Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [40d16] Moody dwarf won't stop gathering stone.  (Read 31273 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Moody dwarf won't stop gathering stone.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 09:26:57 pm »

I wonder if Toady will fix this in time for the next release.
Well, after almost a year, it seems like the Planepacked mystery is finally solved! Good job, ladies and gents!
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 10:14:38 pm »

It's probably been rendered obsolete because the "stay inside" order has been scrapped in favor of burrows.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 10:26:55 pm »

Good point, hadn't thought of that... ;)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 04:45:48 am »

Here is the dump : http://bartabox.banquise.net/df/broiledprince.txt

Let me know if i failed.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 08:31:31 am »

You didn't enable the display of history info in engravings, so there's a lot less detail in that dump.

Incidentally, it seems to contain exactly 21 images of itself, far short of Planepacked's 73.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:33:19 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 09:19:57 am »

You didn't enable the display of history info in engravings, so there's a lot less detail in that dump.

Incidentally, it seems to contain exactly 21 images of itself, far short of Planepacked's 73.

Fixed, download again.

Planepacked is here : http://bartabox.banquise.net/df/planepacked.txt

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 01:50:28 am »

Hmm. If that works, then with a little judicious quantum stockpiling, you might be able to make a maxed-out-price artefact.               Or, you know, break the game.

I wonder if the game checks for overflow/underflow.

This is an obsidian floodgate. It is worth negative infinity money. Dwarves are repulsed at the sight of it.

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:04:49 pm »

I'd just like to report that I had this happen with metal bars instead of stone...  he ended up creating a nickel crossbow out of about a dozen bars before i removed the stay outdoors command. I would have let it run but this is a new fort and I haven't smelted many bars yet.

In this case the metalsmiths' forge itself was on the surface. He used all of the bars i had underground and i think took some from the caravan on the surface that I hadn't moved to my stockpile yet.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 10:07:18 pm by GoldenH »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 04:35:55 am »

Interesting. So, in the case where they claim a jewellers' shop and make an artifact 'large gem', could you use this bug to make the moody dwarf create, say, a Large PlumeAgateSapphireYellowGrossularPlumeAgatePlumeAgatePlumeAgateChrysoberylFaintYellowDiamondPlumeAgate?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 10:20:10 am »

No, just like Planepacked isn't a statue made of a large composite of stones. The first collected item is used as the base for the artifact, and every other collected item is used to add a decoration.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 12:58:43 pm »

Yeah, it was still just a zinc crossbow.

Honestly I prefer big artifacts (about a dozen or so items), because they look better. I find it really annoying when I get artifacts made out of a single item, because they're not interesting at all.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 04:32:55 pm »

Quote from: Derakon
Oh right, I can only remember getting artifact large gems made out of a single base gem  :P

Quote from: GoldenH
I'm more concerned with functionality, myself. I tend to first train all my farmers/peasants/etc in masonry, carpentry or whatever to get artifact furniture, and then weaponsmithing/armouring to get artifact gear. My current fortress is actually really lucky; I've had leather helms, silk ropes, bone gauntlets, shell helms, gem beds and metal chains made by moody dwarves, rather than the usual useless trinkets.

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 12:07:20 am »

Personally I don't care about functionality. Masterwork Steel Weapons/whatever are badass enough. Artifacts are mostly there for the cool stories, and I get cooler stories with bigger artifacts. instead of "oh wow another random encrusted/woven image/whatever item with no story"

Anyway I got another moody metalsmith dwarf, fortunately I had deconstructed all my smithing buildings in preperation for this. I found a few neat things:

* Dwarf will only collect a lot of the original item type (in this case, metal bars). He will only collect the correct number of other items.

* Dwarf will only collect indoor items.

* I was able to rotate through the items one at a time by switching between 'soldiers go outdoors' and 'everyone goes outdoors'. When no items were indoors or all dwarves were ordered indoors, dwarf stopped on his shop and waited.

* switching between 'soldiers can go outdoors', waiting a few ticks, and switching back to 'dwarfs can go outdoors' progressed item one at a time.

*letting dwarfs go outside and bring in more items from the supply depot meant that the dwarf collected them when i switched back to 'soldiers can go outdoors' I'm not sure if this is because it went 'metal rock metal' or if it just switched back to metal by itself?

Spoiler: images (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 12:52:12 am by GoldenH »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 05:52:33 pm »

Wow. Okay, so let's see. An anvil takes three metal bars to make. So we can assume a metal bar is at least half the size of a dwarf. So, with almost sixty bars in this ring, it should be the size of thirty dwarves. Which tends to indicate it was made for the finger of... what?

It also, of course, raises the question of how it fits in the forge. Presumably he constructed it in segments, stacking them on top of each other and crawling all over them to work on the next one.

What I am picturing is basically a big metal particle accelerator, resting on two tiny stubs of obsidian, with LED lights made of zircon and pyrope. Scattered incongruously on its surface are little pictures of flies made of bluefish leather and glued-on chunks of smashed-up turtle shell.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 05:56:09 pm »

How do you figure that an anvil is half again as big as a dwarf?

Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4