Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pump stacking questions  (Read 2137 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pump stacking questions
« on: October 10, 2009, 07:12:23 pm »

OK, so I'm building a stack of pumps to bring magma onto the top of the keep I'm constructing, where I'll be able to dump on whichever side of the keep I like. Anyway, from what I've read, I can just have one dwarf cranking away at the bottom pump and it'll power the whole stack. That correct?

The other thing: here's how my stack looks from overhead:
Code: [Select]
###+#
#.Xx.#
#####
# = wall
X = higher end of pump
x = lower end of pump
. = empty space (the one on the right has magma below).
+ = door. My dwarf will stand in that spot to operate the pump.
Now, the level above looks identical, but with the X and x switched - and so on all the way up the stack. Standard pump stack I think. Anyway, this is the first time I've done this and the question is, on each level do I need to have
###+#
#_Xx.#
#####
where _ is a constructed floor - in order to stop the magma from just falling down to the level below? It seems like I would need that on at least the second level to stop it from falling right down and killing my pump operator. Is this necessary?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pump stacking questions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 07:22:35 pm »

Only "powered" pumps can transmit power.  "Power", in this context, does not come from dwarves, only from water wheels or windmills.  A dwarf can only power a single pump, no matter how strong he is.

Pump stacks also have to be missing a piece of floor on each level, between each pair of pumps, to transmit the power.

And to your last question, yes:  the input side of the pump needs to have no floor (a grate is OK), and the output side needs to have a floor.  For example:

SFSF

Where "S" is space and "F" is floor, this would support a pump that pumps to the right, from west to east (in the middle two tiles).  The pattern should reverse every level.  The outer "S" can be a grate but the inner one has to be empty.

Pump stacks that are run by dwarves probably won't work well, so hook up enough windmills to power the stack.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:25:50 pm by Saber Cherry »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 10:07:29 pm »

Both those things are good to know. A windmill shouldn't be too hard to set up.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:22:45 pm »

I have never gotten a wind-farm working,  Someone had said having two windmills next to each other was enough to increase power but I had like five of them in a row and still only put out like 30? power.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:42:16 pm »

You have to hook them all up together.  Connecting them at the bottom with gears and axles.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Viroath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 01:36:05 am »

Also, if you are dealing with Axles, connecting directly to a stack opens it up for the pumped medium (Water or Magma) to flow back up the axle.  Not a problem with water, but with wood being the only material for axles, Magma might not work that good.
Ex:
##D###
#.pP+#
###A##

#=Wall
.=Open Space
+=Floor
D=Dorr
A=Assembly (Axle or Gear)
pP=Pump, west to east. (Or from West)
In the above example, magma will flow along the diagonal into the Assembly and down the shaft used for it as none of the Assembly components block traffic.  So unless you use only Magma safe gears the entire way, which would be a huge power waste, you need another way.

One trick is to power it from the top of the stack, but that isn't always viable depending on what power sources you are using (Since 10 tiles of horizontal axles eats only 3 logs, but vertical travel is at 1:1).

The solution, same legend:
##D###
#.pP+#
##pP##
###A##
The second pump, while not moving anything, will transfer power to the rest of the pump stack at a mere cost of 10 extra power.  The second pump blocks liquids and traffic, sealing the wall and protecting the assembly from flooding.  But this is only required if you aren't providing power from above the stack.  If you would have the power assembly on the same level as the pump stack at any point, then use this plan for the level that the pump stack meets the assembly.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:38:51 am by Viroath »

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 05:33:34 am »

And to your last question, yes:  the input side of the pump needs to have no floor (a grate is OK), and the output side needs to have a floor.  For example:

SFSF

Where "S" is space and "F" is floor, this would support a pump that pumps to the right, from west to east (in the middle two tiles).  The pattern should reverse every level.  The outer "S" can be a grate but the inner one has to be empty.

The outer S can also be a hatch linked to a lever - this can be good to create an on/off switch (only required on one level of the stack), unless you prefer an engaging/disengaging gear assembly - although the hatch method is typically a very simple option.

mkavanagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 05:36:51 pm »

Also, if you are dealing with Axles, connecting directly to a stack opens it up for the pumped medium (Water or Magma) to flow back up the axle.  Not a problem with water, but with wood being the only material for axles, Magma might not work that good.
Only if you connect to the blocked tile (the one on the output side). It is perfectly possible (I am looking at my active pump powered by this method right now) to connect power to the open tile (the one that dwarves pump from) which avoids leaks entirely and presents no disadvantages since axles and gear assemblies do not block movement.

Essentially: just connect to the open tile.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 06:01:48 pm »

Ex:
##D###
#.pP+#
###A##

#=Wall
.=Open Space
+=Floor
D=Dorr
A=Assembly (Axle or Gear)
pP=Pump, west to east. (Or from West)
In the above example, magma will flow along the diagonal into the Assembly and down the shaft used for it as none of the Assembly components block traffic.  So unless you use only Magma safe gears the entire way, which would be a huge power waste, you need another way.

Have you tried
##D###
#.pP+#
##A###

That allways seems to work for me. 

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 06:18:44 pm »

I always connect power to my pump stacks by moving it over one of the open spaces:

#|#
#|#
#|#
#p#
#P#
#~#
###

Where 'p' is the 'input' or walkable tile of the pump, and P is the output or blocked tile.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.