Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Reality, The Universe and the World. Which will save us from AI?

Reality
- 13 (68.4%)
Universe
- 3 (15.8%)
The World
- 3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]

Author Topic: What will save us from AI? Reality, the Universe or The World $ Place your bet.  (Read 23631 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

It's definitely going to be interesting, especially as it boils down to "What is the point in making a distinction of a human learning by seeing/hearing something, versus the distinction of a computer learning by seeing/hearing something"?

Note that there is no legal precedent for getting penalized for merely learning something by seeing/hearing it.  There is only penalty for exactly reproducing the thing seen/heard (e.g., by learning a song by ear, then performing it; or by typing out exactly the recollection of a book, and selling copies of it).

I'm eating my popcorn, waiting for the mess that the courts are going to make of this and the havoc it's going to wreak on the already problematic education system.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Note that you can't put the genie back in the bottle. No matter what future laws and court decisions will come, people will finetune models on copyrighted stuff, and people will train LORAs on copyrighted stuff. Stopping them will be harder than eliminating torrent piracy.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

So little Timmy gets five dollars per art piece and then 500 companies proceed to use his data for ten thousand years.
Isn't that basically what happened to Henrietta Lacks? Except without even the five bucks, ha.

Iirc there was a bit more payout to her estate/living family some years back, but gods know I don't recall the details and can't be arsed to check them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]