Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: Religious people, make yourselves known!  (Read 61221 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Religious people, make yourselves known!
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2009, 11:11:58 pm »

How do you know the will of the gods?

I don't?
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2009, 11:18:59 pm »

I don't?

So then how do you avoid incurring their wrath?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:20:38 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2009, 11:22:07 pm »

I don't?

I find hot chicks for Zeus to shag.
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2009, 11:38:09 pm »

I don't?

I'm beginning to think you're not being entirely upfront with me.  Zeus never needed any help from you finding hot chicks to shag.  And even if what you say is true, aren't you worried you'll incur the wrath of Hera?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2009, 11:44:20 pm »

I don't?

I'm beginning to think you're not being entirely upfront with me.  Zeus never needed any help from you finding hot chicks to shag.  And even if what you say is true, aren't you worried you'll incur the wrath of Hera?

Wouldn't she be more pissed off at the chicks he's shagging or him?

Either way I honestly don't worry about it, I'm not that important.
Steam Profile

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2009, 12:03:34 am »

I'm sorry.  I don't meant to offend you.  I just don't understand how exactly you're a Hellenistic Pagan.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:05:40 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2009, 01:37:34 am »

Theist, Muslim.

Not because I was born into it, but because it makes the most sense. I'm quick to challenge most "accepted beliefs" :P

Islam's got a solid devotion to philosophy, science, with the whole world + afterlife thing. And it's got some awesome people in both past and present. Islamic clerics are like the ones out of fantasy, they pray all night, train all day, cleave men in half, and conquer empires. The modern ones (and many historical ones) were full-time scientists.

And the religion does make an effort to argue for God's existence, rather than just relying on faith.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2009, 03:38:26 am »

Agnostic, but also maltheist if that means I really don't like what religion causes.

On the matter of the afterlife, my theories in descending order of likeliness;
1. There is no afterlife. The destruction of the brain is like the burning of a book, and people imagine afterlives to make themselves feel better about their inevitable death.
2. Combination of 3 and 4.
3. A system of instant reincarnation based on karma.
4. A system in which a souls collect into large wads based upon belief in another plane of existence. Probably stripping all intelligence just like reincarnation.
5. 2, but with some extra-planar collection of experience.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2009, 06:07:54 am »

Agnostic.

I believe that there is some higher power (or powers) but I don't subscribe to notion that there is a 'correct' religion. I assign my own ethics and morals and try to a abide by them, and if there is a God then I deal with them once I get there (if there is an afterlife at all.)
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2009, 06:32:26 am »

EXPLAIN COOKIES WITH THE PRIME GENETIC IMPERATIVE

They are food, and inevitably have sugar. Food is precious in the wild, it is required for survival, so evolution puts it at the top of the list.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2009, 06:38:23 am »

And energy is a prime requirement. Sugar has the most energy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2009, 06:47:51 am »

Muslim.
Raised as Sunni, taught NU (a ver. of Shafi'i) at school, chose to be Muhammadiya(same, but much more modernist. Or traditionalist, depending on your POV)
Also delved a bit at Hambali(madhzab of saudi arabia and liked it)
Don't like Sufiism that much...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2009, 06:50:38 am »

EXPLAIN COOKIES WITH THE PRIME GENETIC IMPERATIVE

They are food, and inevitably have sugar. Food is precious in the wild, it is required for survival, so evolution puts it at the top of the list.

I... I wasn't being serious.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2009, 08:59:40 am »

Used to be muslim, I now consider myself an atheist and I flit a bit towards agnosticism.

This is partly because most muslims I bump into on a regular basis don't bother living up to its teachings, but mostly because alot of what religions try to explain has been explained by science. The agnostic comes when I wonder whether God would find us believable; sounds strange? My view on this is that people that come up with things like comics, but they generally do not believe that the characters they create exist.

I'm perfectly fine with people believing in what they want, and would never push my beliefs upon others. I draw the line at aggressive conversions though.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2009, 06:05:33 pm »

I've always been curious about what it means to "believe that everything in the Bible is true".  Lots of people say stuff like that, but if you think about it, that's really a very strange statement.  There are tons of different Bibles.  Not all of them are even internally consistent.  How do you decide which one to believe in?

The Bible I'm talking about is I believe the closest to the original Greek bible. It contains the original Old Testament (Genesis, Exodus, and so on) and the New Testament. I do not believe that some other "additions" to the Bible, for instance the Book of Mormon, were God-inspired.

As to these inconsistencies, I would respectfully contest your claim that the Bible contradicts itself. However, if you could mention any of these inconsistencies, I would be more than happy to discuss them in detail.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20