Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2173 2174 [2175]

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 1835407 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32610 on: April 07, 2020, 12:43:44 pm »

I fully agree, it's not a bad thing in itself. However, there's a trade off between self-contained episodes and overarching plot. For Avatar, I think there was a fair bit of executive meddling: the network(s) preferred a show you can just jump in at any episode and follow along. But as the show became successful the creators were able to break those constraints down, to the point that Korra had a unified narrative across the 13 episodes of each season. Avatar was already a pretty good show, it just could have been even better if they didn't have to adhere to the episodic formula of traditional broadcast kid's shows.
I agree with all the component parts of this post but taken as a whole you seem to be implying that Legend of Korra is better than The Last Airbender and that sure is a hot take to just throw in there as justification for another point.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32611 on: April 07, 2020, 05:42:52 pm »

Just finished Fullmetal Alchemist. Nice.

Starting FMA: Brotherhood now!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32612 on: April 08, 2020, 01:53:09 am »

I fully agree, it's not a bad thing in itself. However, there's a trade off between self-contained episodes and overarching plot. For Avatar, I think there was a fair bit of executive meddling: the network(s) preferred a show you can just jump in at any episode and follow along. But as the show became successful the creators were able to break those constraints down, to the point that Korra had a unified narrative across the 13 episodes of each season. Avatar was already a pretty good show, it just could have been even better if they didn't have to adhere to the episodic formula of traditional broadcast kid's shows.
I agree with all the component parts of this post but taken as a whole you seem to be implying that Legend of Korra is better than The Last Airbender and that sure is a hot take to just throw in there as justification for another point.

Particularly since the episodic-but-with-a-clear-direction nature if the show is one if the things it made better than Korra's design
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32613 on: April 08, 2020, 07:41:10 am »

Particularly since the episodic-but-with-a-clear-direction nature if the show is one if the things it made better than Korra's design
Especially since it only has a few filler episodes. Pretty much every episode is important for some reason or another, even if it is a little episodic.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32614 on: April 08, 2020, 02:02:30 pm »

Just finished Fullmetal Alchemist. Nice.

Starting FMA: Brotherhood now!
Good stuff.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32615 on: April 08, 2020, 02:19:27 pm »

See Zangi zignature
Love, scriver~

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32616 on: April 09, 2020, 10:53:28 am »

Backstreet Girls on Netflix is pretty good. It's the typical "cute anime girls have wacky misunderstandings" setup. Except the main characters are all male yakuza who, as punishment, were forced to undergo sex changes and form a pop idol group.

It's a minefield of possible transphobic jokes, but I've found that (except for one or two instances) it generally shies away from that into more typical "side character doesn't know the secret, hilarity ensues" bits. Full disclosure, A) I'm not trans and B) I haven't finished the series, but I'd recommend only watching it if you're okay with that kind of humor.

I generally prefer subs to dubs for a number of reasons, but Backstreet Girls is the first dub I've seen that I would say is actually bad. A lot of times the actors' emotion doesn't match what's happening on screen. When a character yells, the actor "yells" in a weirdly restrained way, as if they're trying not to disturb people in other rooms. They can pull off the typical anime dub voices just fine, so I'm thinking maybe poor direction?

It's a mixed bag but funny enough to pass the time. The formula gets a bit old, but that just happens with this kind of "quirky misunderstanding" sitcom setup (is there a name for this?)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:57:31 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 2173 2174 [2175]