Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6726 6727 [6728] 6729 6730 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8568548 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #100905 on: January 17, 2016, 04:18:38 pm »

While 5 years ago, 388 individuals together owned as much money as the poorest half of the world population (3.5 billion people), in 5 years time the gap has grown even further.
According to Oxfam Novib (The organization for cooperation in global developmental aid), 62 individuals together now own as much as the poorest half of the world population. This is not because 320 rich people keeled over and died, no, the statistics have changed because the poor half of world population owns even less than 5 years ago.

The poorest half of world population saw their assets drop by a stunning 41% over the past 5 years, which amounts to around a trillion dollars.
Meanwhile in the same 5 years, the total assets of the 62 richest people on the planet rose with 0.5 trillion dollars.

Oxfam urges worldwide governments to put a stop to the existance of tax paradises. Estimates are, that 7.6 trillion dollar worth of private funds are stowed away in such places.

Link to the Oxfam report: http://vkplusmobilebackend.persgroep.net/rest/content/assets/ca87ebd2-9f11-4978-badc-985905c458c2
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 04:26:03 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #100906 on: January 17, 2016, 08:24:53 pm »

I would disagree with that! I think Shook12 is a very good example. He has some degree in geology, and is going to some video game school.
Oh how i wish i could remove that 12 from my nick on there. :P
I don't actually have a degree, i dropped out at the end of the 5th semester because i couldn't handle the stress. And yes, i am going to a fancy folk high school for... 17 weeks, i think. It won't even net me a certificate of any kind due to the absence of exams, but at least it can go on my CV. Frankly, i'm still not entirely sure if it's what i want, but it sure as hell is more appealing than most other options i've looked at. It's not like i know what else i'd pick, anyways, because my brain just wants to goof around all day while playing video games and making dumb doodles. I'd say voice acting, but i can barely even speak normally without tripping over my words. :I

Alas, folk high school is NOT free, much unlike most other education in Denmark. Double alas, my money reserve is not large enough to pay it all, so i'll need a job or some other kind of noticable income. Triple alas, it is HARD to find any jobs (or places to live) in a city with a university as large as this. Quadruple alas, my hands are still sub-par, and i'm probably too lazy to handle a job for more than a few days. QUINTUPLE alas, most "jobs" that seem tolerable are calls for unpaid volunteer work. ::)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #100907 on: January 17, 2016, 09:31:50 pm »

While 5 years ago, 388 individuals together owned as much money as the poorest half of the world population (3.5 billion people), in 5 years time the gap has grown even further.
According to Oxfam Novib (The organization for cooperation in global developmental aid), 62 individuals together now own as much as the poorest half of the world population. This is not because 320 rich people keeled over and died, no, the statistics have changed because the poor half of world population owns even less than 5 years ago.

The poorest half of world population saw their assets drop by a stunning 41% over the past 5 years, which amounts to around a trillion dollars.
Meanwhile in the same 5 years, the total assets of the 62 richest people on the planet rose with 0.5 trillion dollars.

Oxfam urges worldwide governments to put a stop to the existance of tax paradises. Estimates are, that 7.6 trillion dollar worth of private funds are stowed away in such places.

Link to the Oxfam report: http://vkplusmobilebackend.persgroep.net/rest/content/assets/ca87ebd2-9f11-4978-badc-985905c458c2
You gotta wonder what they need all that money for. I mean, the Powerball in the US has everyone freaking out about potentially winning ~400 million dollars after taxes because that amount of money would mean you could live luxuriously for the rest of your life. What could you possibly do with multiple billions/trillions of dollars apart from go 'ha, look at how big numbers I have'?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100908 on: January 17, 2016, 09:36:18 pm »

Pay the bill for right to join illuminati, obviously

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #100909 on: January 17, 2016, 09:37:02 pm »

Buy the president.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #100910 on: January 17, 2016, 09:48:25 pm »

Fund charities to help the poorer half
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100911 on: January 17, 2016, 09:50:42 pm »

Fund research into breeding tiny hippoes as pets.

Make a private space company.

Start a charity that gives beer to people in need.

Have a Scrooge McDuck swimming pool.

Tons of stuff to do with large amounts of money. Although, for a lot of the superrich, lots of money stops being lots at a certain point. Larger things require larger amounts of money to do. You'd have to me superrich+ to do anything REALLY neat.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100912 on: January 17, 2016, 09:55:52 pm »

Fund research into breeding tiny hippoes as pets.

Make a private space company.

Start a charity that gives beer to people in need.

Have a Scrooge McDuck swimming pool.

Tons of stuff to do with large amounts of money. Although, for a lot of the superrich, lots of money stops being lots at a certain point. Larger things require larger amounts of money to do. You'd have to me superrich+ to do anything REALLY neat.

I wouldn't be surprised if power was a function of log(money).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #100913 on: January 17, 2016, 10:12:54 pm »

Ah - uh - it's still there on DEVIANTART!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

But I'm sorry.

With what little I know, which is really nothing, it seems like you'd be best off making some indie game and asking a youtuber like Mathas to play it. You've got the other thingy going on, or something, so, uh...
No need to be sorry, i ain't mad. :v
If you're talking about Angry Laser Space, then yes, i'm totally going to spread it around once it's done (gonna have to note Mathas down, hee hee), and silently hope that people will voluntarily donate DOSH to us so i can have the DOSH i paid for music refunded. I don't regret doing that, but back then, i also didn't think i'd be going to folk high school. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100914 on: January 18, 2016, 04:16:22 am »

I've been playing Project Mirai DX for the 3DS, and it's a great rhythm game with a gamut of fun songs. But damn, do rhythm games just always remind me how tired I am all the time. That bit of languor always weighing down on me makes me trip up on simple combinations, and make stupid mistakes all the time. It's as infuriating as it is depressing.

I could get more sleep, but damn that's hard too...

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100915 on: January 18, 2016, 08:15:19 am »

To go for psychology major you need insane mathematical skills, and I always sucked in maths :'(

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #100916 on: January 18, 2016, 09:10:22 am »

Contemplating Reiko, a webcomic I used to follow, is officially dead; hasn't been touched for two years.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:16:01 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100917 on: January 18, 2016, 10:20:21 am »

I don't know why I even look at this thread. It just makes me sad, well, mostly. And I suk at, well, y'know, the stuff Tiruin and TheBiggerFish are good at.
*blinks*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #100918 on: January 18, 2016, 04:19:12 pm »

that's really good though, im sorry your mother doesn't seem to get that and insists on being really confusing ??? :-\

im proud of you at the very least :P go you!!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100919 on: January 18, 2016, 05:14:21 pm »

@Caroline:Better than I'm doing!
Grats on being awesome!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 6726 6727 [6728] 6729 6730 ... 8156