Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Religious people, make yourselves known!  (Read 61247 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Religious people, make yourselves known!
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 06:48:15 pm »

Question: What's the difference between Tibetan and Shinto?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 06:51:34 pm »

Random guess.  One believes in Shinto deities and the other doesn't?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 06:53:22 pm »

Faithless here, I think that being sure of anything is rather silly, but have specific views on how god would be.
Basically, he couldn't be too evil as he would most likely get bored of being evil after a while, and he couldn't be good because that would also be kind of silly in my opinion. Nobody told him about morals and he obviously considers all life to be of lesser importance than him. He's probably very intelligent, and his main goal is keeping himself entertained. Thus he goes around messing with his playthings, sometimes being good to them, sometimes just forgetting about them when he decides to go play with some other sapient species elsewhere.
To god we are basically dwarves in his game of dwarf fortress, he doesn't, and shouldn't, care about our innermost feelings, nor what happens to us after we die.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 06:56:33 pm »

I am not a religious person, nor have I ever been.

My parents and their families went to Churches, Protestant or Baptist or Methodist or something.  For both of them, it had been so many years and so meaningless to them that neither remembers any passages or even specifics of their denomination, and never bring up religious matters or language in conversations.  The same essentially applies to the rest of my family; most the ones ever went to religious service at all have long since stopped.

Thanks to my great-grandparents, I've been to exactly two sermons in my life, and don't remember anything about either of them except being extremely bored.  For a year or so when I was a kid, I went to an evening Church school-thing with some friends.  I don't remember anything from that either except for one of the last times.  I asked the teacher (if that's the right word) when we were going to move on from the Bible and start learning stuff like math.  Not making a scene or anything, just as an aside.  She calmly told me that's what normal school is for.  And so, at the age of 8, I decided I'd heard all that religion had to tell me.

I've since found religious theory and history a fascinating subject, and combined with mathematical concepts like the meaning of infinity, have formed my own theories about what the concept of a God is supposed to represent.  I have no faith in anything that could be called God, be it a bearded man in the clouds who casts hugs or lightning bolts, or an all-encompassing sentience outside the grasp of human vision.  Not that I'm above taking His name in vain or shouting at Him when I'm stuck in traffic, but that's just habit.

I've at times flirted with Gnosticism or Pantheism, thinking I might as well recognize the limitations of human reason and accept that there could be an unseen Higher Power, or even that faith can empower people to greater faith than without.  I reject such ideas now, if for no other reason than that removing God from the equation of the universe requires finding demonstrable answers to replace Him.  I used to let myself be offended by other people's faith, but I'm more than willing to let it be a complete non-issue now.

The funny thing is, the further I've moved away from faith in any God, the more I've come to realize what an awful person I am.  Sometimes I wonder if this doesn't prove religious people right, or if I'd be even worse with self-righteousness on my side.  If nothing else, Atheism has taught me the value of religion; the world is a confusing place when you have to acknowledge that your decisions are born from your own judgment.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 06:58:34 pm »

Deeeep...
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 07:00:15 pm »

Question: What's the difference between Tibetan and Shinto?
That's a whole different religion, it's not a sect of Buddhism.

stonemt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 07:05:16 pm »

LDS here... not the BEST example of the group but there ya go...

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 07:06:20 pm »

I am an atheist,i never put one cent into the whole higher power thing,except there is one major flaw with me: i believe in Valhalla.i know,i just said i'm an atheist,but i have strong heritage ties to nordic beliefs and so i guess I'm more of an odinist than an atheist.the strong survive,and the strong go to Valhalla.it just fits,i guess.the only "heaven" that ever made sense to me.i guess im a combo darwinist-atheist-viking odinist. ponder that one.
This is a witty signature.all craftsmanship is of the highest quality.it menaces with spikes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 07:06:35 pm »

Wierd. Cos, my friend is a shinto buddhist.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2009, 07:09:27 pm »

i believe in Valhalla

Yeah... I like the idea of Valhalla... except that if any modern day people were to go to valhalla, they'd die.. a lot.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2009, 07:11:40 pm »

i believe in Valhalla

Yeah... I like the idea of Valhalla... except that if any modern day people were to go to valhalla, they'd die.. a lot.

But wouldn't modern Valhalla have assault rifles?  I mean, realistically, a place where there is constant warfare by day and then everyone comes back to life to feast all night would have to keep up on the latest in military hardware.  Ok, maybe what I should say is, how exactly do you believe in Valhalla?  The old legends are a bit... archaic, given modern killing technology.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:13:41 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 07:12:57 pm »

I doubt many people died a warrior with a sword in their hand while singing a battle song and believing in valhalla... At least, not for the previous two or three hundred years.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 07:14:47 pm »

Really though, in order to believe in Valhalla you'd kind of have to be a soldier wouldn't you?  Everyone who doesn't die in glorious battle gets sent to Hel.  I suppose we ought to shut up and let Nordic answer.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 07:17:12 pm »

Yeah, but if that happened, I'd have to endure the horrific threadsilence.

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2009, 07:17:54 pm »

i believe in Valhalla

haha,true.but that's not all it was about.i try living my life as true as possible to my ancestors.i exercise and do bodybuilding daily,i try to camp and hike as much as possible,joining the military soon,heck,the only un-viking thing i do is play df and post on these forums. and hey,if there is a sword and spear raid on yonder village,where do i sign up? :P
This is a witty signature.all craftsmanship is of the highest quality.it menaces with spikes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20