed gray mage.

I still can't believe that happened, really.

Maybe this time I won't fuck the game over by being inattentive. In.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 12:33:19 am »

*cough* not my fault! *Cough*

count me in and for gods sake dont let me be a grey mage again

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 01:39:14 am »

AbracadabrINa!
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35