Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Religious people, make yourselves known!  (Read 61129 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Religious people, make yourselves known!
« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2017, 03:25:25 pm »

@Archibald,
Again, I'd like to point out that you cannot--with certainty--posit that God is good. Only suggest it. That has been the crux of my argument after all. You cannot guilt Tack because the truth is you don't know for certain that God is good.

Again, not trying to convince yo that he/she/they/yahweh is NOT good--simply that you cannot be 100% certain.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2017, 03:40:49 pm »

@Archibald,
Again, I'd like to point out that you cannot--with certainty--posit that God is good. Only suggest it. That has been the crux of my argument after all. You cannot guilt Tack because the truth is you don't know for certain that God is good.

Again, not trying to convince yo that he/she/they/yahweh is NOT good--simply that you cannot be 100% certain.
Reminds me of the Euthyphro dillema.
"Is the pious  loved by the gods because it is pious, or is it pious because it is loved by the gods?"
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2017, 04:23:01 pm »

I mean a tsunami is never good.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2017, 04:25:02 pm »

Maybe it's good for the fish?  ???
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2017, 05:13:43 pm »

Maybe it's possible to have true personal faith, though, but enough doubt not to try and convert others.  I'm curious as to how that sort of thinking works, which is one reason I think we should be nice to religious people who dare post ):<

You misunderstood. I can only go so far as to give someone an advice. It is up to them to listen or not. Forcing someone to believe is both immoral and not an act of true faith. Like I said before, each of us will give an account of ourselves at the end of our lives.
Yeah, that makes sense.  I pointed out "and think you might actually succeed", because it's pointless trying to convert someone who won't be convinced.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't mind people proselytizing in general, only when they're obnoxious about it.  Which applies to any subject of discussion, not just religion, heh.

I especially don't mind online because it's so easy to "walk away", if I feel like a discussion is getting frustrating or circular.  In person it's a lot more uncomfortable...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2017, 08:15:17 pm »

I don't mind anyone attempting to Save me if it means I get to be equally obnoxious in turn. :D

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 04, 2017, 08:53:39 pm »

What is?
××××××××××××××××××

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 04, 2017, 09:00:05 pm »

It's uncomfortable when people try to convert me (IRL).  Or, in my experience, when they assume I'm Christian because I was introduced by a Christian.  I'm being presented as "a good sort", and for most people where I grew up (a major Southern city), that means being at least a bit Christian.  Even if I only go on Easter and tell my kids (cousins kids) the right tales.

Tax-exempted community centers sound fine and all, until you have to fake your way in to get the benefits of meeting the right people.

I should clarify:  I think it's great that a non-atheist is posting here, and I want to hear your point of view.  But I have some issues with organized religion.  I just don't hold them against religious people in general.  I need to understand the religious person's perspective, because it threatens me.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:10:42 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2017, 09:23:31 pm »

You know what annoys me? The assumption that scientists cant be religious. I personally know several of my fellows are and that's just through offhand mentions and such. Its literally been stressed every time the scientific method comes up that its simply not a thing science can weigh in on just like ethics and other such things.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 04, 2017, 09:26:20 pm »

@Archibald,

I don't think I remember a name for the formulation, if one in the general shape has even been made, but one line of thought I kinda' enjoy is one that lays it out that you can be 100% sure that the god you worship is good, because if a god is not, then you don't worship it. If there is a god that is not good, it is not that god which you offer your faith. If the god of the bible or a particular denomination is not what you worship, that god is not the god of your faith, but some other thing. Some other god if you're amiable to polytheism, or any number of other things if you're not.

It's kinda' the Fate Stay/Night Gae Bolg of theology. The spear pierces, and so must have hit, not hit, and thus may pierce. It is certain that god is good because what you worship is good, you don't worship god because it is certain that it is good. Whatever the blue hell it is you're dedicating your soul to is exactly what you say it is or it can keep its ruddy mitts off your soul.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 04, 2017, 09:30:04 pm »

Ooo religion.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 04, 2017, 09:55:25 pm »

I hear yah.
I'm just cooking. I'm on drugs
××××××××××××××××××
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]