Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [40d16] Moody dwarf won't stop gathering stone.  (Read 30892 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
[40d16] Moody dwarf won't stop gathering stone.
« on: October 11, 2009, 05:47:09 pm »

Got a mood when I was expecting an ambush. The "Soldiers May Go Outside" order was on. Moody dwarf claimed an outdoor Mason's Workshop.

He just kept gathering stone... Moreover, he just STOPS working when I change the order to allow all dwarves outside. However, he returns to gathering items when I change it back to "Soldiers May Go Outside."

He currently has 21 over 30 OVER A DOZEN PAGES OF stones in the workshop, and is still going... He seems to have a preference for stones that are a LONG way away from the claimed workshop.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:42:25 pm by Lord Dakoth »
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Moody dwarf won't stop gathering stone.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:18:10 pm »

I think we found out how Planepacked was created.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 06:33:17 pm »

No kidding. 34 stones and rising.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:11:26 pm »

Are all of the stones in the workshop T(a)SKed?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:29:27 pm »

Yes they are. 230 and rising.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:40:02 pm »

A more legitimate way to manipulate the value of the artifact would be to forbid all regular stones.  That way, he will use up all the copper nuggets, native gold, and flux first.  Once your valuable stones are depleted, he will stop working and you can unforbid the rest of the stone.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 11:23:18 pm »

Pause the game, back up your current save and SAVE RIGHT NOW.  If it keeps going after you load the game, upload the save.

There's a listed bug with symptoms that might match yours.  It's marked "doesn't reproduce," so if you can catch it in action, hooray.

# 000209 ▨ (doesn't reproduce) [dwarf mode][moods]   mood dwarf went crazy after working on their artifact for a long time
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:25:15 pm by Footkerchief »

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 11:52:13 pm »

Uploaded save.
Download it <a href="http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1483>here[/url].

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 05:22:54 pm »

Uploaded save.
Download it <a href="http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1483>here[/url].

Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire. The moody dwarf just ran back and forth through the fires, while the humans ignited.

Also, your fort design is alien and foreign.

Still waiting for the dwarf to finish... I think the reason he's going way over to the other side of the map is because that stone is 'indoors'. Though he stops collecting the stone when you allow him outside; I think it's moving on to the next item then.

After he collected some more odds and ends [I think you *have* to allow all dwarves access to outside for him to finish] he finished building a quern that had about 30 pages of text, including what seems like the entire history of his civ. The World Quern, if you will.

Someone try getting a mason to claim a mason's workshop outside while restrictive orders are in play and see if you can re-create this?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:36:29 pm by Foxbyte »
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 05:28:13 pm »

Sounds like you have some custom raws, Lord Dakoth?  Might need to upload those too.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 05:40:55 pm »

Sounds like you have some custom raws, Lord Dakoth?  Might need to upload those too.

Certainly not that I'm aware of. I'll do a double check, but I'm 99% positive that this is completely vanilla.

As to the igniting human caravan, it's very possible that a magma man or fire man attacked. On my game, the magma man attacked the humans at the depot, but they dispatched him before he ignited anything. So it's not just a random occurrence.

In other news, I uploaded the save that contains the finished artifact. It can be found <a href="http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1485>here[/url].

Goldsie

• Bay Watcher
  • Tears the throats out of wolves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 03:58:08 am »

This seems exactly the same as the way my artifact (Planepacked) was created, and I believe that my fort was in lockdown at the time so 'no dwarves allowed outside', or 'only soldiers allowed outdoors' would probably have been active. Nice pick up on a likely cause.
http://springrts.com/

play it, love it

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 07:40:31 am »

Also explains why Planepacked is all stone: it's the only item the dwarf will task repeatedly.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 10:54:11 am »

I just tried this myself (using reclaim on a Goblin tower to get 42 dwarves instantly, and using Dwarf Companion to force an InstaMood) with an outdoor workshop, and as long as dwarves weren't allowed outside, a moody dwarf would repeatedly try to gather additional instances of his first item, but once I allowed dwarves to go outside again, he continued on to the next item and eventually finished the artifact (with results similar to above).

Further tests should be done to see if ordering a moody dwarf inside after collecting the first few items can cause him to repeat an item further down on the list (such as gems or metal bars on a wood craft, for example).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 09:17:32 pm »

Hmm. If that works, then with a little judicious quantum stockpiling, you might be able to make a maxed-out-price artefact.               Or, you know, break the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4