Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which small mafia setup would you most like to play?

Lyncher w/ Mafia
- 1 (12.5%)
Lyncher w/o Mafia
- 0 (0%)
Dethy
- 6 (75%)
Other (please specify on thread)
- 1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Small Mafia Game - Any Interest?  (Read 2780 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Small Mafia Game - Any Interest?
« on: October 07, 2009, 04:26:27 pm »

I've been thinking about mafia games on this forum recently, and a common complaint seems to be that large games are too bloated, with players flaking and scum getting an easy ride due to the large numbers of players.  So, would anyone like to play a round of a game with far fewer players?  We could choose a bunch of experienced and active players, which should make for a fun and interesting game.  The two variants I have in mind are Lyncher and Dethy.  You can also post any other ideas for small mafia games (7 players or under, I guess) here.  If there's enough interest, I'll run a round of one of them (the small number of players will make it easier, and the fact that there's no night phase in Lyncher would make it easier still :P).

The current setups I'm considering -

Lyncher
Roles: Lyncher, Lynchee, 2 townies, mafia member/ serial killer
The game: The Mafia member/ Serial Killer has a nightkill, and his goal is to be the last player left alive.  The Lyncher wins if the Lynchee is lynched, and this will end the game with no other winners.  The town's aim is to kill both the mafia member and the Lyncher (or have the Lyncher NK'd).  If the Lynchee is nightkilled, then the Lyncher can only win by being left with just 1 towny at the end.  This will require some pretty good gameplay, since a mislynch on the Lynchee will spell an instant loss.  Bear in mind the Lynchee does not know of his role, and will roleflip as a regular towny if he's NK'd.  There is also a variant with no mafia, but this might be a bit too easy for the town to win.

Dethy
Roles: Mafia member, Cop, Naive cop, Paranoid cop, Insane cop
The game: Yes, the archetypal crazy setup.  Basically, the players don't know what kind of cops they are, and need to try and work out who's lying.  The town will usually No Lynch on day 1 and day 2, allowing the two remaining cops to work out who is lying scum.

I quite like the idea of having 5 of Bay 12's best slugging it out in one of these games.  Anyone want to play or got suggestions for the setups?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Small Mafia Game - Any Interest?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 04:30:55 pm »

These sound interesting but I doubt I'm active enough for them. I'll definitely watch though!

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:35:33 pm »

i'd definitely try the dethy game out sounds fun and interesting... maybe when i am done with Borderlands (in a few months) i will do a big dethy type game
Back to Mafia with me!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 05:18:14 pm »

I would love a game of Dethy.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 05:29:27 pm »

I like Dethy and all, but it's fairly easy for town to win it. You need cleverness as scum.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 05:33:27 pm »

I like Dethy and all, but it's fairly easy for town to win it. You need cleverness as scum.

Yeah, couldn't everyone come out as which cop they are?  The scum would have a 50/50 chance of living the first day and 0/0 chance of living the next.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 05:39:17 pm »

Yeah, couldn't everyone come out as which cop they are?  The scum would have a 50/50 chance of living the first day and 0/0 chance of living the next.
You don't know which kind of Cop you are.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 05:44:39 pm »

You don't know which kind of Cop you are.

Oh yeah, sounded broken for a second there.  :-D

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 07:39:19 pm »

I've seen dephys played before by people who know the strategy.  It's not AS broken as you think, but it is insanely hard for the scum to win.

The cops mostly avoid lynching the first few nights and, instead, investigate then declare their findings (the scum usually make a bogus investigate).  After a few days, you can actually dump it all into a spreadsheet and, with some deductive reasoning, can figure out who is who.  Eventually, it becomes clear who is mafia.

Of the 6 games I've read, the only games where the mafia won was when one of the cops failed to do what they should (either didn't post their findings, didn't use the investigations to find the scum, or simply acted stupid). 

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 07:42:16 pm »

I've seen dephys played before by people who know the strategy.  It's not AS broken as you think, but it is insanely hard for the scum to win.

The cops mostly avoid lynching the first few nights and, instead, investigate then declare their findings (the scum usually make a bogus investigate).  After a few days, you can actually dump it all into a spreadsheet and, with some deductive reasoning, can figure out who is who.  Eventually, it becomes clear who is mafia.

Of the 6 games I've read, the only games where the mafia won was when one of the cops failed to do what they should (either didn't post their findings, didn't use the investigations to find the scum, or simply acted stupid). 

I actually have a method, but it involves lots of luck and skill. I can't disclose it, because it'll be countered somehow, but yeah.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 10:38:56 am »

Well, the cops only get 2 nights of investigations before they lose (after 3 nights there will be just one cop and one mafia left, obviously a lost game).  So the cops will have to work it out from 7 results, 2 of which are going to be bogus.  Plus, no roleflips, of course, unless the person killed is scum.

I did come up with an idea for "Super Dethy", a 12 player game with 4 cops (one paranoid, one insane, one naive, one normal), 4 doctors (one normal, one useless, one CPR, one who always kills his patient) and 4 roleblockers (one normal, one useless, one who'll only block mafia, one who'll only block town players).  Any 3 of these players could be scum.  Of course, you'd only be told whether you're a cop, a doc or an RB, and not what kind you are.  The flavour text would also be sure not to tell a cop if the person has already been killed (so, let's say a doctor finds his patient dead next morning, he won't know if he's a CPR, or if he's the Secret Vig, or if a CPR arrived after he'd cured someone from a previous kill etc).  This game, however, seems a bit too crazy.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 10:53:21 am »

Hey, I like crazy! Maybe we can have Four "Rods" as well-a Nexus, a Lightning Rod, a Fake and one which is a combination of both-he shifts all targets to him, unless they already targeted him, in which case, they bounce elsewhere.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 11:02:08 am »

A lightening rod would cause utter havoc, Exkirby.  I mean, 15 actions hitting someone at the same time...

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 11:12:14 am »

To win a dethy you must make sure you kill people who are going to use an excel spreadsheet.

I mean it.  I've played Dethy on IRC and NEVER lost as long as I lived.  actually, I think I never lost either way... :P

If you keep logical thinking and scum doesn't get amazingly lucky then it will be fairly obvious.

Lyncher, on the other hand... is a very fun, but also possibly frustrating setup :P

If the Lynchee is nightkilled, then the Lyncher can only win by being left with just 1 towny at the end.
Are you sure?  This way, if town mislynches and lyncher doesn't die town has NO possibilities. 
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 11:16:58 am »

Hmm?

Town mislynches - 1 towny, 1 lynchee, 1 lyncher and a mafia left
Mafia NKs Lynchee - 1 towny, 1 lyncher and a mafia left
Mafia NKs Towny - 1 lynchee, 1 lyncher and a mafia left

Yeah, I see.  The other alternative is to have the Lyncher flip to town when the Lynchee is NK'd (although noone knows if the lynchee has been killed or not).  The reason I didn't put this rule in is because I don't like having side flips, but then again, it's going to be hard for the Lyncher to deliberately make his target get NK'd.  Would you prefer a setup where the lyncher becomes town when the lynchee is nightkilled?

Oh, and yes, the town will need to play EXTREMELY well to win a Lyncher game.  This is why I'd suggest getting 5 of the best players from here, rather than having any fluff or useless posters.
Pages: [1] 2