Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: Religious people, make yourselves known!  (Read 60007 times)

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
Re: Religious people, make yourselves known!
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2009, 08:35:35 pm »

Atheist.
Not much to explain there.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2009, 08:39:28 pm »

Atheist.
Not much to explain there.

Considering how many people here seem to think Atheist means Agnostic I think there's a least a little to explain.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2009, 08:46:09 pm »

It's pretty easy.

Atheists are those who do not believe in god, or a higher power.

Agnostics are those who consider the possibility of there being a god, but sees that there is not enough proof for belief.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2009, 08:51:33 pm »

So wouldn't an Agnostic be atheistic for the duration of time that the existence of God is unproved?
If a higher power's existence were concretely proved, then I logically would have to accept his existence.

Maybe I don't understand the definition. If a god's existence were proven, would an atheist by definition refuse the proof?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2009, 08:55:25 pm »

No. You just would concretely not believe, until such a thing happens.

Agnostics are a religion of fence sitters. The people who say maybe god exists.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2009, 09:10:44 pm »

Haha, I just realized that I hadn't listed my own beliefs in my own thread. How lame.  :D

I would describe myself as a non-denominational Christian. I believe that the God of the Bible exists, and I believe that everything in the Bible is true. This, of course, leads to some very specific, often controversial beliefs, for instance a belief in absolute, inflexible morals.

The one thing that really led me to believing in a God was the question of how everything started. I personally find the Big Bang to be at the best astronomically unlikely. All of the modern explanations that I have seen descend into the realm of quantum physics, which is of course mostly theoretical.

In the end, it all boils down to a matter of faith, and I would much rather put my faith in a loving God than in a random quantum event.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2009, 09:16:53 pm »

Your faith inspires me. Not to do anything... but it just does. Now never read russel's teapot.

I actually refuse to read the bible, because an atheist friend of mine did, and spent the next few days going on and on about how hypocritical it was.
I want to not denounce the bible, keep my options open for ragnarok. Therefore, if I don't read it, then I can go without having to agree or disagree with it.

Hardcore agnosticism

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2009, 10:08:07 pm »

Haha, I just realized that I hadn't listed my own beliefs in my own thread. How lame.  :D

I would describe myself as a non-denominational Christian. I believe that the God of the Bible exists, and I believe that everything in the Bible is true. This, of course, leads to some very specific, often controversial beliefs, for instance a belief in absolute, inflexible morals.

The one thing that really led me to believing in a God was the question of how everything started. I personally find the Big Bang to be at the best astronomically unlikely. All of the modern explanations that I have seen descend into the realm of quantum physics, which is of course mostly theoretical.

In the end, it all boils down to a matter of faith, and I would much rather put my faith in a loving God than in a random quantum event.

I've always been curious about what it means to "believe that everything in the Bible is true".  Lots of people say stuff like that, but if you think about it, that's really a very strange statement.  There are tons of different Bibles.  Not all of them are even internally consistent.  How do you decide which one to believe in?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2009, 10:10:11 pm »

Roman Catholic.

Also: read the bible, Tack, especially verse 1:19 of the Book of Judges. It's hilarious.

Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.

I've always been curious about what it means to "believe that everything in the Bible is true".  Lots of people say stuff like that, but if you think about it, that's really a very strange statement.  There are tons of different Bibles.  Not all of them are even internally consistent.  How do you decide which one to believe in?

There's a difference between truth and fact sometimes, at least when it comes to abstractions.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2009, 10:23:04 pm »

Apparently the first bible is... flawed?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2009, 10:23:44 pm »

Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Oh my goodness, that is awesome.  I think I'll put it in my sig just for the heck of it- I mean hey, it's LEGO and an offshoot from the same religion mine came from!  I don't ever want to forget it.

As for truth and the bible, while I do believe most of the stories to be myths, I don't believe they're bunk.  It's a little difficult to explain.  But it's similar to how it is believed that myths in general are based on things that really happened.  Did they happen as the myths say it?  Probably not.  But a more realistic version of them might have actually happened, and possibly was in some way inherently linked with the religion from the start.

The reason I roll with christianity in particular is that 1) I grew up learning about it, and 2) as far as I know, the most basic morals taught in the new testament by Jesus match fairly well with my morals.  The Good Sumaritan has a good moral, one must admit (and this is from someone slightly paranoid, so that's really saying something).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 10:25:24 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Just so I remember

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2009, 10:28:18 pm »

There's a difference between truth and fact sometimes, at least when it comes to abstractions.

I don't understand.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2009, 10:31:01 pm »

I'll explain, but it's a bit stoner-riffic..

I like to think of love and goodness as a truth, but there's nothing factual about them. Rather I extrapolate their existence from certain facts - that people will go out of their way to do something good with no real benefit. So in this case "truth" and "fact" are distinct - one proceeds from the other, rather than being synonymous.

Most other times though they are synonymous.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2009, 10:36:56 pm »

I'll explain, but it's a bit stoner-riffic..

I like to think of love and goodness as a truth, but there's nothing factual about them. Rather I extrapolate their existence from certain facts - that people will go out of their way to do something good with no real benefit. So in this case "truth" and "fact" are distinct - one proceeds from the other, rather than being synonymous.

Most other times though they are synonymous.

If by "Stoner-riffic" you mean "Similar to Socrates" then yes, I totally agree.  That doesn't really answer my question though.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2009, 10:41:33 pm »

Right, sorry about that. What I meant was that, even though there are factual inconsistencies between most bibles, and internal inconsistencies as well, there's still Truth in them (the sort of truth I mentioned earlier).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20